Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat May 12, 2018 11:52 am 
Did a quick hike up Cowboy Mtn this morning.
Sunrise on Glacier Peak
Sunrise on Glacier Peak
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Early morning view toward Chiwaukums
Early morning view toward Chiwaukums
Mount Stuart
Mount Stuart
Mount Daniel
Mount Daniel
Thor to Mt Daniel
Thor to Mt Daniel
Del Campo
Del Campo
Bulls Tooth
Bulls Tooth
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Clark
Clark

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat May 12, 2018 1:54 pm 
That looks spectacular Justus. Wasn't familiar w/ that peak at all. Conveniently located right next to everything? rolleyes.gif A bit of zooming in going on I would think. But like I said spectacular. up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm 
I'm not sure why, but somehow I'd never hiked the East Bank Baker Lake trail in more than 20 years of living in Pugetopolis and hiking frequently. Finally changed that Monday (5/14). Started from the south trailhead. Very much enjoyed it. Had no particular destination in mind. Made it to Silver Creek before turning around and heading back. Will need to start from the north trailhead next time and see the rest of it, but I definitely got more than half. Was tempted to push on to Noisy Creek but it was hot and I didn't want to overdo it. Probably a good decision. Somewhere around Maple Grove on the way back I started to bonk a little bit.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:43 am 
Frog Farm and I just finished the Beach Naturalist program and figured a quick trip to the Salt Creek Recreation area with a -2.3 tide would be a nice way to celebrate. Did a post-prandial hike up to the top of Striped Mountain for its "Vista" view of the Straits of Juan de Fuca and then back to the now packed campground for sunset.
Straits of Juan de Fuca from Striped Mountain
Straits of Juan de Fuca from Striped Mountain
The next day was spent exploring the amazing tide pools. It had been years since our last trip and now after the course we were able to appreciate it a lot more.
Tidal island at Tongue Point
Tidal island at Tongue Point
Seaweed forest
Seaweed forest
Giant green anemone
Giant green anemone
Bull kelp forest, -2.3 tide at Tongue Point
Bull kelp forest, -2.3 tide at Tongue Point
Its an amazing place with something for everyone. Sandy and rocky beaches, amazing tide pools, birding, trails and for history buffs the old military emplacements. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 20, 2018 4:46 pm 
I've got a semi-regular hiking buddy that is good at suggesting some hikes I've overlooked. Yesterday we hit Cow Heaven, first time for me. The creek along the lower part of the trail is lovely and charming. I enjoyed the mossy woods, abundant ferns and various other plants. We got about 3.5 miles up the trial, just short of the 4,000' level when patchy snow quickly transitioned to complete coverage. Lost the trail immediately, didn't really feel like kicking steps through the woods without being sure where we were going, so we turned around. Pleasant day out. Skagit and various other rivers look high.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostSun May 27, 2018 11:47 am 
My Baden Powell, PCT Southern California Down in so cal on business and decided to visit an old friend I hadn’t seen since the thru hike in 2006. Vincent gap trailhead to the summit is 4 miles and 2800 feet of climbing to the 9390 foot summit. Suffice it to say that the grade is consistent and unrelenting. There were a lot of folks huffing and puffing from the altitude. A slow steady pace worked well, putting me on top in a couple of hours. Temps were mild to chilly on the summit. The LA side was shrouded in cloud cover below the summit but it was clear if a bit hazy from the west to the north and east. A $5 per day adventure pass is required for the trail head parking. The TH is well developed with lots of parking, but expect it to fill on a nice day like I had. This makes a great day hike, giving a good sample of the steep, rugged terrain of the San Gabriel Mountains.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 pm 
A bit belated, spent Memorial Day and Tuesday over in the Teanaway. First up was Bean Creek trail to Earl Peak. First creek crossing was a bit tricky, using a log spanning about half of the creek and some barely submerged rocks I was able to keep my feet dry and not have to ford. Later creek crossings were a piece of cake to hop across. Got about halfway up the switchbacks to the saddle on the south side of Earl before hitting any snow. Just a few patches for the most part, maybe last several hundred feet were nearly completely snow covered. Lost the trail but there was a boot path and it was pretty easy to just aim uphill at the blue sky showing up thru the trees. From the saddle it was fairly easy to avoid snow if so desired the rest of the way. Descended to the west and ran the ridge over to the base of Bean Peak. Patchy snow off and on but quite a bit of bare ground on the crest and almost completely bare on the south facing slope. For some reason didn't really feel like tagging Bean so descended a decent path down into the basin. Glacier lillies are popping, it's a bit early for shooting stars (I saw maybe 2 total). Balsam root are fading but still hanging on. A few other flowers here and there, can't even remember what I saw now. Chilled in the basin for a while. So peaceful. There was a group of campers nearby, I heard the earlier when I was above them but while I was sitting there it was nothing but bird song and the sound of the creek. Lovely day, sunny but not too warm. Tuesday headed up to Ingalls Pass. It always seems to be holding more snow than pretty much every other trail out that way, but even then I was surprised to hit some patches almost immediately after the trail junction. From about midway up to the pass it was almost continuous. Followed some boot track for the most part, or just wandered wherever looked best. There was a high cloud layer so visibility was good but no sun. Got to the pass and it was freaking windy and cold! Gazed at Stewie and the Ingalls complex for a while, lost motivation to continue on to the lake, so headed back down and ended the hike before midday. I'd been contemplating driving around to Leavenworth and maybe doing Eightmile Lake but I just headed home instead. Finally heard my first hermit thrush of the year and also first pika of the season. Somehow I didn't make it over to the Teanaway at all last year, was way overdue, always love visiting there.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm 
Way overdue for a return to this old favorite. Off trail. A decent path for a while (climbers' approach), then just rock hopping and bushwacking up a river bed. Started out cloudy but cleared up mid afternoon. Had lunch w/ a pair of pikas and both hermit and varied thrush (heard a Swainson's earlier so I got the trifecta of thrushes). 20+ years ago I stumbled on this by accident when I made a wrong turn, yesterday I encountered a couple who did the same thing. I think that's the only time I've encountered another party up here. The path part was in good shape, almost seems like it's been brushed out. People are obviously still going up here but it looks pristine to me. I'm sure some of you will recognize this.

