Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > By what legal authority is the Lake Isabel dam allowed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 am 
I didn’t notice the corrugated pipe thingy, but did notice the concrete work; and you didn’t notice the concrete work but noticed the corrugated pipe thingy. Had we been there together, we’d have been as One. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
The natural outlet of Lake Isabel, and the outlet which is the source of most of May Creek's flow year round, is 200 yards further northwest. This artificial channel appears to have been cut by miners, presumably as several have suggested above, to lower Lake Isabel and supplement May Creek's flow in late summer to keep Pelton wheels for the Copper Bell and Jumbo mines running.
Peo Orvendal photographed and wrote:
Scrambling down the slope and towards May Creek, we found our target; an old Pelton wheel from the Jumbo Mine. The 10-foot wheel was fed water from the creek, and was used to generate compressed air into the container. This was then used to drive twelve compressed air drills, and a 90-horsepower dynamo used to generate electricity for lighting. A report from 1907 claims there were two water wheels in use here, but now there's only the remains of one of them to be found.
A report here on NWhikers includes photos of the air compressors and generator. A century later, Wild Sky Wilderness includes this century-old permanent artificial channel, and a decade later:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
I've never figured out how this is allowed, except that float planes like (need) it.
That's rewriting history. This channel was cut one or two decades before Bill Boeing built and flew the first floatplane in the Northwest in 1917. It certainly wasn't built because "float planes like (need) it". I'm not following the logic here. If you feel this artificial channel shouldn't be there, and the area should be restored to primeval conditions, then this artificial channel should be permanently blocked and filled back in, not opened. The "next best" thing is to maintain the weir, so the Lake Isabel's level isn't artificially lowered. But when wilderness is designated containing permanent structures, well, we have a wilderness with permanent structures in it.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Great input but please don't turn this into an argument where none exists. It's an interesting subject and we're enjoying the discussion about Ringleandclaw's question.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm 
RodF wrote:
The natural outlet of Lake Isabel, and the outlet which is the source of most of May Creek's flow year round, is 200 yards further northwest. This artificial channel appears to have been cut by miners, presumably as several have suggested above, to lower Lake Isabel and supplement May Creek's flow in late summer to keep Pelton wheels for the Copper Bell and Jumbo mines running.
Peo Orvendal photographed and wrote:
Scrambling down the slope and towards May Creek, we found our target; an old Pelton wheel from the Jumbo Mine. The 10-foot wheel was fed water from the creek, and was used to generate compressed air into the container. This was then used to drive twelve compressed air drills, and a 90-horsepower dynamo used to generate electricity for lighting. A report from 1907 claims there were two water wheels in use here, but now there's only the remains of one of them to be found.
A report here on NWhikers includes photos of the air compressors and generator. A century later, Wild Sky Wilderness includes this century-old permanent artificial channel, and a decade later:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
I've never figured out how this is allowed, except that float planes like (need) it.
That's rewriting history. This channel was cut one or two decades before Bill Boeing built and flew the first floatplane in the Northwest in 1917. It certainly wasn't built because "float planes like (need) it". I'm not following the logic here. If you feel this artificial channel shouldn't be there, and the area should be restored to primeval conditions, then this artificial channel should be permanently blocked and filled back in, not opened. The "next best" thing is to maintain the weir, so the Lake Isabel's level isn't artificially lowered. But when wilderness is designated containing permanent structures, well, we have a wilderness with permanent structures in it.
Your explanation certainly seems plausible, it would have been nice if you had stated this pages earlier, and without the passive ad hominem attack

