Forum Index > Trip Reports > Holliway Mtn 8020 (USGS Washington Pass) 5/26-28/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 pm 
Dates: May 26-28 Destination: Holliway Mtn via Swamp Creek, Methow Pass, Methow River & Nugget Lakes Party: Matt, Carla (Dicey) Short Version Day 1: Ascended Swamp Creek to 7700 feet on Hardy, then back down to a fine view camp at 7000 feet above Methow Pass. Day 2: Visit Holliway by descending PCT down the Methow River to 4600 feet, then back up via Nugget Lakes to Holliway's summit. A long round trip, but a great view of Golden Horn's steep north side. Day 3: After enjoying one more night at our high camp, reluctantly hike back down to the car.
Holliway GPS Track
Holliway GPS Track
Holliway viewed from Hardy
Holliway viewed from Hardy
Holliway viewed from Azurite in 2008,  about the only location where you clearly see Holliway in relation to its neighbors, and see the steep north faces of Holliway and Golden Horn
Holliway viewed from Azurite in 2008, about the only location where you clearly see Holliway in relation to its neighbors, and see the steep north faces of Holliway and Golden Horn
Quotes of the Trip: "What r3h can do in 1 day and Sjolseth can do in 2 days, we can do in 3 days." Holliway is rarely visited, because you pretty much have to go all the way around Golden Horn to get to it. We made it worthwhile by spending two nights at a beautiful high camp above Methow Pass, plus the striking view of Golden Horn's north face from Holliway.
Holliway summit view looking east
Holliway summit view looking east
Holliway summit view looking south
Holliway summit view looking south
Holliway summit view looking west
Holliway summit view looking west
"I don't want to go back to civilization. I want to stay here." The difficulty of such a fine camp is that you just want to remain there and keep soaking in the glorious views, thus our reluctance to leave. But the memories remain. Plus lots of photos.
Golden Horn & Tower from camp
Golden Horn & Tower from camp
Golden Horn & Tower by moonlight
Golden Horn & Tower by moonlight
Golden Horn & Tower at sunrise
Golden Horn & Tower at sunrise
Golden Horn & Tower at sunset
Golden Horn & Tower at sunset
Saturday Swamp Creek to Hardy to Methow Pass Camp We parked at the large turnout by Swamp Creek, walked across the highway bridge to the west side of the creek, and then just angled uphill to Hardy. The terrain was open forest lower down, a bit of brush at the edges of the old burn, and then snow higher up. To avoid traversing the steep gullies on Hardy's southeast side, we continued all the way up to 7800 feet, then followed Hardy's east ridge back down to the wide crest at 6900 feet, where we camped.
Looking up Hardy from the parking lot
Looking up Hardy from the parking lot
Carla ascending through the burn, with the parking area still visible below
Carla ascending through the burn, with the parking area still visible below
Looking up the shoulder of Hardy
Looking up the shoulder of Hardy
Turning the corner to descend
The slope we descended from Hardy to camp (taken later in the evening)
The slope we descended from Hardy to camp (taken later in the evening)
Swamp Creek to Camp: 2.8 miles, 3810 gain, 860 loss, 6 hours. Evening at Camp We had a very comfortable camp, with big rocks for seats, flat snow for the tents, and expansive views to peaks stands high above the valleys below. We relaxed for a leisurely dinner, many cups of tea, wine, & whiskey, and a nap before sunset. Late in the evening, one other party arrived in the area and set up camp around the corner from us. They were planning to climb Tower the next day.
Surprise visitors, with their destination in the background.
Surprise visitors, with their destination in the background.
Western skies had become cloudy, but our area stayed clear enough to wash colors across the peaks as the sun set and moon rose.
Golden light on Cutthroat & Porcupine, 9:23pm
Golden light on Cutthroat & Porcupine, 9:23pm
Afterglow above Cutthroat & Porcupine, 9:47pm
Afterglow above Cutthroat & Porcupine, 9:47pm
The sun faded out into the western clouds, but cast a few brief bits of alpenglow.
Alpenglow on Silver Star
Alpenglow on Silver Star
Alpenglow on Cutthroat
Alpenglow on Cutthroat
Last red cloud above Black Peak
Last red cloud above Black Peak
Last gray cloud above Golden Horn
Last gray cloud above Golden Horn
After midnight, I got back out of bed to briefly take a few moonlight photos.
Moonlit Golden Horn
Moonlit Golden Horn
Moonlit Hardy
Moonlit Hardy
Sunday Morning at Camp Sunrise brought glorious pastel skies above a sea of clouds.
Colors above and clouds below
Colors above and clouds below
Hardy
Hardy
Golden Horn & Tower
Golden Horn & Tower
Cutthroat & Porcupine
Cutthroat & Porcupine
Black Peak before dawn
Black Peak before dawn
Black Peak alpenglow
Black Peak alpenglow
Corteo alpenglow
Corteo alpenglow
Sunrise burning through the corner of Tower.
Sunrise burning through the corner of Tower.
Methow Pass Camp to Holliway (6:20am – 2:10pm) The route to Holliway consists of four parts: 1. Descend the PCT from Methow Pass to Wills Camp at 4600 feet. 2. Ascend alongside Golden Creek to Nugget Lakes at 5880 feet. 3. Follow a snow gully uphill 2000 feet, bypassing a small waterfall lower down. 4. Scramble up loose rock to the crest then left on solid rock to the summit. First we walked downhill, into the rising sun, on a ridge above the clouds, to Methow Pass. Carla liked the undulating cornice remnants so much that she deliberately walked along the crest of each one. Turning the corner at Methow Pass also brought dramatic views of Hardy's steep east face.
Heading out from camp
Heading out from camp
Walking into the light
Walking into the light
Steep side of Hardy
Steep side of Hardy
More steepness of Hardy
More steepness of Hardy
Then we walked downhill for several more miles along the PCT, which was snow-covered until near the end, but fairly easy to follow by looking for trail-like paths through the woods. It was all easy travel in mostly open forest. I neglected to take more than one photo the whole way. At Wills Camp, we turned uphill and followed the righthand side of Golden Creek up to Nugget Lakes. It was still mostly open with occasional brush, though the upper parts would be very brushy when the snow melts out. We stayed a bit too close to the creek near a constriction at 5100 feet going up, but found easier travel by staying farther away going down. Right before Nugget Lakes is a slab waterfall, below which we crossed the creek on a flat area.
Walking along the snow-covered PCT
Walking along the snow-covered PCT
Slab waterfall below Nugget Lakes
Slab waterfall below Nugget Lakes
We enjoyed a sunny break at Upper Nugget Lakes under the looming north walls of Golden Horn, then headed up the main gully toward Holliway's summit. About 300 feet up, there are a couple rock steps and a waterfall blocking the gully. To avoid those, we started out on the left from Nugget's outlet stream, crossed the gully below the waterfall, then angled back into the gully from the right, where there was easy packed dirt for access. After that it was just kicking steps uphill on good snow into expanding views.
Route up the Holliway gully
Route up the Holliway gully
Carla ascending (good thing we didn't need to use that other gully in the background)
Carla ascending (good thing we didn't need to use that other gully in the background)
uphill
uphill
further up
further up
At the top of the snow, we wandered up and down a bit trying to find the least loose way up the rock. In the end, we probably should have just tucked in right next to the summit block on the left. Once we got there, it was easy rock scrambling to the top.
summit is atop the outcrop on the left
summit is atop the outcrop on the left
Last corner onto easier terrain at the top
Last corner onto easier terrain at the top
Holliway Summit (2:10 – 2:50pm) Holliway's summit cairn was perched on a pointy rock, but nearby was a remarkably comfortable flat area to hang out and enjoy the views.
Me near the summit
Me near the summit
Carla on the break area
Carla on the break area
ladybug proof of summit
ladybug proof of summit
I already posted the labeled summit panoramas at the top of the report, but here are some more of the peaks.
Holliway summit cairn, with Azurite & Ballard
Holliway summit cairn, with Azurite & Ballard
The Needles, looking much less pointy from this angle
The Needles, looking much less pointy from this angle
Silver Star & Snagtooth Ridge
Silver Star & Snagtooth Ridge
Tower
Tower
Golden Horn
Golden Horn
Logan, Easy Pass, & Ragged Ridge
Logan, Easy Pass, & Ragged Ridge
Ragged Ridge
Ragged Ridge
Picket Range
Picket Range
Check out the contrast between the north and south faces of Golden Horn:
South side of Golden Horn (from Methow Pass camp)
South side of Golden Horn (from Methow Pass camp)
North side of Golden Horn (from Holliway)
North side of Golden Horn (from Holliway)
Some Interesting Notes From The Holliway Summit Registers There are two registers, the original film can register from 1981 and Fay Pullen's register from 2010.
