Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking Trail/Road Condition Mt. Townsend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtskibum16

mtskibum16
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:58 pm 
I was hoping to get some recent trail and road conditions for the NE trail to Mt. Townsend. The TH is off of FR 28 near Bon Jon pass. Caltopo maps lists it as Little Quilcene Trail #835, but the Dirty Face Ridge trail from the NW is also labeled that way. Anyways, looking for conditions to the TH as well as along the trail. That first half of the trail probably doesn't get much exposure. Looking to take my parents up there this weekend, and trying to avoid the main TH on such a busy weekend. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostMon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm 
See this TR here (I think they hiked from the Little River TH, but I'm not quite sure). I've not been up that side this year, but when I looked down toward it back on 5 May from the summit, the TH appeared to be snow free. The road up from BonJon pass was super-rutted in places when I was up there last year (sedan not recommended unless you are a very careful driver... nevermind the mega-potholes). The trail itself may still have snow on it since it passes through a deep hollow on the north side. The trail has a couple of very steep sections (as far as a standard hiking trail goes), though not as bad or prolonged as the trail up from Tubal Cain TH. On a side note a paper Forest Service Road Map (Quilcene RS sells them for ~$5) is handy as most of the GPS maps (google, apple etc.) seem to be notoriously wrong on some of the more obscure spur roads based on some of the TRs you see complaining about directions over at WTA and other sites.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message