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:37 pm 
Yes, the weir and the channel were 1890's vintage for the mines but the standpipe and platform are modern. As I said previously, I believe it's to house a level recorder to monitor stream flow and lake capacity. I helped a Conservation District install one last week very similar to that, though their size is now much smaller with the newest equipment.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:46 pm 
Gotta agree with Schroder. Initially I thought it was a gauging station, but Schroder's explanation makes more sense. As for the seaplane thing, it's a very deep lake one or more feet difference in elevation is irreverent (not a sea plane owner, but seriously the landing strip is 1 to 3 feet lower ?/! how is this relevant)?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 11:11 am 
This is another great thread on NWHikers. If miners cut the channel, the dam/weir would bring the water level back to its original height.
H. Hound wrote:
not a sea plane owner, but seriously the landing strip is 1 to 3 feet lower ?/! how is this relevant
It would not be relevant to landing. A backcountry lake is either big enough to land a float plane safely, or it is not. But getting to shore requires a bit of planning so as not to run aground. I think these folks carry boats for that but if you could taxi to camp that would save a lot of hassle.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 pm 
Discovering Washington's Historic MInes discusses the use of water energy from May Creek for mining, as Schroder says; it doesn't say anything about a wier or dam at Lake Isabel though; but surely Schroder is correct. Will continue looking for that bit of information I had read about the area. Now I'm wondering if I hadn't read about it in some wierd, obscure publication I ran across in a dusty back room at a USFS office.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 04, 2018 6:20 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
So if it were removed, filled in, etc. would this have no effect on float planes landing? Sounds like it as they don't really NEED it correct? Do you have an objection to them landing on the lake?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri May 04, 2018 8:32 am 
timberghost wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
So if it were removed, filled in, etc. would this have no effect on float planes landing? Sounds like it as they don't really NEED it correct? Do you have an objection to them landing on the lake?
My entire reason for starting this thread was because the recent 8-mile Lake thread piqued my interest in the Lake Isabel structure. I had called the USFS in the past, and gotten nowhere. When I had been at the lake in the past, I hadn't thought to look of other outfalls, and I thought the obvious outfall was the natural outlet, and that it's rather unique shape was due to being confined to an eroded dike. Then I wondered why there was a dam. I had followed at least some to the Pelton piping up and east, away from the direction on the lake, so I thought that the entirety of the piping came from the creek which has slid a number of times over the years. So then the question became why was the dam there? It was clearly maintained and constructed of newer materials, so float planes came to mind. I'm quite content that plane are allowed there, and have even looked into flying to the lake myself. I was just wondering why there was a dam and thought that since the USFS couldn't answer my question, and since the Washing DOE is seeming unaware of the dam, that this was a good question to ask here. I had no idea that asking the question was going to Rod to channel his inner Treeswarper and accuse me of re-writing history

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri May 04, 2018 6:15 pm 
So that corrugated stand pipe is almost certainly a gauge for water level in the lake - it wouldn't make sense for it to be a stream gauge since there are two outlets to the lake. Assuming that is the case, the weir is likely there to provide an even reading on the gauge and nothing more. I really doubt it's big enough to have any measurable impact on the pool elevation of the lake itself. The other possibility is it was constructed to prevent the full volume of May Creek from channeling down that outlet stream rather than the other one (and the gauge would then probably be there to monitor the level of the lake to ensure the dam isn't breached and pouring down that side exclusively). I had never even considered the possibility that this outlet would be unnatural, but looking at how uniformly that channel is carved again, plus the mining activity nearby, it makes perfect sense. If the channel was deliberately dug deep enough to provide maximum flow to power a pelton wheel, I could see valid reasons for attempting to plug up that side after the mine(s) ceased operating because sending the whole creek down that outlet could potentially have damaged the roads downstream.

GC99

GC99
PostSun May 13, 2018 6:55 pm 
I'm pretty sure that the pelton wheel was not connected to the dam on Lake Isabel. The Copper Belle powerhouse had around a 1600' long penstock with a head of around 300' (I read this in a promotion for the mine written when it was running). That means that the top of the penstock is only 300' above the powerhouse. The lake is over 1000' above the powerhouse so it is really unlikely that it was was used for the mine. Maybe it had something to do with the Red Cross prospects which were closer to the lake. My guess is that it was related to the historic cabin that used to be at the head of the lake, and was maybe made to flood out some of the marsh around it so the lake would be nicer. It's still a really neat dam though, there aren't many historic ones like that still in the area that are holding water.

