Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cashmere Mtn 6-2-18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am 
Yesterday seemed like a good day to attempt this beast. I had near perfect weather with it partly sunny the whole day, it would kinda suck to do this one in the heat of August. So i drove out friday night had a few beers by the river and crashed in the car. I was on the trail by 800am armed with beta from the TRs of Brushbuffalo and Awilsondc, thanks guys! ( even got lucky and found Awilsondc's gps track on peakbagger just in case) After a little under a mile you will see an overgrown road on your right, the upper part of the road was a little hard to find. Where there is a wooden post trail marker just walk NE through brush and you eventually cross it. I came to the first creek crossing and continued to the first stand of green trees then started workin my way up. Well the good thing about the route is you gain elevation quick! I must have left the road early too beacause the first 1000ft werent the funnest, same ash dirt hell! The views were aplenty with the enchantment and stuart range peaks dominating the south! After the loose dirt down low i came to a boulder field and started my long rising traverse NW towards the summit, which stays hidden the whole time. I too stayed mostly on boulders. What seemed like forever the Dagger and SE gully finally came into view! I caught my second wind and prepared for the real fun!
Some of the bushes i had to bash through
Some of the bushes i had to bash through
Enchantments
Enchantments
Canon Mtn, see the washout on the old road
colchuck and dragontail, colchuck lake too
colchuck and dragontail, colchuck lake too
one of the caroline lakes
one of the caroline lakes
the dagger
the dagger
the SE gully proper
the SE gully proper
glad to be at the gully
glad to be at the gully
I stayed mostly to the middle of the gully but trended to left towards the top and got some nice scramblin in! I was in mostly class 3-4 the last 500ft+, rocker.gif I corkscrewed around the summit block to bag another majestic cascade peak! Wow, worth all the hard work! I stayed up top for a few hours and celebrated with a couple of summit brews of course! I didnt see anyone on the way up but saw a few sets of boot tracks no more than a few days old. I made my way down and would be taking the long way out through the Caroline lakes area. Actually some the downclimbing on this section was really fun! On the way out i ran into a couple just under the summit formation, they had no idea where i came from lol. They were daytrippin the standard route, i told them about the SE gully. Thank god i didnt do that route, would make for a long day. Traveling cross country through meadows was fun and beautiful. Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Made it back to car at 800pm. I took my sweet ass time, most everyone else could probabaly shave a few hours off if in a hurry. Its always a treat to come back to this area maybe thats why ive come here so damn much!
halfway up gully
halfway up gully
Topped out in gully
Topped out in gully
Summit block
Summit block
Corkscrew at the top
Corkscrew at the top
Tryin not to die while taking summit selfie
Tryin not to die while taking summit selfie
Stuart and friends
Stuart and friends
Rainier makes an appearance
Rainier makes an appearance
Descent route towards windy pass
Descent route towards windy pass
Obligatory Rainier shot
Obligatory Rainier shot
Cool little gendarme on descent, and you can see the couple on the snow
Cool little gendarme on descent, and you can see the couple on the snow
Casmere
Casmere
Gnarly, you can see the dagger bottom right
Gnarly, you can see the dagger bottom right
meadow traverse, top of cashmere
meadow traverse, top of cashmere
Caroline lake
Caroline lake
last look
last look
Eightmile lake
Eightmile lake
Thanks again guys for all the helpful beta! Another great day to be alive! Cheers to all! 5hrs car to summit, 11mi rt, 6000ish ft elev. gain

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am 
Nice, we talked about Cashmere yesterday but ended up looking at it from the top of Daniel.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:56 am 
Awesome. up.gif I haven't done Cashmere, but if I do it'll be via this route.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm 
Nice! I really enjoyed that route. Quick word of warning to anyone who wants to go that way, it's completely bone-dry and very hot in summer so bring plenty of water.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:09 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Cool to see the route to Coney Lake from that vantage. If I remember, 4000' of vert in 1.7 miles to the saddle decent to the lake. That landslide is massive. Pretty neat to stand on the ledge and look down into that scar. Get a real perspective. Thanks for sharing your adventure

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:23 pm 
RichP wrote:
haven't done Cashmere, but if I do it'll be via this route.
RichP, it is becoming the route of preference now, I think. The traverse is fun, doing it ccw. On the descent there is likely to be a moderate snow slope on the north side until midsummer. Were you able to traverse above it, ozzy?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm 
Hadn't heard about this route--great TR and thanks for sharing, as always! Cheers

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:38 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Cool to see the route to Coney Lake from that vantage. If I remember, 4000' of vert in 1.7 miles to the saddle decent to the lake.
Yeah something close to that, Jake Robinson and I climbed that route last year! It definitely felt like that much.

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:43 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
The traverse is fun, doing it ccw. On the descent there is likely to be a moderate snow slope on the north side until midsummer. Were you able to traverse above it, ozzy?
Yeah i was able to bypass it, it was melted out just enough for me to squeeze by in some places. There were tracks on the snow but the runout/ exposure was pretty significant.

Ready2climb

Ready2climb
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:23 pm 
I did the same route on Friday the 1st with Fred V., so some of the steps were ours. Yes, a long day but worth doing the loop. We had heard there was snow up to 6,000 feet but the route up was almost completely free of snow and very patchy on the way down. We never had to break out the snowshoes or crampons. Dusting off my Bulger's list.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 am 
Nice job Ozzy! That's a fun route, definitely worth lingering here and there. Well done. rocker.gif

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 11:01 am 
Rad route! I climbed Cashmere twice in two days once. I had to go back because I left my shovel on the summit.

in2wtr

in2wtr
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 pm 
Hey, great photos - that was us on the snow below you!!! It was such a surprise to see you coming down from the ridge since we hadn't seen a soul all day coming up from Lake Caroline. We love our long ass days. wink.gif We saw a bear as we descended into that upper meadow - a really big, hairy, brown bear - my partner thought for a moment it was a cow! I think that was the fatigue and lack of trail mix. :-) We did some research and think it couldn't possibly have been a grizzly. We shouted at it so it would know we were there, and after a brief stare down (from a distance), my partner made an ear-piercing whistle, and it bounded away. Yes, another fabulous day to be alive! Happy trails, Sarah.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 2:45 pm 
in2wtr wrote:
We saw a bear as we descended into that upper meadow - a really big, hairy, brown bear - my partner thought for a moment it was a cow! I think that was the fatigue and lack of trail mix.
Yea probably fatigue. What you witnessed was most likely the Colchuck Lake walrus that sauntered on over to that meadow. This image taken last fall
See any walrus tracks?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
in2wtr

in2wtr
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
See any walrus tracks?
Naw no track, unless they like glissading. Smart fellars to find new territory as the herds of goretex goats descend on Colchuck.