Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow near Mt. Hood
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
anonwums

anonwums
PostSat May 26, 2018 9:54 pm 
Hello, I'm looking to go on a day hike near Mt. Hood and hoping to avoid any snow. At what elevation does the snow start? I was thinking of heading to the area around Timberline Lodge or Zigzag Mountain. Any suggestions are welcome.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun May 27, 2018 6:02 am 
Hood is having a low snow spring. Here is a photo taken two weeks ago on Mother's Day. Also, my family and I hiked the Zig Zag trail up to the falls at that time. Granted that is a rather low easy hike but people along the trail were wearing short sleeves and tank tops on a warm sunny day. I am sure they have lost even more snow in the past two weeks. PS - we loved staying in the Timberline Lodge. Would do it again anytime. up.gif
Mt Hood on Mother's Day 2018
Mt Hood on Mother's Day 2018

natural_log

natural_log
PostThu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm 
I suggest joining the PortlandHikers facebook page, if you're on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PortlandHikers/ I did Mirror Lake to Tom, Dick, and Harry on Memorial Day, and it was snow free. I think Burnt Lake has melted out for the most part, and someone was able to get up to East Zig Zag Mountain from there on Sunday. We also hopped up to Timberline after our Memorial Day hike. Snow is low, like HTT said, but the trails are still pretty covered that high up. Both of the hikes are mentioned are pretty popular, but of course beautiful, so plan accordingly!