RodF

RodF
PostMon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm 
GC99 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the pelton wheel was not connected to the dam on Lake Isabel
It wasn't physically connected by a pipe, but could regulate the flow of May Creek to operate the Pelton wheels downstream. HP = flow/cfs * head/ft / 8.8 If we assume the two Pelton wheels together had a capacity of 100 hp and a head of 300 feet, and ignore losses, they required a flow of at least: flow/cfs = 100 hp * 8.8 / 300 feet = 3 cfs Lake Isabel is 1.3 miles long, and I'm guessing its area is roughly 1 mile x 1000 feet = 5 million square feet = 115 acres. Lowering Lake Isabel by 1 foot could supply them for 58 days at 8 hours/day (again, ignoring losses). Along with impounding the lake outlet at night when the mines were not in operation, this could allow them to operate through August and September when May Creek might otherwise be too low. (If we assume ~70% efficiency for the Pelton wheels and ~70% efficiency after frictional losses and leaks in the 1600 ft of pipe to them, then net efficiency might be ~50%. This doubles the required flow, and halves the lake's capacity.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
GC99

GC99
PostTue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm 
That could be that they raised the lake to provide a backup when it got drier, but none of the reports I have seen on the mine mentioned the dam in relation to the mine. The old mining reports and promotions usually mention things such as that since they were so expensive to make for such a large lake back then, and the mining companies would want to make it known that they expended so much money on that. The more they can say that they've improved the mine (powerhouse, mill, etc.) the more attractive it was to investors. It looks like the "Sultan Electric Co" had a dam on the lake according to: https://books.google.com/books?id=2A9GAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA5-PA33&lpg=RA5-PA33&dq=%22lake+isabel%22+%22dam%22+%22may+creek%22&source=bl&ots=W378sNjyj7&sig=pGsA2n4_HNRIoNz18msiLyh3EPQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB1NeynInbAhVT4mMKHemfC-IQ6AEIZzAN#v=onepage&q&f=false A map of the mine property from 1905 in the Index Museum shows a powerhouse owned by some other company located a ways below the mill (possibly the Sultan Electric co), but I don't think it was related to the mine. It seems like something that was there before the mine was developed and provided power to the town below it. The map shows a penstock running from the powerplant owned by the other company off of the map, so maybe it connected to the lake. The old promotion said that the other company was able to provide power to the mine, but had not done so when it was written. If I recall correctly, the mine didn't really expand that much after the promotion was written so it seems like they wouldn't have used the extra power. The mine had a large generator inside their powerplant (the one with the compressor) that was enough to run the mill and provide lighting. One last thing I thought interesting was this: https://books.google.com/books?id=rEg_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA426&lpg=PA426&dq=%22lake+isabel%22+%22dam%22+%22may+creek%22&source=bl&ots=uNQsAaYt6X&sig=JUYqNqGdzP7yc_LzVrpMmyAkMHE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB1NeynInbAhVT4mMKHemfC-IQ6AEIajAO#v=onepage&q=%22lake%20isabel%22%20%22dam%22%20%22may%20creek%22&f=false The Everett Railway and Electric Co. had a plan to put a much larger dam on the lake and build a 10,000 hp powerplant which would have been quite amazing. I guess they never got together enough funding.

RodF

RodF
PostWed May 16, 2018 7:41 am 
GC99 wrote:
It looks like the "Sultan Electric Co" had a dam on the lake according to
That's neat! It shows Sultan Electric applied for a permit to build a 5,000 hp, 25 cfs power plant on May Creek (which would've required a penstock capturing the full head from the lake elevation down to the valley floor) and build a dam to raise Lake Isabel to store 10,000 acre-feet of water (guess that might be roughly 30 to 50 feet tall, and triple the area of the lake?). This speculative project was never built, perhaps because in the same year 1926 "The Puget Sound Power & Light Company, Seattle, has acquired through purchase the entire transmission, distribution and generating system of the Sultan Electric Company. Under the purchase, the Puget Sound company will serve the towns of Sultan, Startup and Gold Bar." PSP&L (now PSE) had much bigger plans elsewhere...