Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am 
Metric is a Canadian band I'd never heard of until I found them on Pandora. Not sure if they got some radio air play at one time or another. Their 2009 record Fantasies is great. Here's a video for one of the songs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 12:03 am 
Buffett, lots of Buffett. Anyone else going so see him and the band on June 23rd?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Digging through boxes of old vinyl records today I discovered Jethro Tull for the first time - I'm kind of shocked to have never heard this guy before! I love the unusual combination of instruments, and the lyrics are wonderful - it seems to me like what you'd get if you modernized medieval ballads.
Nac - I find this post intriguing. Really brings home to me generational differences which I've so far not paid much attention to. I just assumed everyone knew who Jethro Tull was, but then I live in a bubble wherein everyone grew up in the '70s and '80s. I've been on a country/bluegrass kick lately. Have really been enjoying these guys. This song is somewhat unique in their catalog as only two members are playing instruments:
Bo nails what's wrong with commercial/pop country on the radio these days:

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:41 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Digging through boxes of old vinyl records today I discovered Jethro Tull for the first time
I've had Aqualung on repeat for the last week or so. That album rules. Re: generational differences, I bet most people in my rough age range (I'm 23) have only heard of Jethro Tull through Ron Burgundy lol.gif
I've actually met several people about my age who haven't even heard of the Beatles. That one's pretty weird to me.

Prosit

Prosit
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:33 pm 

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 5:39 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
I've actually met several people about my age who haven't even heard of the Beatles. That one's pretty weird to me.
Yeah, that seems hard to believe. I can understand not listening to them/being familiar with their body of work, but to not even know who they are? Well, I guess that's one way to identify people who aren't what I'd call true music fans. They may enjoy listening to music, but they don't have an appreciation of or interest in its history or roots. Going back to the classics, I listened to this on Youtube last night. I have to say, the sound quality available via youtube and my headphones plugged into my computer can't hold a candle to spinning this on vinyl to a tube amp and a big honking set of speakers. This digital version via headphones just sounds "thin" compared to the vinyl/amp scenario but it's still a great song. Pour a couple fingers of bourbon, sit back, and let it take you on a journey to some masterful playing and songwriting.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm 
The Beatles changed everything. Not just the music. The world became a different place. Al and I drove up in his 64 Falcon one night and watched Jethro Tull do the entire "Aqualung" album live in the old Arena. Martin Barre's solo on that Les Paul is fabulous. This one's a bit different. As with Eight Lamas from Drepung, their work kind of grows on you after a few listenings. Unfortunately their tour date schedule doesn't show any upcoming gigs in the US.
I've met this girl with the tentacles coming out of her eyeball sockets in my dreams.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm 
My 17 yo son put this one together, borrowing the horns and vocals from Ella. The rest is all played by him.

contour5

contour5
PostSat May 19, 2018 8:54 pm 
Ayahuasca Freak Out! Paramonga Psychedelic sounds from Peru in the early 70s. There's a nice introduction over here. Use the big headphones for these ones!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 19, 2018 10:48 pm 
^ great stuff. up.gif cumbia + surf music + 60's psychedelia. one of those cuts has a bunch of snips from old Spaghetti Westerns... I recognize one of the lines from one of the "Sartana" movies. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 20, 2018 11:22 pm 
what happens when you start at chicha/cumbia and start poking around?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm 
... and what happens when you email my little sister the link to the Takeshi Terauchi And Bunnys album? she responds with this treasure:
Happy Birthday Lise' ! clown.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm 
bought this on vinyl when it first came out. where would we have been without Creed Taylor?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 22, 2018 2:41 am 
... speaking of Creed Taylor....

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm 
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense Been a few years since I've listened to this one. So, so good. Hard to pick my favorite track but you can't go wrong with the big suit...classic!