meck

meck
PostThu Jun 14, 2018 8:10 pm 
Had an early shift on Tuesday, and was able to sneak in a trip up Mt Townsend that afternoon/evening before the rain came in. The weather was absolutely perfect, too bad the rechargeable batteries in my camera weren't! Got a few pics before the "battery exhausted" message. Briefly I was able to see all five volcanoes (though Rainier was still poking up into the clouds), the evening sun shining on Adams was like a wonderful orange beacon through the gray. It was chilly at the top.
summit in view
summit in view
not much snow left up there
not much snow left up there
some rhodiess blooming lower
some rhodiess blooming lower
small stream near the beginning, won't last much longer
small stream near the beginning, won't last much longer
fungi of some sort
fungi of some sort
Blue Mtn from the trail (beyond Tyler Peak's shoulder)
Blue Mtn from the trail (beyond Tyler Peak's shoulder)
I love this sign, my favorite outdoor playground awaits....
I love this sign, my favorite outdoor playground awaits....
Graywolf, Baldy, Tyler (& Maynard) peaks
5 labels
Graywolf, Baldy, Tyler (& Maynard) peaks
summit in view
summit in view
looking NE
looking NE
summit ridge north
summit ridge north
Mt Zion
Mt Zion
the base of Rainier
the base of Rainier
St Helens in the distance.
St Helens in the distance.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 pm 
Read that the Obstruction Point road is open all the way to Obstruction Point and headed out there on June 19 with Dave B to roam Lillian Ridge for a few miles. Found about six cars at the parking lot. Still plenty of big patches of snow over the trail, but lots of snow-free trail as well. One patch of snow over the trail where it starts to drop down toward Grand Valley. Snow over portions of the way trail that heads over toward Moose. Lots of snow still on Grand Pass. Elk Mountain and Grand Ridge trail mostly snow-free as far as could be seen from where we were, though there is probably snow across the trail where it crosses the east face of Obstruction Peak. Fine views west to the Bailey Range, with substantial snow still on the east facing slopes over there.
trail ascending Lillian Ridge from Obstruction Point 06-19-2018
trail ascending Lillian Ridge from Obstruction Point 06-19-2018
Obstruction Peak to left, Elk Mountain center to right 06-19-2018
Obstruction Peak to left, Elk Mountain center to right 06-19-2018
Large patches of snow still on Lillian Ridge 06-19-2018
Large patches of snow still on Lillian Ridge 06-19-2018
Stephen Peak, center; Olympus to the left; 06-19-2018
Stephen Peak, center; Olympus to the left; 06-19-2018
_DSC4624 sj
_DSC4624 sj
Plenty of snow left on Grand Pass
1 label
Plenty of snow left on Grand Pass
View west from Lillian Ridge, Olympic National Park 06-19-2018
10 labels
View west from Lillian Ridge, Olympic National Park 06-19-2018

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 pm 
Thanks for the intel, Ancient Ambler. I'm headed out that way next week.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm 
testing out my new boots and obstruction point road in olympic national park is open. with sweetie Mark
lots of avalanche lilies!
mt. olympus is always so beautiful
lots of snow
camo birds
some wildflowers
that's all!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Rockstarr511
Sandz

Rockstarr511
Sandz
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 pm 
Lake Dorothy from Miller River Road (6/26) Wanted to see one of the larger alpine lakes and have never made it up there before. Trail was a little muddy but overall in great shape. We hiked along the lake to the south shore and had lunch. For such a large lake, I was surprised by how few spots there were along the lake that provided easy shore access. Wanted to continue on to Bear Lake and Deer Lake but had some time constraints. Saving those for next time!
Miller River Road was in good condition with some larger potholes in the last 2 miles before the trail head. Only ran into a couple other groups and there were only 5 cars at the trail head around noon.

"There is no opiate like alpine pedestrianism." Mark Twain
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm 
Cathedral/Amphitheater/Remmel via the Andrews Creek Trail Monday-Tuesday. Happy to report that Upper Cathedral Lake was spared by the Diamond Creek Fire (just barely). The destruction from that fire is incredible. The view from Remmel helps you appreciate how vast the destroyed area is. For now, travel through the burn is easy.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm 
Klahhane Ridge via Switchback Trail, ONP, July 1, 2018

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss