Previous :: Next Topic  
jennajhay
Jenna H

jennajhay

Jenna H
PostFri May 25, 2018 10:41 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hi!

This is my first time going to Olympic National Park. I'd like to hike the High Divide which is a 17 mile loop trail rated as hard. There are occasionally black bears and goats, so it'd be safer for me to hike with a partner rather than solo. I also am open to camping overnight and making it a two-day hike.

Here is trail info:https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/high-divide-seven-lakes-basin-loop

I can rent a car, and we could split the gas costs! Happy to buy us food if you can supply some hiking gear (since I'll be flying out to Seattle from Dallas).

Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in!

About me:
24 years old, female. Athletic. I'll talk about anything and would love to get to know you.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108

Thundering Herd
PostFri May 25, 2018 12:41 pm 
Be prepared for lots of snow. June 2 is pretty early and that is a very snowy area.  I'll be up there in July and I expect snow, the rangers actually sent me an email warning me about potential snow issues when I got the permit.

--------------
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing"  - Albert Einstein
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP

PostFri May 25, 2018 5:01 pm 
Here is a trip report from late June last year. I would expect more snow than you see here.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024600&highlight=seven+lks+basin+lakes

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
AlpineRose

AlpineRose

PostFri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm 
Be prepared for plenty of snow travel and routefinding.  Bring your skis.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher

Boot buster
PostFri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm 
Also ensure you have permits needed it's a hard area to get them for this late in the game.

--------------
I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
jennajhay
Jenna H

jennajhay

Jenna H
PostSat May 26, 2018 4:17 am 
Thanks for the heads up on snow! Iíll probably look for a different hike then! Is all of Olympic still pretty snowy or are there good early season hikes to do?
Abert

Abert

PostSat May 26, 2018 7:11 am 
This holiday weekend should generate a lot of trip reports with current conditions.  WTA.Org is a good resource.  The NE part of the peninsula is the least snowy.  For views, Mount Townsend is pretty much snowfree now.  Marmot Pass/Buckhorn Mountain will have some manageable snow.  The same for Hurricane Ridge.  You can string considerable walking in between Hurricane Hill and out along Klahhane Ridge.  Where 90% of park visitors will be, but still very scenic. Tyler Peak/Baldy is more rugged.  The walk south from Baldy on Gray Wolf Ridge is very nice but depends on snow conditions.

You can use the Upper Dungeness Trailhead for a walk up the Dungeness River Valley or up to Royal Basin.  The Dosewallips and Elwha both have road closures so I wouldn't recommend them.  The Hoh is true rainforest, but a longer drive.

It's well worth it to visit the coast.  North from Rialto or either direction from Ozette.  There's construction on Hwy 101 around Lake Crescent west of Port Angeles so that can cause half hour delays on weekdays.

--------------
Photos
Peakbagger Page
Mswest
Jess

Mswest

Jess
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 am 
Hey, past your date but I am looking for a hiking buddy for the Olympics... I have done the seven lakes but itís been some years. Let me know if u want to schedule a hike sometime!!! 29yo F active

--------------
Jess West
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Partners > Hiking June 2nd: High Divide - Seven Lakes Basin Loop
  Happy Birthday Kathleen, eplanajr, Pepper!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: