Forum Index > Gear Talk > Fuel canister recycling
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostWed May 30, 2018 10:22 pm 
MSR will now accept empty fuel canisters at their repair shop in SoDo for recycling. (not the green Coleman propane type- just isobutane types) You can also get 20% off a new canister. https://thesummitregister.com/msr-fuel-canister-recycling-program/ For those closer to the North End, the Mountaineers will also accept them at their building and transfer them to MSR. https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/announcing-fuel-canister-recycling-at-the-seattle-program-center Really happy about this- I hated throwing these away.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 30, 2018 11:21 pm 
They should be recyclable in your regular municipal recycle program, provided you puncture the canister. I believe DIYSteve said he punched them with an ice axe. Hammer and nail would probably work just as well provided the gas was purged from the canister first.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
uww

uww
PostWed May 30, 2018 11:47 pm 
Ski wrote:
They should be recyclable in your regular municipal recycle program, provided you puncture the canister.
I've never lived anywhere that recycled them. Seattle does not recycle them, which is why MSR started this program.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu May 31, 2018 4:14 am 
UWW wrote:
I've never lived anywhere that recycled them. Seattle does not recycle them, which is why MSR started this program.
?? In that link it says "Empty butane and gas canisters under 2-pounds can go in the garbage.." Sounds like you can recycle them to me.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 31, 2018 8:03 am 
UWW wrote:
Seattle does not recycle them
See the qualifier "with any amount of gas or butane." (Wait, isn't butane a gas?) I recycled punctured cans for years in Seattle. AFAIK the issue with a punctured can is not the gas residue, but the use of mixed materials: Al top/sides, steel punt. I recycle less the last couple years because I've been buying 450g cans and refilling our smaller used cans with a G-Works Gas Saver Plus (recommended by HitTheTrail?). It works great with the proper technique (e.g., cooling recipient can in ice water, heating donor can). Be sure to weigh carefully to avoid overfilling.

uww

uww
PostThu May 31, 2018 10:39 am 
These canisters do not get recycled by SPU. "Empty butane and gas canisters under 2-pounds can go in the garbage." Empty cans go in the Garbage, ones with gas have to be taken to Hazardous Waste. Garbage and Recycling are not the same. I am a bit worried that I have to clarify that. Putting them in the recycling is problematic as they can cause an entire batch of recyclables to be rejected if they are not caught at sorting.
DIYSteve wrote:
AFAIK the issue with a punctured can is not the gas residue, but the use of mixed materials: Al top/sides, steel punt.
That's correct- mixed metals are not accepted as recyclables by most municipalities including Seattle. There is an additional issue with these canisters- the valve contains rubber and plastic which must be removed before taking them to a facility that accepts mixed metals. MSR will now take care of these steps.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:00 am 
UWW wrote:
Garbage and Recycling are not the same.
Yeah yeah, we know that. We are not idiots shakehead.gif FTR, SPU's current policy represents a change. A few years ago I spoke with a SPU representative who assured me that empty punctured gas canisters could be recycled. I would not have placed spent canisters in recycling without confirming that. I do not know when SPU changed its policy. We moved out of Seattle 2 years ago, so I have not kept track.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:02 am 
UWW wrote:
mixed metals are not accepted as recyclables by most municipalities including Seattle.
Well, SPU, WM and most recyclers accept soda pop cans, some of which are Al alloy with steel crimps.

uww

uww
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:11 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
UWW wrote:
mixed metals are not accepted as recyclables by most municipalities including Seattle.
Well, SPU, WM and most recyclers accept soda pop cans, many of which are Al with steel crimp rings, i.e., mixed metals
That is true, but the type and content of steel in an aluminum soda can does not put it in the mixed metal category for a waste processor like these canisters do. Bottom line is these do not go in recycling. Refill them, take them to MSR or put them in the garbage.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:13 am 
Okay, so by "mixed" you don't actually mean "mixed." Got it. Thanks for clearing that up

uww

uww
PostThu May 31, 2018 11:23 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Okay, so by "mixed" you don't actually mean "mixed." Got it. Thanks for clearing that up
You are welcome. I understand that industry jargon can be confusing when common terms are used. Another potential confusing usage is that a batch of recyclables are called "contaminated" and rejected when a non-recyclable is found, but that does not mean "contaminated" in the common usage of some sort of hazardous toxin transfer.
DIYSteve wrote:
FTR, SPU's current policy represents a change. A few years ago I spoke with a SPU representative who assured me that empty punctured gas canisters could be recycled. I would not have placed spent canisters in recycling without confirming that. I do not know when SPU changed its policy. We moved out of Seattle 2 years ago, so I have not kept track.
Unfortunately you may have gotten bad information. Seems like Seattle has had the same policy with these canisters since at least 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100528213238/http://www.seattle.gov/util/Services/Recycling/LookupTool/MetalandMetalItems/CompressedGasContainers/GasCanistersSmall/SPU03_018077.asp

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 am 
For those of you in Snohomish County, save up them empties and take them with your other empties to one of recycling sites adjoining the transfer stations. In Mountlake Terrace, the recycling location is at: Google Map Coordinates 47.805660, -122.316191 They have a bin for old 20 lb / 10 lb propane tanks, the 1 lb green disposable propane tanks, etc. I put the empty fuel cartridges for the pocket rocket there as well. No punch required. Google Snohomish County Solid Waste for more info.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 2:09 pm 
Quote:
They should be recyclable in your regular municipal recycle program, provided you puncture the canister.
No, you have to check. A while ago Bellevue did, then they didn't, now (I think) they do. As well, you can drop off used isopro type canisters at The Mountaineers facility. They are partnering with MSR on a recycling effort. Information here: Mountaineers Recycleing Program

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 pm 
In the grand scheme of things -- I wonder if tossing punctured canisters in the garbage is better than making a separate driving trip to MSR or the Mountaineers in order to recycle them. I guess you would need to collect emptied canisters for a while and then when you are going there for other reasons...