Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Cougar Attack North Bend
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 25, 2018 12:10 am 
RumiDude wrote:
So do chainsaws.
Rumi <~~~~~~can use a chainsaw
Damn it I forgot the bar oil hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 25, 2018 7:17 am 
My 1911 .45 weighs way less than a chainsaw....................

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon May 28, 2018 9:01 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Yeah, I vote pepper spray. I'm a reasonably good shot with a .22 rifle, but I'd be lucky to hit the side of a barn with a handgun. And with my luck I'd break my arm by falling on it when I was digging in a pocket for candy.
Well, that's being honest. Others are pretty decent shots with handguns, and fairly fast on reflex. But if pepper spray is your choice, then nobody should fault your decision. BPJ: I'll gamble my Mod. 19 S&W weighs about the same as your .45, and it's a magnum winksmile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon May 28, 2018 10:27 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Yeah, I vote pepper spray.I'm a reasonably good shot with a .22 rifle, but I'd be lucky to hit the side of a barn with a handgun
There was the 2nd segment in a series last night about "policing in America" and one of the topics was the use of lethal force. There was information about non lethal type "guns", but the subject of wounding (leg or arm shot) came up also. The law enforcement officer they talked to spoke about how extremely hard it was to hit a target with a hand gun and that they were trained/had to go for the area of greatest "body mass" to increase the probability of stopping the object of their attention. From people that do it for a living. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 28, 2018 10:41 am 
Thread has officially jumped the shark, time to lock it up. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 28, 2018 2:00 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Thread has officially jumped the shark, time to lock it up. huh.gif
Yup.😒

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 28, 2018 2:07 pm 
Why not carry both? Try the spray first and the other as a last resort.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm 
I thought gun talk was not allowed outside the gun thread? I hope you are sure there are no people behind kitty to catch your stray bullets.

gb

gb
PostMon May 28, 2018 4:44 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
DadFly wrote:
But a can of spray might have changed this current outcome a lot.
Maybe, didn't work out so well for this guy although he did survive. http://www.ktvq.com/story/33299198/montana-man-documents-moments-after-grizzly-bear-attack I like this ?...."How can you tell the difference between Griz and Black Bear scat? The Griz scat contains pieces of bear pepper spray cans and little bells...".
Pretty unusual encounter with bear spray. Steven Herrero shows that 98% of the time when employing Bearspray the human is uninjured compared to 50% when guns are used. https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

gb

gb
PostMon May 28, 2018 4:46 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
My 1911 .45 weighs way less than a chainsaw....................
but not less than bear spray which is 6X more effective in preventing injury to humans. Synopsis of Smith/Herrero study 2012: "No statistical difference in those using a gun as opposed to those who did not in preventing human injury." "Bearspray is effective in avoiding injury 92% of the time." https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-study-using-gun-bear-encounters-doesn’t-make-you-safer

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon May 28, 2018 5:58 pm 
ID HIT EM WITH MY BEAR TAZER...WATCH THE KITTY JUMP!..SERIOUSLY TAZER THAT CAT

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon May 28, 2018 7:32 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
BPJ: I'll gamble my Mod. 19 S&W weighs about the same as your .45, and it's a magnum winksmile.gif
But how long are yours and BJP's?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm 
Every thread about animal attacks or car breakins eventually deteriorate to a comparison of strap ons by the usual suspects. rolleyes.gif