Forum Index > Food & Grub > A Cheese Primer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 10, 2018 10:37 am 
Here is a good piece on choosing cheese to take backpacking. I love cheese on the trail for everything from dayhikes to week= long adventures. It offers a good balance of fat and protein as well as good source of vitamins and minerals. My favorite cheese to take is Dubliner. I usually slice it and separate the slices with wax paper. I try to have at least one ounce of cheese each day while on trail. What's your favorite cheese for the trail? Rumi~the cheesy~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 10, 2018 10:43 am 
I love cheese on the trail too. I'm always worried about it going bad in warm weather though. Harder cheese like aged Gouda, Parmigiano Reggiano are my trail choices for that reason.

neek

neek
PostThu May 10, 2018 4:59 pm 
I have a thing for Manchego. Doesn't crumble, good flavor but not too intense.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm 
+ 1 on Manchego. I also like well aged Gouda and Gruyere with the little crunchy crystallized bits

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
contour5

contour5
PostFri May 11, 2018 7:48 pm 
Cheese is good fuel. I like all but the stinkiest of cheeses. My usual routine involves a package of sandwich thins, half a pound of sliced cheese product and a small squeezy bottle of dijonaise. I manufacture my sandwiches right at the TH prior to setting out. I usually consume all eight sandwiches the first day; sometimes there are enough left over for dinner the first night. I actually find the resulting flatulence deeply satisfying.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat May 12, 2018 10:31 am 
contour5 wrote:
I actually find the resulting flatulence deeply satisfying.

~Mom jeans on wheels
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun May 13, 2018 11:26 pm 
FDA SchmefDA - what a bunch of wussies! Like anything two hours outside of a refrigerator is really festering with Bubonic plague?
Hard goat cheese and landjaegers can handle several days in a hot summer backpack.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:32 am 
What my mother did for 6-week horse packing trips: The cheese (hard!) should be well-wrapped in cheesecloth and only then in plastic. Slice as you go, so that less of the surface is exposed. The main thing is to keep the surface dry, which explains the cheesecloth. Any mold that develops should be trimmed off frequently. She would cut a 5 lb. block of cheese in 3 parts--one started the trip with us, the second sat in a post office for 2 weeks with our first resupply; the third sat in a post office for 4 weeks with our second resupply. (This was for a party of three people; the horses weren't interested in cheese.) There was never any problem with spoilage.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm 
I love cheese, too! My favorites are Asiago and goat cheese which spreads nicely on crackers. I have started picking up the parmesan cheese "Whisps" at Costco, too. Costco, also, has a bacon cheese crisp (cracker thing) that is delicious with just cheese and bacon. Don't judge... smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm 
For multi-day WTA trail crew trips, my go-to cheese for the first two days is a bleu. With Triscuits, man, that is so good I almost fall off the log! Then asagio or parmesan for the final two days. Mmm-mm! chow.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 14, 2018 11:16 pm 
IanB wrote:
Like anything two hours outside of a refrigerator is really festering with Bubonic plague?
Actually the plague is spread by a bacterium usually spread by a flea or rodent bite.
IanB wrote:
landjaegers can handle several days in a hot summer backpack.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just sayin' ... Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 14, 2018 11:31 pm 
Snuffy wrote:
I have started picking up the parmesan cheese "Whisps" at Costco, too.
Those are great! It is one of those things you can have almost any time to add some protein, which is sometimes difficult when backpacking. I have a small handful as part of my breakfast. Rumi

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:53 am 
I like the hard cheeses also. My favorite is Reggianito, which isn't as salty as Reggiano and actually a bit cheaper.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm 
Adding to this, Costco has a great selection of cheese and very good prices. I am currently enjoying some smoked Gouda ($5.70/lb) I picked up Sunday. Rumi

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 22, 2018 12:06 am 
Mentioned in the article cited by RumiDude in the first post: "Manchego" - $9.99 a pound at Trader Joe's this afternoon. Feels pretty hard. No idea how it tastes - I haven't opened it yet! We'll give it a shot. I've been packing grated parmesan (or asiago) for years. Problem is that it gets kind of clumped together and after a few days in hot weather it gets really whiffy. A few years ago I started drying it out a bit first before packing: Grate the cheese, spread out on about 5 or 6 layers of paper towels on a large cookie sheet. Put in oven with just the 40W oven light on. Keep an eye on it, and pull it out every hour or so and give it a turn. After 4 or 5 hours it will be considerably less moist. After 8 or 10 hours it will be crunchy and it won't melt into that delicious pasta dish, so watch it closely after a few hours - there's a happy medium there somewhere. Drying it out this way reduces the weight somewhat and keeps it from clumping together. It still gets a little stinky - not quite so bad as before though.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."