Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:40 am 
I don't agree with the article wholeheartedly. We have influx of new people in this area. That contributes. And not only a normal influx but lower age people who are more active. I saw the data once, but I can find the age or demographics....

Art is an adventure.
neek

neek
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 am 
Yawn. While I deeply respect the work of SAR, I doubt many of them are experts on social media. Also what could a local news source possible have against a force that's killing them.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am 
I do like how WHC gets called out specifically(haha), but the population growth and growth of outdoor sports in general is a big part of it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 am 
(numbers corrected below. I think I was still asleep when I posted this. BK 14:40 PDT )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm 
Ski wrote:
The population of Washington State has increased by about 7 million people since 2009,
there were only 400,000 people in Washington in 2009? confused.gif Gotta love hyperbole. Reality is a 5.4% increase in statewide population led to a doubling of rescue calls in King County alone. Too many lazy hikers not doing their due diligence regarding trail and weather conditions, info which is readily available on social media. And not having reality based assessments of their conditioning. Desire over rides reality.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:30 pm 
Not going to argue the rescue statistics here. But a big contributor to the increasing amount of rescues is because technology has made it easier than ever to call for one. This site provides ample illustration of that. Look at the numerous discussions of devices used to call for help and/or notify stay-at-home partners who panic if they haven't heard from their partner in the last hour. It's ironic to see the number of otherwise burly hiker/climber types who won't leave home without their rescue gadgets. Nanny state indeed. People call for rescue because they CAN. As well, they now expect it. And some feel entitled to it in a timely manner. RE: the family who sued because a recent Mt. Hood rescue wasn't fast enough for them.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm 
dizzy.gif serious typos there. estimated population 2015: 7.17 million 2010 population (US census): 6.72 million actually more like a 6 or 7 per cent increase - depends upon which website you're looking at since there was no census during 2009, which is the year they're citing in the article. those numbers are statewide, though. the article is focused on King County, which has unquestionably seen the largest population increase during that time (in terms of total population.)
AlpineRose wrote:
People call for rescue because they CAN. As well, they now expect it. And some feel entitled to it in a timely manner. RE: the family who sued because a recent Mt. Hood rescue wasn't fast enough for them.
^ I think there's a good deal of truth in this statement. We've discussed this issue here many times. (Who was the guy who climbed up on the side of a wall and then realized he couldn't go left right up or down and then called 911?) It's that cellular phone, GPS, PLB, or whatever gizmo is being used that lulls people into a false sense of security and causes them to tend more to make imprudent choices.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm 
People are eating Tide Pods and burning their arms intentionally on stoves.......of course rescues are on the rise.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
People call for rescue because they CAN.
Excellent point!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm 
Pretty sad article. A newspaper story posted online is not "social media". And Franklin falls is not wilderness. Isn't it inside the freeway, between the two directions? Yes. Nothing but some garbage opinions backed by "because I said so".

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Not going to argue the rescue statistics here. But a big contributor to the increasing amount of rescues is because technology has made it easier than ever to call for one. This site provides ample illustration of that. Look at the numerous discussions of devices used to call for help and/or notify stay-at-home partners who panic if they haven't heard from their partner in the last hour. It's ironic to see the number of otherwise burly hiker/climber types who won't leave home without their rescue gadgets. Nanny state indeed. People call for rescue because they CAN. As well, they now expect it. And some feel entitled to it in a timely manner. RE: the family who sued because a recent Mt. Hood rescue wasn't fast enough for them.
Careful now. I raised some hackles a few months ago for commenting on cell phone usage in the backcountry, and how I left mine at home.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Pretty sad article. A newspaper story posted online is not "social media". And Franklin falls is not wilderness. Isn't it inside the freeway, between the two directions? Yes. Nothing but some garbage opinions backed by "because I said so".
They didn't specify what the on-line story was, and Franklin Falls is a good example. The on-line story prompted higher use, which in turn prompted more calls. I wonder though, as AlpineRose pointed out, if, in the days before the internet, a print story would create such a splutter of visitiation, and without cell phones and with a different mindset, would they have that many SAR calls? Impossible to know.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 pm 
^ Good question. You'd have to go back to the 1980s or early 1990s, when most of us were still sourcing information from "100 Hikes" or "Footsore" guide books. It would be a rather daunting task to try to quantify what impact print stories in local news media might have had then - it was pretty much limited to little articles in the "B" sections of the Seattle Times, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and Tacoma News Tribune. Just a wild guess, but I'd say they did not result in significant increases in visitation. It's doubtful there would have been as many SAR calls simply because the population was much lower then - 4.9 million in 1990 - and the "outdoor" thing was pretty much limited to a small user constituency.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 pm 
ImTheScientist wrote:
People are eating Tide Pods and burning their arms intentionally on stoves.......of course rescues are on the rise.
Long before FB etcetera a guy I was on the job with (Fire) favorite’s saying was that half of all ER trauma visits started with the phrase, hey watch this. Stupid wasn’t invented by millennials or whatever group you want to call out. What’s different is that a call you wouldn’t have known about if it was on the next block then you will now see from Scotland thirty minutes after it happened. I’ve packaged and sent off lots of baby boomers off to hospital for unintentionally, but with stupid aforethought, self inflicted damage. Brown bottles or aluminum cans are often part of the picture. Generation is not the big differential. At risk of being accused of sexism there does seem to be a big male/female difference. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!