Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Harts Pass Mines - Looking for Info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm 
Howdy all - I'm curious about what was going on in Harts Pass in the late 1800s, 1880s - 1890s in particular but a decade or so in either direction from there would also be of interest. I'm particularly interested in how many mines there were, the general layout of the mines and structures/town that existed and the cultural life of the people who lived and worked there. Going a bit deeper, who were those people, where did they come from, what was life like for them at Harts Pass and in the places they came from before? I've done a bit of Googling, but as usual my google-fu is weak and I'm frequently amazed at the information people around here have access to. Any good reading you can recommend will be much appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon May 21, 2018 7:13 am 
I'm sure you found this but other history buffs might be interested as well. Sounds like it was a real rootin' tootin' place. http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/bttales26.htm I'd visit the UW library to see what they have in the archives. So much is not online. There are some pretty good photos of Chancellor in the digital archives. http://content.lib.washington.edu

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon May 21, 2018 2:45 pm 
Discovering Washingtons Historic Mines Vol 3 Great information.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon May 21, 2018 3:51 pm 
There is a lot of information on mining at the Schafer museum in Winthrop. A ton of old mining equipment from Barron, Chancellor, Azurite, etc.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm 
First, keep in mind a lot of the mines at Harts Pass and Chancellor are on private property. Having said that, the Schafer Museum rocks and the Discovering Washington's Historic Mines series is an excellent resource. Other reference material is the Metal Mines of Washington, and Bulletin No. 37 INVENTORY OF WASHINGTON MINERALS PART II METALLIC MINERALS. Meh looks like it's a 4 part download. Love my hard copy.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:19 pm 
I posted some info back a year or so ago a little about the area... knowing what the people were like you could also check over to marblemount area as there were probably the same type of people mining in the mineral park/cascade pass area. I hiked a lot in the slate creek mining district and even spoke with a state geologist about the area. I also spoke with several of the people who had claims in the area. Most were younger than the original miners, many of whom went to war after the mines were shut down.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm 
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm especially interested in the 1880-1890s time period and historically accurate details of life at Harts Pass during those two decades. The first link that RichP posted is what always comes up whenever I search for "Harts Pass mining" or "Harts Pass history" and it gives a good taste of things but I'm looking for a little more details. I wonder if there's any kind of map that would show buildings and how they were laid out? That source says 3000 people were there, others I've found say about 1000. Even if it was only 1000, that's a good number of people. Where were they housed? What buildings and services existed to support them? Where did they come from? What was day-to-day life like for miners and for other people who lived there? What kind of social groups/cliques existed? Enquiring minds want to know! biggrin.gif

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm 
Discovering Washington's historic mines. Vol 3 the north cascades mountains. The Harts Pass/slate creek river area chapter is 64 pages.

Jake

Jake
PostTue May 22, 2018 4:29 pm 
Discovering Washington's Historic Mines has been revised in the new "Second Edition" Corrections made and a new picture or two added. The revised edition is $34.95 and the ISBN # is: 978-0-9822558-7-2. Also, see: Mines and Mineral Deposits of Whatcom County, Washington, Bullitin 57, by Wayne Moen and published by Washington State Department of Natural Resources.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue May 22, 2018 6:10 pm 
Thanks again to everyone who's responded, I'll be checking all of this out. Well, it might be awhile before I can get to the museum, no plans to go to Winthrop any time soon. biggrin.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 23, 2018 3:00 pm 
Contact the Okanogan County Historical society. They have published articles on the various mines. I have heard that Chancellor was a bustling place with supplies coming in over Harts Pass via dog sled in the winter. Even though the actual townsite is not in Okanogan County, I will bet that info on it is. Supplies came from this side. Also check to see if Frank Matsura took any photos of the area. I suspect not, but he may have made it over that way.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities