Forum Index > Food & Grub > Low Carb/Keto Backpacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:17 am 
Has anyone here had experience with eating extremely low carb/keto on multi-day backpacking trips? Looking for some food ideas beyond the usual tuna/jerky/cheese/nuts. Thanks!

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm 
I am not sure what you are asking for, what our experience was or meal ideas. I will give you my experience. I wouldn't call what I did as "extremely" low carb diet, but it was fairly low. I found I ran out of energy, i.e. bonked. I ate lots of nuts, meat, cheese, etc., but it just didn't supply enough usable energy. YMMV Consuming lots of fat and protein also requires drinking more water, so be sure you do that if you try. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Perry

Perry
PostWed May 16, 2018 10:31 pm 
If a person is keto/fat adapted (uses fat as their primary energy source), so that you are not carb dependent, there’s some flexibility in what/when you eat, as long as it's low carb. I’ve been doing low carb for about 7 years, keto the last few. For several years I did a dehydrated breakfast and dinner; with lunch/snacks mostly of cheese/ladjaeger/salami/ 85%+ dark chocolate/nuts. The dehydrated meals are homemade, ground beef based. After rehydrating in camp, I add butter and coconut oil, or C-8 MCT oil (these are the primary energy source). This year I’ll probably just do a keto broth or keto decaf coffee in the morning (adding some butter and C-8 MCT oil to the broth or decaf). That's what I was doing part of last year. Or, just do an electrolyte drink.

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostThu May 17, 2018 11:48 am 
Perry, where do you get you dehydrated beef from?

Perry

Perry
PostFri May 18, 2018 9:50 pm 
Mountain House sells freeze-dried ground beef in #10 cans. But I dehydrate my own. I cook and season the ground beef, usually adding some low carb vegetables. I have several different recipes that I use. As an example, ingredients for one recipe: "Beef & Marinara sauce" 3 lbs Ground beef - extra lean 4% -7% 1 large onion chopped 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped (from jar) 1 Tbsp basil leaves, dried, chopped 1 jar (24 oz) Spaghetti/Marinara sauce, Tomato Basil, Rao's Homemade 8 oz mushrooms, crimini, sliced (optional) Then dehydrate it using regular a home food dehydrator. After it's dehydrated I weigh out individual serving sizes and put it into zip-lock freezer bags.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat May 19, 2018 4:20 pm 
Are you wanting to make your own dehydrated food? Most likely the same meals you make at home can be dehydrated and eaten on trail with a few modifications. Many oils and fats can be found in individual packets (like coconut oil). Swapping out pasta, grains, beans for dried cabbage or other lower carb ingredients or "just eat the sauce" like Perry suggests. I like to make caulifower or broccoli rice based dishes, for example with sauces like stroganoff or pumpkin curry. I hope that helps!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:49 am 
Thanks! I definitely need to get a dehydrator!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 7:28 am 
High lakes fishing FTW At home we eat a low glycemic index diet, but we add a mix of carbs/protein/fat on backpacking trips. The carbs burn off fast while hiking with a full pack. We have inadvertently had a high protein/near zero carb backpacking when we ran out of food and had to rely on catching fish for our food. It was insufficient fuel. We have also backpacked a couple days on only high lakes fish, blueberries and hucklebeerries -- much better.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 am 
Perry, you dehydrate the sauce and the meat all mixed together? I've been using separate trays, thinking it wouldn't work. Thanks for that tip. And I never thought of dehydrating cabbage! I will do that for sure! Great tips.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Perry

Perry
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 5:04 pm 
Yes, I cook the ground beef and sauce together like a regular meal, breaking the ground beef up into crumbles/pieces, then dehydrate the sauce - meat mixture; works well for me.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
I am not sure if I have shared this on NWHikers before, but here is a nutritional blog for hikers that is sorta relevant to this thread. Regardless, she has some good food for thought. Katie Gerber Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am 
I generally go "low" carb, but not ketogenic, both at home and on hiking trips. Breakfast is generally either a grain-free granola or a hot cereal I make that consists of about 1/4 cup of oatmeal (considered one half serving), which does have carbs -- albeit healthier than most, plus a couple tablespoons of ground flax and maybe one tablespoon each of chia seeds and hemp -- the flax, chia and hemp being low carb (if you haven't tried hemp seeds, they're tastier than you might expect and remind me of Pine nuts). If I'm not in a hurry, another very low carb breakfast I make is an egg dish you can read about here. For lunch, you can find low-carb trail bars (Costco has a few), but which certainly wouldn't qualify as keto. If you make your own dinners, then dehydrate, it's pretty easy to find recipes with whatever quantity of carbs you want.

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 8:43 pm 
I've researched the ketogenic diet a bit, and one thing you'll want to keep in mind in general, and *especially* when doing lots of exercise (like backpacking) where you sweat a lot, is your electrolytes can plummet and make you not well. I'd recommend this product while backpacking and doing keto: https://drinklmnt.com/products/lmnt-recharge-electrolyte-drink No affiliation. I've bought it myself. Unless you're super keto-adapted (including while exercising), it would be good to bring some slow carbs (dehydrated sweet potatoes?). I've heard even keto proponents like Robb Wolf say that he uses carbs judiciously pre and/or post jujitsu. You don't want to feel terrible, and it's likely the carbs will be burned up by the exercise, so you're not necessarily leaving ketosis (if that is your goal), or at least just cycling in and out.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 pm 
From the wiki page on "Amundsen's South Pole expedition" -- as extreme a backpacking outing as you might find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen%27s_South_Pole_expedition#Transport,_equipment_and_supplies
Quote:
From his experiences on Belgica, Amundsen was aware of the dangers of scurvy. Although the true cause of the disease, vitamin C deficiency, was not understood at the time, it was generally known that the disease could be countered by eating fresh meat.[59] To neutralise the danger, Amundsen planned to supplement sledging rations with regular helpings of seal meat.[60] He also ordered a special kind of pemmican which included vegetables and oatmeal: "a more stimulating, nourishing and appetising food it would be impossible to find".[61] The expedition was well supplied with wines and spirits, for use as medicine and on festive or social occasions. Mindful of the loss of morale on Belgica, Amundsen provided for leisure time with a library of around 3,000 books, a gramophone, a large quantity of records and a range of musical instruments.[62]
Pemmican is likely the ultimate keto ration out there -- consisting of a 1:1 ratio of powder jerky and rendered fat. It's an acquired taste -- most folks find it unappetising until after several days from the trailhead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostWed Jun 26, 2019 7:18 pm 
Great idea! I just looked up a home-made recipe for this from a person I follow on the interwebs. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-pemmican/