old register, page 1
old register, page 1
old register, page 2
old register, page 2
new register
new register
Since the first ascenders, Cliff Lawson & Dan Sjolseth, were Trailblazers, they probably stocked fish in Nugget Lakes. The first canine ascent was Grant Myers dog, Luna, in 2005. The registers contain father and son ascents 35 years apart, by Dan Sjolseth in 1981 and Tom Sjolseth in 2016. There are only 10 recorded visits since 1981. However, there was at least one other visit, by Stefan Feller in 2008, who was unable to find the register. Half the recorded visits are solo trips. After the first couple ascents, most visits are probably from peak-baggers working on the Top 200 list, since Holliway is #192 on that list. Holliway to Methow Camp (2:50-8:45pm) The summit was so comfortable that I'd gladly have stayed for a nap, but Carla reminded me that we'd have to move along if we wanted to get back out of the woods to Methow Pass for sunset. So off we went, down the loose rocks, down the snow gully, down alongside the creek, and up the valley back to Methow Pass.
the route back down (with a piece of Carla in the corner)
the route back down (with a piece of Carla in the corner)
Shadows descending toward Nugget Lakes (I like the upside-down tree shadows)
Shadows descending toward Nugget Lakes (I like the upside-down tree shadows)
We made it to Methow Pass right at sunset. Carla hurried on up to camp, while I slowed down to rest and take photos. Back at camp after 14.5 hours, we were very glad to sit on our comfortable rocks and eat a leisurely dinner as the stars came out.
Shadows back at Methow Pass for the moonrise and sunset
Shadows back at Methow Pass for the moonrise and sunset
Hiking up toward Hardy
Hiking up toward Hardy
Looking back toward Tower
Looking back toward Tower
A bit of alpenglow over Porcupine
A bit of alpenglow over Porcupine
Stars coming out over Golden Horn and Tower
Stars coming out over Golden Horn and Tower
Holliway Round Trip: 13.8 miles, 5730 gain and loss, 14:30 hours Monday Monday morning came up with clouds covering our camp and me still tired, so we slept in luxuriously late till 9am. As we packed up, we saw the Tower climbers just turning the corner on Hardy to exit, so never knew if they made their summit or not. In turn we turned the corner circa 7550 feet, but were glad we didn't try to traverse any lower on the loose dirt and rocks. Going down was easy on the snow, though I stayed on the ridge too long and almost missed the turn downslope toward Swamp Creek. As we neared the highway, the roar of passing cars made us reluctant to leave the woods and return to the busyness of civilization.
My tent spreading its wings to fly away.
My tent spreading its wings to fly away.
Weekend tea bag collection, 6 for me, 2 for Carla
Weekend tea bag collection, 6 for me, 2 for Carla
You can see the skiers about to turn the corner just below the x mark.
You can see the skiers about to turn the corner just below the x mark.
Heading back downslope, with the burn and the parking area visible 3500 feet below.
Heading back downslope, with the burn and the parking area visible 3500 feet below.
This passage under the highway does not seem safe for pedestrians.
This passage under the highway does not seem safe for pedestrians.
Exit hike: 2.8 miles, 680 gain, 3630 loss, 3:40 hours. Trip total: 19.6 miles, 10220 gain.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 am 
Fantastic trip and report, Matt and Dicey. Those 14-hour days seem to stick in the mind for a long time. biggrin.gif wheelchair.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 am 
Always wonderful on the pictures!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 am 
dang. nice stuff there!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Always wonderful on the pictures!
I agree

Eric Eames
chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack

chandlerhaberlack
chandler haberlack
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm 
strong effort and great report. that looked like a lot of fun!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 am 
Matt wrote:
Black Peak alpenglow
Black Peak alpenglow
Spectacular! up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
BarbE

BarbE
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 pm 
Outstanding mountain scenery and photos! up.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 1:45 pm 
up.gif paranoid.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 pm 
Matt wrote:
I suppose you were like me in seeing this late Saturday halo and thought " oh oh, here comes an unpredicted weather change." Turned out to be just a stray spell of cirrostratus producing that halo. False alarm. smile.gif We were not far away on East Crater.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 pm 
up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:24 pm 
Spectacular! I've been reading up on the east-side lately for sunny options, but the various unknown creek crossings are a bit discouraging. This looks like a nice one without creek complications smile.gif.