Forum Index > Trail Talk > Teanaway Country 100 miler volunteers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
briantmorrison

briantmorrison
PostFri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm 
Hey all, I'm putting on a brand new 100 mile race on September 15th in the Teanaway. The race will actually start at the Salmon La Sac sno-park and traverses east all the way to the Iron-Bear Loop. Anyway, we have aid stations at Gallaher Head Lake and Van Epps Pass. I'm looking for volunteers who'd be interested in driving in via 4wd roads and camping out for the weekend to provide aid to our runners. The race would provide the food and water for the runners, but the volunteers would need to get it to the 2 locations and be on site for our runners. The race begins at 5am Sept. 15th. The volunteers for these aid stations would need to be out there for the bulk of the weekend. The race ends at 9pm Sunday Sept. 16th at the Salmon La Sac sno-park. Therefore, volunteers would need to be at Gallaher Head Lake until about 7pm Sunday night. Probably best to spend that night camping at the lake. Please let me know if you are interested or can point me in the direction of someone who may be interested in helping out. You can reply here or email me directly at brian@fleetfeetseattle.com Thanks in advance, Brian

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon May 28, 2018 7:16 am 
Because the WDFW High Buck hunting season is scheduled for Sept. 15-25, 2018 in this area, I expect there will be hunters in the area of your planned trail run. I have hiked in this area during the High Buck hunting season and there were hunters using horses to carry their camping equipment into their high camps. Some trails allow motor bikes and while hiking during hunting season we have met and talked to hunters on motor bikes. It has been my experience that the high country hunters are nice and considerate. Other hunting seasons during your Sept 15-16 trail run include: Forest Grouse hunting Season Sept 1 – Dec 31, 2018 Wild Turkey hunting Season Sept 1 – Dec 31, 2018 Wash Dept Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) Game Managment Unit (GMU) 335 appears to include Van Epps Pass, Salmon La Sac, and the Iron Bear Trail areas.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue May 29, 2018 8:13 am 
We are unable to commit to volunteer due to the uncertainty re my pending knee replacement surgery. We might know more as race date nears. To my fellow NWHikers: Brian, his wife and his team are first class people. I hope some of you will volunteer and lend your experience and knowledge of the area. ETA: AFAICT, the race course does not cross into wilderness area. Hunters getting in place for opening day of high buck season will have moved through before the race start.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue May 29, 2018 9:07 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
We are unable to commit to volunteer due to the uncertainty re my pending knee replacement surgery.
Good healing with this, whenever it occurs. I'm trying to ignore the probability of needing this one day for one of mine. Too much "fun" when I was younger, I think.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostThu May 31, 2018 9:38 pm 
I concur with whoever else mentioned the High Hunt begins 9/15...and the area will be crawling with all different types of folks hunting and camping. I have been out there with not a camp area around by the roads. So do be careful! It is absolutely beautiful over there that time of year...

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 am 
Maybe TAH would volunteer biggrin.gif