Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Earliest Trails in the Olympics
Previous :: Next Topic  
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The link to the map is broken.  I'm still trying to figure out where the Dry Creek trail went on its way down to Camp Comfort.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
meck

meck
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:14 pm 
Hi RR, it looks like the 1953 Mt Tebo quad depicts the trail.  It drops down from the "Lebar Pass".

Try this link to the USGS Historical Topo Map Explorer, move the map over to the Mt Tebo area, then click on the pass area, and look for the 1953 Mt Tebo quad map on the timeline below.

--------------
*pain is just your body telling you "you're doing it wrong"*
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 pm 
Yes, that's it.  I see it and it goes EXACTLY where I most recently predicted it did.. thanks!  OH that is so cool, you can slide the transparency and see how it lines up with the modern map.  The trail crossed very close to the four way intersection where I have to park.

Another thing, from the 4 way up I think the old trail tread is almost  all in what is still old growth forest!!  That means it could be followed up the old way, thus avoiding the road walk.  I think I could park at the 4 way and walk up the old trail!  I have to park at the 4 way anyway thanks to my low clearance car.  Maybe we could get the Mount Rose Trial crew to reopen the trail??  Wouldn't that be neat??
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 pm 
I see some old maps show a trail behind Hammer Cabin that leads up to Smith Lake.  No sign of that trail on current maps.   Interesting.  I really need to get out and find Hammer Cabin one year.

Also we went out and found some sections of the Abandoned Dry Creek Trail: http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2018/06/sluething-out-abandoned-section-of-dry.html
meck

meck
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 pm 
I know, I've been eyeballing that old trail above the lake for potential exploration for a year or two now as well.  I came across part of what appeared to be the old trail bed on this adventure when I was trying to traverse around to the Smith Lk waytrail (right where it turns from east to north in a small clearing depicted on the 1947 quad).

I later visited the lk waytrail to trailbag that section last October (and visit its general "pit" of a location), but darned if it isn't even worse than a goat path... (if the old trail was as bad I'd say forget it!).  The terrain can be darned steep, though that route looks a tad mellower.  I looked for (not that closely) some sign of an old trail grade heading off to the right (east) but did not see anything obvious at that time.

--------------
*pain is just your body telling you "you're doing it wrong"*
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm 
meck wrote:
I know, I've been eyeballing that old trail above the lake for potential exploration for a year or two now as well.  I came across part of what appeared to be the old trail bed on this adventure when I was trying to traverse around to the Smith Lk waytrail (right where it turns from east to north in a small clearing depicted on the 1947 quad).

I later visited the lk waytrail to trailbag that section last October (and visit its general "pit" of a location), but darned if it isn't even worse than a goat path... (if the old trail was as bad I'd say forget it!).  The terrain can be darned steep, though that route looks a tad mellower.  I looked for (not that closely) some sign of an old trail grade heading off to the right (east) but did not see anything obvious at that time.

Wow that was a heck of a route.  I did black and white "lake" as a day hike but did not make it to Smith Lake.  Mean to get back up there someday too.  I went up the black and white lake way trail on that hike, it was steep for sure.. smile.gif
http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2016/07/black-and-white-lakes-dayhike_3.html

I don't think I'd want to take the old trail up or down even if I could find it, but might like to traverse the high country part of it.  One old map shows a fork in that trail, maybe more mines up there.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Earliest Trails in the Olympics
  Happy Birthday outdoorgirl, wildernessed!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: