Forum Index > Trip Reports > Axis Peak via Lake Stuart 6/2/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 am 
I joined an Everett Mountaineers group to scramble up this infrequently-climbed peak in an otherwise very busy area. I was looking forward to the great front seat view of the north side of the Stuart Range. We set off from the trailhead at 7am and made good time to Lake Stuart, 4.7 miles to the lake viewpoint in a bit over 2 hours. The view of the peaks from the meadow along the trail was amazing, and the scenery at the lake was so gorgeous, with Lake Stuart rising in the background.
Pretty much right at the first open viewpoint along the lake shore there is a boulder field and that is where we began straight up. Then had to carefully navigate up steep loose rock and dirt. No rock was secure in these areas, which also were torched by a recent forest fire. In a while we came to an area of pretty solid ledgy rock which was much nicer, but then went back to steep dirt.
After gaining 2300 feet in the longest 1 mile of my life, we finally reached the summit ridge near a saddle to the west of the summit and it was a much more simple ridge hike east to the summit. This ridge yielded spectacular views of the north side of the Stuart Range from Cannon to Stuart, Jack Ridge, Chimney Rock and all those peaks, Daniel, Eightmile, Glacier Peak, Cashmere, etc. Very stunning.
5.8 miles and 5:45 hours from the trailhead, we reached the summit and soaked in all the great scenery:
On the way down we mainly stuck to our track up with one place where we found an easier variation. Going down this slope was more dangerous than going up, being easy to slip and fall, or kick rocks down. But it was great to have the view of the lake and Stuart in our face the whole time. We returned to the lake and cruised out to the trailhead. 12 miles, 12 hours, 4400 feet of gain according to my watch.
One of the most brutal scramble routes (2500' gain in a bit over 1 mile) with some of the greatest rewards. Such amazing scenery and it is nice to have the whole mountain to ourselves in an otherwise really busy area. I highly recommend trekking poles as they are like having 2 extra legs and really help with balance and stability on this steep and loose slope, especially on the way down. Here is the link to my GPS track: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move221604620 I was vague in my route description so if you want my GPS track PM me your email and I will send it to you in the file extension you desire.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message