Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best Crampon compatible Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
luv2travel

luv2travel
PostFri May 18, 2018 11:10 pm 
Hi, Which are the best boots for three two weeks on snow with crampons? Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat May 19, 2018 5:02 am 
luv2travel wrote:
Hi, Which are the best boots for three two weeks on snow with crampons? Thanks in advance!
1) crampon compatible boots (stiff shanks), and 2) boots that fit you and have been broken in. REALLY important.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 22, 2018 8:16 am 
Yeah, fit is most important. What kind of travel? Do you expect frontpointing? Torsional rigidity is required for extended cramponing (and IMO most off trail travel). A boot with wee bit of roundish longitudinal flex is nice for glacier walking and moderate travel, but requires a hinged (UK C1-rated) crampon. Do some research re UK boot ratings. Too bad U.S. doesn't use UK ratings. IME, B1 boots with C1 crampons work great for PNW Cascade and Olympic general mountaineering routes. B2 + C2 for routes significant frontpointing. B3 + C3 for technical ice. I hate GoreTex boots, much prefer a B1 or B1+ boot with all leather uppers. My current favorite (indeed, my favorite general mountaineering boot of all time) is Scarpa SL Active, medium volume and relatively vely wide (D+) forefoot. (Marketed as "backpacking boot," but a very worthy general mountaineering boot.) I usually pair them with Salewa Ultralight crampons, although pretty much any C1 crampon will fit fine (e.g., Grivel Air Tech Light). If you have narrow forefoot/low volume foot, check out LaSportiva. Scarpa Charmoz is in between.