Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leave No Trace and Social Media
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
She says "park rangers," which is incorrect, and indicates the only reason to bring a leash, not actually leash the dog, is because you might get a ticket. Piss-poor.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2017 1:29 pm 
^ almost as clueless as the YouTube video cited in another thread yesterday featuring drone shots in two local National Parks. note to KING5 already sent, in my usual diplomatic fashion. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ almost as clueless as the YouTube video cited in another thread yesterday featuring drone shots in two local National Parks.
You call those drones?

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm 
Chico wrote:
hike to Snow Lake (Icicle) advertised on King5 web site
Hold your pitchforks. The King5 story is about Snoqualmie Snow Lake according to the photos, video and the WTA link in the text. Dogs are allowed there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
You call those drones?
did you actually watch the video? huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm 
Ski wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
You call those drones?
did you actually watch the video? huh.gif
Boob jokes go over your head?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:12 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Chico wrote:
hike to Snow Lake (Icicle) advertised on King5 web site
Hold your pitchforks. The King5 story is about Snoqualmie Snow Lake according to the photos, video and the WTA link in the text. Dogs are allowed there.
We know. The issue is not the presence of dogs, it's that the author indicated the only reason to bring a leash - not keeping your dog on the leash - is because you will get a ticket. Piss poor reasoning, and does nothing to promote ethics. It's because it's an express, specific Alpine Lakes Wilderness rule, it's crowded trail and there are wildlife impacts. It ties in with the impact of getting the word out to the public. If you're going to blast about a trail, do it so that hikers understand there are impacts, rules, etc. that are there for stewardship.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 pm 
Five Hidden Washington Waterfalls This article made my jaw drop. I doubt the masses will now head to Depot Creek - or will they? In any case, they now know about the waterfall if they read this article from the Seattle Times. Back in the day, before there was dirt, we headed up Depot Creek to climb Spickard and Redoubt. All we had to go on were a few sparse Pack and Paddle articles, mostly describing how to get to the trailhead. That and my partner's stellar navigational skills. None of our beta mentioned a spectacular waterfall, which we estimated at 900 ft. I will never forget the sense of discovery and sheer astonishment - the feeling - when we came upon it. As though we were two of the very first humans to view this incredible sight. Equally amazing was our wonder at how no one had said a peep about it. Today there are 1,500,401 online pictures of this waterfall (just a guess) and 847,234 GPS tracks showing its location (another guess). Plus a Seattle Times article. Oh, and "Ouzel Lake" provided another wonderful surprise. We had no idea that was there, either. I seem to recall it wasn't on our map. Seeing both waterfall and lake were as exciting as Spickard and Redoubt. Our sense of discovery from that encounter is an endangered species of experience in today's monkey-chatter world.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm 
I like how the article in the above link says about Depot Creek Falls, "This one’s a bit of a cheat, it’s not technically here in Washington, but it’s pretty darn close!" Actually, it is indeed in Washington.

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 pm 
I interviewed Mark about this. Listen to our discussion here- http://northcascadehiker.com/cascade-hiker-podcast/084

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ almost as clueless as the YouTube video cited in another thread yesterday featuring drone shots in two local National Parks. note to KING5 already sent, in my usual diplomatic fashion. wink.gif
That’s a quality vid!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 pm 
Leave No Trace issues guidance on social media. Note this is guidance, it's not a law, not a rule, not a mandate, and not an 8th essential. But I bet at least one of you will get your panties or 'nads all twisted up about it anyway. moon.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 pm 
^ Seems like a good effort there, but I have to wonder about effectiveness. How many people using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or other social media are checking out the "LNT" website? How does that message get conveyed to them? They do raise an interesting point there about what the future holds. Considering the most recent revelations about Facebook, one has to wonder how many people will have the good sense to abandon it and switch to other means of communicating with peers.