Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Bald 4240 via Ashland Lks 5/27
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm 
Needed a short easy hike for my Sunday afternoon. I chose to head up and check out the west summit of Bald Mtn off the Mtn Loop. Arrived at the Ashland Lakes trailhead and was hiking by about 3pm. There were only about a dozen vehicles at the trailhead, not bad considering the 100s of cars at Lk22. Made quick work of the trail to Beaver Plant Lake. Just past the lake I took the signed trail for Bald Mtn. Only saw one set of recent prints. This trail is a primitive trail that looks to see very few boots. It was about 80-90pecent snow free and with a map and a little looking pretty easy to follow to below the summit. It’s a nice trail through dense old growth with the occasional view toward the north of Three Fingers and other Mtn Loop peaks. I enjoyed my solitude, the forest, and the birds chirping. Trail bushes haven’t quite leafed out, and the few bugs were not biting, really good time to do this trail. Just below the summit, I left the trail and went easily up to the treed top. Peek-a-boo views exist to the north. Nice day to be out! This trhd requires discover pass.
trailside slabs
trailside slabs
Trail views
Trail views
peak-a-boo views
peak-a-boo views
trail views
trail views
summit area
summit area
Pilchuck from summit
Pilchuck from summit
Summit views
Summit views
Liberty
Liberty
Boardman
Boardman
Three Fingers with Lookout
Three Fingers with Lookout
3fingers
3fingers
stinky
stinky
Beaver Plant
Beaver Plant

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 28, 2018 5:12 pm 
Good choice. I tried for the main summit via this route once and had to give up. I should have been content with the closer and more attainable summit. The trail was overgrown years ago when I tried. The main summit is much more reachable via the Walt Bailey trail to Cutthroat Lakes

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue May 29, 2018 6:37 am 
At about 3,500 ft this trail goes by some pools of dog water.
View larger size in new window

Andy D.

Andy D.
PostTue May 29, 2018 8:04 am 
up.gif Nice shots of Three Fingers! It amazes me how everyone flocks to Pilchuck & Lake 22 when there are so many other awesome places to explore on the Mtn Loop.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 29, 2018 9:54 am 
Jim and I were up there a couple years ago, but I don't know how close we got to your destination (probably not close; a thunderstorm was up there with us); we only went about a mile and a half, I think. Gorgeous trail; I advocated for its resurrection as the next DNR project for Morningstar unit (it was not chosen).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm 
Yeah, it might eventually be abandoned but currently still nice...also only a few blow downs. Puzzlr, I also did the main Bald from the other side.