Forum Index > Trail Talk > Good 3-5 night backpacks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treewalker

treewalker
PostTue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm 
I have done a lot of 1-2 night backpacks, but have an opportunity to go on a longer trip with a good friend this year. Thinking September or whenever the sub-alpine is most melted out, hopefully when the mosquitos have died down quite a bit. I am a photo-nut so scenery and vistas would be great. Also, a mild scramble or two would be nice. Here is a list of the shorter backpacks I have done. Maybe some of these have more we could explore, or happy to try a new spot: 1-2 night backpacks: Deer Park Quinault to Low Divide / Three Lakes Berkley Park / Grand Park Hart's Pass Cascade Pass Thunder Creek Tuck & Robin Lakes Lake Ingalls Ingalls Creek Some "bucket list" trips I would love to do someday are: Wonderland Trail Enchantments Thank you for your suggestions for an extra few nights of exploration!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue May 15, 2018 7:30 pm 
Foss lakes. Plenty of lakes with trail's to all. Options for loop trips. Skykomish is closest town.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue May 15, 2018 7:38 pm 
I always enjoy looking at maps to explore options of connecting trails into interesting loops. I would get the following: - https://www.amazon.com/Trekking-Washington-Backpacker-Magazine-Woodmansee/dp/0898869048 - https://www.amazon.com/Backpacking-Washington-Overnight-Multi-Day-Routes/dp/1594851107 - All the maps in your target area from https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/trails-illustrated-maps/washington The first book in particular has long routes. Craig Romano's trips are shorter, most doable as an overnight or sometimes even as a day trip. I think those two books cover everything that you'd typically see here as suggestions.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm 
A couple that jump to mind immediately: Spider Gap/Buck Creek Pass loop (side trip to Miners Ridge/Image Lake highly recommended) Whatcom Pass/Copper Ridge loop (again highly recommended side trip to Tapto Lakes)

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue May 22, 2018 5:26 am 
Buck Creek to Spider gap is my favorite due to the wildlife and weather is usually better. Another good one, but I think is a bit more difficult, is Pilots Ridge to Lost Creek Ridge. This hike has better fishing. My favorite out and back hike is Bachelor Creek to Cub Lake. It can be done in two days but take a third to explore.

none
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 22, 2018 7:22 am 
Chiwaukum Mountains and WA Sawtooths have some nice 3-5 day backpacks with scrambles. Lots of stocked lakes too, so pack a fishing pole and a frying pan. If you have experience at navigation and routefinding, PM me re an adventurous option in the Chiwaukums.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 22, 2018 11:49 am 
Goat Rocks Wilderness is a must do. Snowgrass Flats, Old Snowy, Elk Pass. (Than either White Pass or Packwood Lake) On a clear day there are unobstructed views of all the south Volcanic peaks (Hood, Adams, St. Helens, Rainier). Multiple mountain goats sightings guaranteed, and likely elk. Definitely a place to take lots of photos. You'll want a wide angle landscape lens (14-24 mm equivalent) and a standard zoom for some animal shots and distant features. Might be worth bring a full size tri-pod here. Mid-week in mid to late August is ideal.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm 
Trinity to Massey Lake to Buck Creek Pass and out. I've also wondered about Chiwawa Basin east up the old road to either Spider Basin or north around Chiwawa Mountain then out via Spider Pass and Phelps Creek