Forum Index > Trail Talk > Maps for the Wind River Range
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
I'm getting the bug for backpacking the Wind River Range this September. Does anybody know what the best maps are for this area and how to acquire them? I know that there are multiple trip reports on nwhikers for the Winds; I will be studying them all. But if some enthusiast of the area wants to offer advice and insight I would greatly appreciate that, too. I'm expecting to be out there for seven or eight days and am not looking to do any climbing but lots of travel, roaming, scrambles and generally experiencing the high lonesome. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm 
Andrew Skurka has some good info. FWIW, I have both the Beartooth Publishing maps and the Earthwalk Press maps. The former are better, IMO.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm 
Thank you for that.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue May 22, 2018 9:29 pm 
texasbb, I have seen your trip report for the eclipse and it's one of the reasons I want to go to this place. I too have a low clearance vehicle and it's an important factor to consider. Did you find, in your research, that there were a limited number of trailheads accessible to low clearance vehicles? I'll be arriving in a 1997 Saturn sedan after 1000 grinded-out miles.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm 
I didn't really research the others that carefully, as I figured the paved road to Elkhart Park would be best for my Scion xB. Skurka has some info on trailheads, though it doesn't cover very many of them. There's a little more info in his for-purchase Guide materials, but still not much on road conditions.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri May 25, 2018 11:29 am 
Where are you looking at for your trip? Elkhart park is the best. Big Sandy is passable for just about every vehicle. Just be careful on the way up to Big Sandy. People come down from there very fast and there are a lot of blind corners. Depending were you are going you will need more than one map. Contact the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale and they will get you the maps you need. I hope you are bringing a Fishing Pole!!! P/M me if you need any info on where to stay, eat or visit ect.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri May 25, 2018 1:32 pm 
I strongly recommend Nancy Pallister's Beyond Trails in the Wind Ri,ver Mountains, now out in a second edition (2017). Be careful if you order from amazon as they are still trying to peddle the 2010 edition! It's best to order from the author, here. Included is a CD with fantastic photos, plus USGS topo maps showing all her routes that you can print out and take with you. She has excellent descriptions of both on- and off-trail routes, lots of extra info about roads to trailheads, fishing, etc.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostFri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm 
The Lead Dog and Grannyhiker, thanks for your replies. TLD, I will indeed PM you at some point if I decide to make the trip. I don't yet know if this will happen; the only factors against it will be a last-minute awful weather forecast or a lack of desire for a solo drive of that length. I'm certain it would be worth the drive but I'll develop a more local itinerary as a backup, which would increase my backcountry time to up to an eleven day trip. Which sounds pretty amazing, too. I'll be taking delivery of the Beartooth Publishing map of the entire Wind Range in a few days and with that reference in hand I'll begin researching in earnest and acquiring more maps and books than I could possibly need, because I like that stuff.

kenbee

kenbee
PostSat May 26, 2018 2:45 pm 
Everyone else has posted the same practical advice that I could offer...I just wanted to throw in (as I sit here daydreaming of my upcoming 5th trip to the Winds) that if you do make it out there, you will have an amazing time! The drive is a bit long, but that place is as magic as it gets.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostSun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm 
kenbee wrote:
Everyone else has posted the same practical advice that I could offer...I just wanted to throw in (as I sit here daydreaming of my upcoming 5th trip to the Winds) that if you do make it out there, you will have an amazing time! The drive is a bit long, but that place is as magic as it gets.
I have read your 2016 Winds post and it seems that I have similar goals: not to cover huge amounts of territory, but to revel in the territory covered. It seems like once you get up into that high country you are basically guaranteed a transcendent experience, with innumerable options. I have a lot of research to do but I've seen nothing but incredible reports of the area. I will assume that the weather could present some challenges in early to mid September. I'm fine with that; sunny skies are welcome but a bit of intrigue makes it that much sweeter.