Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beta Olympics Traverse
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildcat

wildcat
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:20 pm 
These all share a highly visible ridge line from Seattle: Point Harrah Constance Warrier Peak Boulder Ridge Buckhorn Mountain Worthington Hawk Peak Anyone have any beta on connecting any of them in a traverse?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm 
If you like rope work (and/or class 4 scrambling?) and didn't mind going up and down a lot, I'm pretty sure you can string them together. The Olympic Mountains Climbing Guide (OMCG) has routes for all of those that you could link together, at least mostly, though you would probably want to drop down to nearby trails in a few spots as it would be safer and faster. [EDIT some info sent in a PM] There is some neat terrain and features up there... I'd use a lot of discretion, and think long and hard, before posting any information and/or photos from your trip up there. A lot of that area is already looking loved-to-death (Camp Mystery & Marmot Pass being prime examples...) and is an absolute circus on the weekends.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:59 pm 
Here is a report on the Buckhorn to Worthington traverse. Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
wildcat

wildcat
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm 
Thanks for the reply. Am certainly digging around for the trip reports!

gb

gb
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 5:42 am 
In the Constance to Warrior area you are actually not on the same ridge. Without looking at details on a map, the Warrior Peaks sit on the east side of the Upper Dungeness. Inner Constance is west of Mt.Constance. I've climbed two routes on Mt. Constance, one twice, but have not climbed Inner Constance or the Warrior Peaks. All of these peaks are made of Pillow Lava whose quality and feasibility as far as rock climbing varies considerably. The West Ridge of Constance is a good route but the first pitch is pretty rotten, the second pitch a bit problematic for protection. Then comes several pitches where you climb towers and along ridges with sometimes large, loose blocks. Finally, there is a 3 pitch headwall of quite high angle that probably goes at around 5.7 maximum. This is probably the best rock climb in the eastern Olympics other than down around Mt.Cruiser. I've walked beneath the Warrior Peaks a couple of times, and though there are routes, to me, they were unappealing - the rock looks poor. The Brothers are also Pillow Lava; the South Brother has mediocre to poor rock and is climbed via it's south gully, the North Brother not so bad, at least along the ridge. Mt. Cruiser has mostly solid rock but protection would be impossible on all but a couple of routes. Bottomline, the steep pillow lava peaks of the eastern Olympics are in most cases best climbed by the easiest lines that follow gullies and ramps which are mainly talus and scree. Steep lines can have very poor rock or monolithic (at least crackless) large walls of essentially unclimbable pillow lava.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 8:24 am 
Here is a report for a traverse from Lake Constance to the Dungeness Trail. Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
wildcat

wildcat
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 am 
Thanks for the replies and PMs. I'm putting a picture together... sounds like not the best quality rock/hard to protect in parts. Maybe getting well off the ridge for some sections is the way.