Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Mailbox trailhead...now with less parking and more log sofas.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm 
If hiking an area that has multiple parking areas ( by the sound of it I'll never be involved in that sh show) and your that upset by them taking out a few spots for a bus stop then either hike that trail when it's not popular hours or season, or simply find a better hike there are plenty.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mb

mb
PostSun May 20, 2018 4:32 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
NOT in the lower area that is accessible 7x24. Very, very few people are going to be interested in sitting there for 30+ minutes in January soaking wet and cold while waiting for a shuttle
Everything posted so far says: * The shuttle is only running at peak times (not January). * When the shuttle is not not running, you can park in those spots. So why do you keep mentioning this non-existent case as a problem?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 5:18 pm 
burck17 wrote:
...simply find a better hike there are plenty.
Not in North Bend in the dead of winter on a high avy day.

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostSun May 20, 2018 5:53 pm 
mb wrote:
* The shuttle is only running at peak times (not January). * When the shuttle is not running, you can park in those spots.
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Reading is hard.

“The beauty of things was born before eyes and sufficient to itself; the heartbreaking beauty Will remain when there is no heart to break for it.”
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm 
Silvatici wrote:
mb wrote:
* The shuttle is only running at peak times (not January). * When the shuttle is not running, you can park in those spots.
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Reading is hard.
Well aware of the seasonal bus schedule. Thanks for your snarky input. I was making a general comment about Mailbox not related to the shuttle or trailhead issues. There really isn't a better winter training mountain for locals than Mailbox.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:07 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Silvatici wrote:
mb wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Reading is hard.
Well aware of the seasonal bus schedule. Thanks for your snarky input. I was making a general comment about Mailbox not related to the shuttle or trailhead issues. There really isn't a better winter training mountain for locals than Mailbox.
At this point it seems your trying to be upset just for the hell of it. Or here's a solution since you despise the shuttle so much I'd bet you have a car... You can use it to drive somewhere without tons of snow to train. Plenty of places to train at all winter in the state.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:09 pm 
burck17 wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Silvatici wrote:
mb wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Reading is hard.
At this point it seems your trying to be upset just for the hell of it. Or here's a solution since you despise the shuttle so much I'd bet you have a car... You can use it to drive somewhere without tons of snow to train. Plenty of places to train at all winter in the state.
Who's upset? I was just stating a fact. Man, you people sure like to pick fights over nothing.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
This is terrible because now people who don't own cars will be able to hike. As hikers, we hate other hikers. confused.gif
It's terrible because we're losing 15-20 parking spots so that maybe 9 people per Saturday/Sunday (based on last year's stats) can take a bus. And tax payers get to foot the bill.
Can you see why this could be interpreted as you being upset by the situation?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 6:30 pm 
burck17 wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
This is terrible because now people who don't own cars will be able to hike. As hikers, we hate other hikers. confused.gif
It's terrible because we're losing 15-20 parking spots so that maybe 9 people per Saturday/Sunday (based on last year's stats) can take a bus. And tax payers get to foot the bill.
Can you see why this could be interpreted as you being upset by the situation?
Not really. Just an observation that it's kinda sucky to be losing so many parking spots. I think the shuttle will be a failure but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun May 20, 2018 9:23 pm 
Ok that's fair then I think I was reading a lot of emotion that was not intended when I was reading your posts and probably misinterpreted it.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:39 am 
Taxpayers foot the bill for parking lots too. And the trails. Many of those taxpayers don't hike. At least the shuttle requires a fare be paid.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm 
Parking lots dont require a fare to be paid? My discover pass, snopark pass, and nat lands pass disagree.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:52 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Parking lots dont require a fare to be paid? My discover pass, snopark pass, and nat lands pass disagree.
The fare is for public transportation; some arguments here are that it's all taxpayer dollars to transport bus riders. They do pay a fare. The Discover Pass is a mere small blip in the funds necessary to manage state recreation, and The NWFP does not cover parking lot construction, so yeah non hiking taxpayers are paying to the state so that we can hike. I don't know anything about National Parks' parking and road funds.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert