Forum Index > Trip Reports > Season Ender
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 am 
This story will encourage others to consider their own preparedness - many (including me) should read more about what can go wrong, and how the highly competent individual persevered (or didn't, in some cases). It sounds like you did everything right and were just in the wrong place at the wrong time - a few seconds or millimeters could have made all the difference (and this, of course, works both ways - I shudder to think of the close calls I've probably had without even realizing it). Thanks for having the courage to share, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery. The guys who gave you crap, I can only hope that's a generational thing, and that that part of the culture is in decline. I'm sure they wouldn't have said a word to me (or maybe would have even given words of awe and encouragement) in a similar situation, and I'm way less capable. Forgive them, however, for I'm sure they had no clue of the disrespect.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jdk610

jdk610
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 6:35 am 
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. ejain, to answer your questions: I had hiking poles and they were critical for walking out. I considered improvising a brace/splint, but ultimately decided not to mess with my ankle/lower leg. My shoe seemed to be providing some support and I was able to move forward - I didn't want to mess with a "good thing" and become truly immobilized.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am 
Dang!!!! way to make a date with your husband!

Art is an adventure.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
But I took some pretty pictures that day, and the story is probably slightly more interesting than my usual trip reports, so here we go.
The photos are great and the sobering trip report is equally great. For me, a lot of the climbing injuries that people mention on this site are things I can gloss over, since I rarely engage in those activities. This, however, is something that could easily happen to me, also a solo hiker, so it was thought provoking to read about your experience and what it would take to extract oneself out of such a predicament. Toughness and smarts, that's what. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:19 pm 
Thanks for writing this up. I don't think I could have done what you did. I probably would have set off my beacon for SAR. I admire your grit.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 pm 
Hope you have a quick recovery. Also, I admire your determination to make it back down without help

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:40 pm 
Jdk610 is recovering nicely from her epic. She has plans for an innovative adventure in the Far North. Check it out: https://evergreenendurance.com/river-meets-road/ Go get it, Jessica!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still