Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT Section H questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 2:38 pm 
I'm looking to section hike PCT Section H. The main question I have is whether to stop and resupply in Trout Lake. I have read that this can be a difficult resupply because of the remoteness and hitchhiking. The reason FOR resupplying at Trout Lake would be to carry less food - it is a ~150 mile stretch without resupply, but an ~85mi and ~65mi stretch with. I am thinking I can average 15-18 mi/day on this stretch, but I do not really know how long it'll take my "trail legs" to come in. Any advice appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Julia

Julia
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 am 
I've been through twice & haven't had a problem getting rides either way. You'll probably have a little cell service as you're approaching the road--once you get service, call the Trout Lake store & ask them if anyone is going out that way--they're really helpful. We've been able to hitchhike from out there, also. Getting back to the trail is no problem--there are trail angels in Trout Lake that will take you back to the trail, just check in at the TL store. smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:02 am 
I believe there is no real problem getting in and out of trout lake. Did section H last year, but hit it right as the East Crater fire started so not under usual circumstances. I was actually in the group of thru hikers and section hikers that were the first to turn around. We had all knotted up, because we were meeting a flood of wide eyed people heading south reporting that the fire was right on the trail. Meet up later at the start of section J with a thru hiker that was 15min ahead of us that had some pretty wild pics of the fire as he skated by. He was also the one who tried to make it through section I, but even he was not that crazy and turned around when he topped the ridge and saw the whole valley burning. So anyway check for trail closures around Indian heaven caused by last years fire. Also I know the eagle creek fire jumped the Columbia, but don’t know what damage it did if any to the Pct. The trail crosses numerous roads down there so should be easy to find a redirect if necessary. Here are the trail angels and services at trout lake from last year.

asdf

asdf
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am 
Thanks, folks, I appreciate the information. Sounds like I should plan on resupply at Trout Lake.