Forum Index > Trip Reports > climbing on the Isle of Skye
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostThu May 24, 2018 6:27 am 
Ya know. For a land with no really high mountains.They sure can push ones limits. I was 'suckered' into coming over this year by my climbing friend,Lyndsey, who said she only had two more Munros to do .And didn't have a mate for the first one. As it turned out. Four others 'surprised' her and showed up. The weather for the first 3 days I was there was quite nice. The Met. OFF. said that would continue:WRONG ! The first climb on Sgurr Dubh Mor was done in low clouds.Which only got lower and thicker as the day went on. What should have been a hard 5-6 hours.Turned into a 10 hour where the F*** are we day. No ones GPS's work: No reception. Compass's couldn't be trusted as there is too much iron in the rocks. The map would have been helpful, if we could see anything. We got lost going up and coming down. Two guys rolled their ankles on the way down.Which really slowed us. We were all 'nackered' ,as they like to say, by the time we got back to the Hostel. The next day. Was Lyndsey's 282 Munro. (Sgurr na Banadich.) And the last to tick off. A simple well trod path. What could go wrong....Weather. Once again.The Met OFF. said clearing skies. Two hours after hitting the path we were all soaked to the skin. (Gortex only works so long). The winds seem to come from every direction. There was no getting away from it. And at 25-30mph the rain came at us sideways. No matter which way we turned. Near the top we had freezing fog.Once again being pushed by high winds. We never stopped moving. Hypothermia was a real concern by then. Once on top we took a quick summit group shot. Popped the Champagne; had a swallow and got down as fast was we could. At the celebration dinner in the local pub. Someone asked me if I 'enjoyed myself".? Now I had to think about that one.To 'enjoy' something one usually thinks of a light heart, easy experience. I said: NO. But it was an adventure. And afterall. Wasn't that what I'd come for?? Live every day like you will die to-marrow.For someday that will be true. I wish this site made it easier to put on photos. I just can't seem to figure it out.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu May 24, 2018 8:22 am 
Not those specific peaks but the adjoining ones. same weather. same time of year.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu May 24, 2018 9:26 am 
Fairy pools!
About this time of year two springs ago. Have a gazillion photos, but yes, some challenging looking peaks. The gash in the mountain in your photo has been climbed by some. I thought the isle of sky had some of the most diverse landscape in a small island.. cascades over here, Wyoming over there... very cool. Bummer about the weather. Hope you warmed up with some nice talisker storm.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu May 24, 2018 9:36 am 
Did she bag this one?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu May 24, 2018 4:14 pm 
Oh, I would love to see your pics! We dipped our toes into the Isle of Skye, but never actually did any hiking there. All I remember was the best fish and chips I've ever had. hungry.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani