AlpineRose
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 4:19 pm 
The Tammy Jo Shults Trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
She would point out that some famous stars and sports figures did their part by entertaining troops. I don't think John Wayne did that though.
I did some cursory research about this and it seems that you are correct. Kind of shoots some holes in the old family lore about my grandfather, who was a navigator on South Pacific theater bombers, being a drinking buddy of the Duke while his crew flew him around during the war. I'll keep that legend alive though. Makes for a good anecdote to pair with my grandfather's (real) Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal, which I have.

Snowday

Snowday
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 am 
I live just a few blocks from the trail and grew up here. I sometimes walked home from school on the the tracks. It will always be the Milwaukee Road to me. My best friend growing up loved John Wayne movies, I did not. To my friend, Wayne was a western icon. I guess that's why the trail was named after him. That always seemed silly to me, but that name has been around for over 35 years -- I think it is going to stick for a long time to come and that doesn't bother me now.
treeswarper wrote:
She would point out that some famous stars and sports figures did their part by entertaining troops. I don't think John Wayne did that though.
John Wayne did visit the troops, but he was not always well received. Historian William Manchester, in his essay The Bloodiest Battle of All which recounts his experience on Okinawa, writes of an encounter with Wayne . . .
Quote:
. . . It was peacetime again when John Wayne appeared on the silver screen as Sergeant Stryker in ''Sands of Iwo Jima,'' but that film underscores the point; I went to see it with another ex-Marine, and we were asked to leave the theater because we couldn't stop laughing. After my evacuation from Okinawa, I had the enormous pleasure of seeing Wayne humiliated in person at Aiea Heights Naval Hospital in Hawaii. Only the most gravely wounded, the litter cases, were sent there. The hospital was packed, the halls lined with beds. Between Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the Marine Corps was being bled white. Each evening, Navy corpsmen would carry litters down to the hospital theater so the men could watch a movie. One night they had a surprise for us. Before the film the curtains parted and out stepped John Wayne, wearing a cowboy outfit - 10-gallon hat, bandanna, checkered shirt, two pistols, chaps, boots and spurs. He grinned his aw-shucks grin, passed a hand over his face and said, ''Hi ya, guys!'' He was greeted by a stony silence. Then somebody booed. Suddenly everyone was booing. This man was a symbol of the fake machismo we had come to hate, and we weren't going to listen to him. He tried and tried to make himself heard, but we drowned him out, and eventually he quit and left. If you liked ''Sands of Iwo Jima,'' I suggest you be careful. Don't tell it to the Marines.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
The Tammy Jo Shults Trail.
up.gif X 1,000,000 a real hero, not a propaganda hero. Wave That Flag

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am 
Thanks for posting that Snowday. The sentiments expressed by those injured GIs are similar to the contempt manifested by my father (a seriously injured WWII GI) and other WWII veterans I knew. Those WWII vets respected pre-WWII movie stars who served, e.g., James Stewart, Henry Fonda, and they revered those WWII vets who became movie stars after seeing real combat in WWII, e.g., Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, but they had zero respect for John Wayne the Chicken Hawk and his false bravado, flag waving and pro-war propaganda. Those who deem John Wayne a hero are purely buying into myth and avoiding reality, an all too common affliction in our culture. Wayne acted in some very good movies, especially those directed by John Ford, but in reality he was a selfish chicken hawk who lacked the balls to serve and placed his own career ahead of the national interest.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 12:20 pm 
My father served in the battle of Okinawa and never really talked to me about it. He wasn't too fond of John Wayne and now I can understand why.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm 
Friends of the John Wayne Trail wrote:
It's official! The Washington Parks and Recreation Commission voted today, 5/17/2018, to change the name of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail to the PALOUSE TO CASCADES STATE PARK TRAIL, giving the trail a name with a unique and descriptive identity. More to come on this transition.
:P Iron Horse seemed like a good name to me.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri May 18, 2018 5:06 am 
Ya that names too long. Iron horse is better.

rossb

rossb
PostFri May 18, 2018 1:55 pm 
Yeah, it's a long name, but it is a long trail. It goes from the Palouse to the Cascades (apparently). I like it. Very descriptive, like the Pacific Crest Trail, or the Cascade Crest Trail. I could easily see people just calling it the Palouse Cascades Trail for short.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm 
rossb wrote:
I could easily see people just calling it the Palouse Cascades Trail for short.
Or the PCT, which could get confusing.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert