Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low Carb/Keto Backpacking
Previous :: Next Topic  
Mtngirl717

Mtngirl717
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:17 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Has anyone here had experience with eating extremely low carb/keto on multi-day backpacking trips? Looking for some food ideas beyond the usual tuna/jerky/cheese/nuts. Thanks!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm 
I am not sure what you are asking for, what our experience was or meal ideas. I will give you my experience.

I wouldn't call what I did as "extremely" low carb diet, but it was fairly low. I found I ran out of energy, i.e. bonked. I ate lots of nuts, meat, cheese, etc., but it just didn't supply enough usable energy. YMMV  Consuming lots of fat and protein also requires drinking more water, so be sure you do that if you try.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Perry

Perry
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:31 pm 
If a person is keto/fat adapted (uses fat as their primary energy source), so that you are not carb dependent, thereís some flexibility in what/when you eat, as long as it's low carb.

Iíve been doing low carb for about 7 years, keto the last few.  For several years I did a dehydrated breakfast and dinner; with lunch/snacks mostly of cheese/ladjaeger/salami/ 85%+ dark chocolate/nuts.

The dehydrated meals are homemade, ground beef based.  After rehydrating in camp, I add butter and coconut oil, or C-8 MCT oil (these are the primary energy source).

This year Iíll probably just do a keto broth or keto decaf coffee in the morning (adding some butter and C-8 MCT oil to the broth or decaf).  That's what  I was doing part of last year.  Or, just do an electrolyte drink.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Mtngirl717

Mtngirl717
PostThu May 17, 2018 11:48 am 
Perry, where do you get you dehydrated beef from?

--------------
What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Perry

Perry
PostFri May 18, 2018 9:50 pm 
Mountain House sells freeze-dried ground beef in #10 cans.

But I dehydrate my own. I cook and season the ground beef, usually adding some low carb vegetables.  I have several different recipes that I use.

As an example, ingredients for one recipe:

"Beef & Marinara sauce"

3 lbs Ground beef - extra lean 4% -7%
1 large onion chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, chopped (from jar)
1 Tbsp basil leaves, dried, chopped
1 jar (24 oz) Spaghetti/Marinara sauce, Tomato Basil, Rao's Homemade
8 oz mushrooms, crimini,  sliced (optional)

Then dehydrate it using regular a home food dehydrator.

After it's dehydrated I weigh out individual serving sizes and put it into zip-lock freezer bags.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat May 19, 2018 4:20 pm 
Are you wanting to make your own dehydrated food?  Most likely the same meals you make at home can be dehydrated and eaten on trail with a few modifications.  Many oils and fats can be found in individual packets (like coconut oil).  Swapping out pasta, grains, beans for dried cabbage or other lower carb ingredients or "just eat the sauce" like Perry suggests.    I like to make caulifower or broccoli rice based dishes, for example with sauces like stroganoff or pumpkin curry.  I hope that helps!

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Mtngirl717

Mtngirl717
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:49 am 
Thanks! I definitely need to get a dehydrator!

--------------
What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low Carb/Keto Backpacking
  Happy Birthday gigamike, wheezer!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: