Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pringles @ Ingalls 5-19-2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:07 pm 
2 reptiles and 1 arachnid that I'd yet like to see while out hiking in Washington State are the Giant Forest Scorpion, Rubber Boa & Horned Lizard. I'll get back to this later. Earlier in the week I asked my youngest daughters boyfriend if he wanted to go hiking this Saturday. He was all in. Our destination was going to be Paddy-Go-Easy Pass and beyond. I found road conditions were still pretty sloppy prior to that trailhead. A little more research, and I discovered that the road to Esmeralda Basin was snow free. Change of plans. My daughter's boyfriend asked if 2 of his roommates could join us. "Sure! No problem" We were on the trail by 8:30am. Hiking with 3 twenty-three year old punks is like hiking with 6 thirteen years old girls on a sugar high. Or a dozen off leash Jack Russell Terriers Shut the f### up! & enjoy the views & silence. Well, not the views ( I'll get to that later also ) but how bout the silence. The maturity level of 3 twenty-three year old boys ( not men yet )? About half that of 6 thirteen year old girls on a sugar high or the total sum of 12 off leash Jack Russell Terriers In summary. About the same as mine. Perfect! up.gif up.gif up.gif Low lid and a warning of things to expect a little higher up the trail
First few switchbacks we're snow free and then in the forest, before the split to Longs Pass trail, lots of snow. Forest free open slopes between 5,400' & 5'600' was spotty deep snow and 1 sketchy snow bridge. Beyond 5,600'. All snow. Snow conditions and travel were superb.
We had no views on our ascent starting right about the Longs Pass split off and the visibility just continued to get worse. Ingalls Pass
50 feet of visibility. Saying we could see 100 feet would be very generous. We sat on a snow free rock for about 30 minutes hoping the forcast was going to be accurate. We were still very early to the forcasted 2pm "clearing up" I was ready to turn around here, but "the loud punks" wanted to get to the lake. So, off we went. No visibility and no landmarks to guide us. Guess that's what GPS is for. 2 of us had it. Arrived to this Three Punks Lakeside
Then, amazingly, the lid started to lift. Hour and a half earlier than predicted
The hike out was much better
One of "The Punks"
All 3 Numbnuts @ Ingalls Pass
Hike in to the lake was 4 hrs and like I mentioned earlier, the snow conditions were great. From lake basin to vehicle was a quick 2 hours. Now, back to my critters. I get to cross one off my list. Up at the lake there was a snow free rock. I heard that Giant Timber Scorpions are very good at camouflage and can look like stone. Sometimes you won't even notice them until they move. Anyway, one of "The Punks" said, "What's that!" Pointing at a rock closer to the shore of the lake. He said, "Something on that rock just moved" We all thought he was crazy. And then! We all noticed it. We all walked down to the bare rock and I poked what I thought was just stone with my pole and it twitched and then raised it's gigantic tail. Yes! A Giant Timber Scorpion! I asked one of "The Punks" to pick it up so that I could get a picture of it. 23 year olds have no fear
Very cool to finally see one Great day in the mountains

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:23 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Yes! A Giant Timber Scorpion! I asked one of "The Punks" to pick it up so that I could get a picture of it. 23 year olds have no fear
Very cool to finally see one Great day in the mountains
These are good eatin'. We always cook up a few everytime we camp at the lake.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun May 20, 2018 7:56 pm 
When I was in my early 20's I invited my brother along on a hike that my friends and I were doing. He must have been around 19 at the time. We stopped at the grocery store on the way to get food for the trip. When we got back into the car I asked my brother what he bought for food for the trip. Pringles and Cheesecake. I'll never forget that. lol.gif

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSun May 20, 2018 8:14 pm 
I took a friend up Sahale last year. On the way up we stopped at Cascade Pass for a snack and he pulled out his food bag. His food for the day: a stick of unsalted butter, a bag of plain walnuts, and a chunk of mozzarella. I stared at him in disbelief. His response: "What? I'm on the keto diet!" lol.gif

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon May 21, 2018 9:09 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
I stared at him in disbelief. His response: "What? I'm on the keto diet!"
Lmao! rotf.gif I usually pack more Rainier than anything,lol! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 22, 2018 6:39 am 
He's lucky he didn't get stinged by that scwerpion!!!!!

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu May 24, 2018 11:57 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
These are good eatin'. We always cook up a few everytime we camp at the lake.
Camp at the lake? Tsk. Tsk. You know there's no camping allowed at Ingalls Lake. shakehead.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin