Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arrow Canyon, Petroglyphs, Fossil Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed May 02, 2018 9:31 am 
Arrow Canyon is a good place to take friends and family, not used to hiking. This collection of photos is from two separate trips. The first trip was with my father during his visit and the second is with my sister and her husband during their visit.
Arrow Canyon is a special place. There are petroglyphs, fossils, rock climbing routes (including overhanging caves), and mining history in the lower canyon. The upper and lower canyon are divided by a dam which currently has a fixed line, but I wouldn’t want to climb it without rock shoes.
After the second exploration of the lower canyon, I left Dave and Jessica in my car for 20 minutes so I could run up to the summit of Fossil Peak and back. There are good views overlooking the narrows as well as nearby Mormon Peak, Moapa Peak, and the Arrow Canyon Range.
corral fossil
corral fossil
wall walkers
wall walkers
Fossil Peak south ridge
Fossil Peak south ridge
Arrow Canyon Range with the narrows in the foreground
Arrow Canyon Range with the narrows in the foreground
Mormon
Mormon
Moapa
Moapa
The upper canyon is harder to get to. There are petroglyphs with signs of original pigment over the top (hard to see in the photos), almost a petroglyph/pictograph hybrid. I went off to explore by myself and after some bushwhacking I found a cave with signs of past habitation.
sheep
sheep
rows of sheep
rows of sheep
two hands on a slab with two feet out of frame
two hands on a slab with two feet out of frame
There are working surfaces and sandy sleeping areas with bits of charcoal and collected straw presumably for bedding. It appears as though someone brought a cutting tool to steal the deepest rock bowl, but they gave up when it broke. Not far from the cave I found many more petroglyphs, highly eroded and some partially buried by the changing ground level of fill gravel.
someone tried to steal this
someone tried to steal this
Here’s a bonus photo from the summit of Kraft Mountain. In one of my other reports, someone commented that everything is brown and there’s no color in the desert. rotf.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed May 02, 2018 11:54 am 
Story telling, I've seem some of these out of Kalispell off Hwy 2. Wonder what they mean. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3y2MARSLPO9c7Tks9EYELOfgVLKCzcIBddc0iGRgqpEpY56S0-gypgnaeuoYJlKp4-XzsOGb7Ig39uod1gzj21naHSOdWLF1GWP8ygjzY7pKXRiPUfK9APXgmeVq2-F9FSuVQKcyOy0=s0

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu May 03, 2018 6:44 am 
A special place indeed.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat May 19, 2018 11:19 pm 
Cool pics buddy!! ay to get your family out there with you