Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Island Mountain (MRNP - Sunrise) 6/7/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 4:20 pm 
I was being incredibly indecisive on what to do with a free weekday. I thought about some North Cascades peaks, but I really wanted to catch a sunrise in the high country. Eventually I picked something close enough to home that I could get to some views by sunrise. I had done Goat Island Mountain near Sunrise in Mount Rainier National Park a few years ago and really liked it, so I decided to go back. I was on the trail and hiking by 3:00 am. The trail portion went by quickly and easily and I soon found myself at the big switchback where the NE ridge starts. It's a solid 2200+ ft elevation gain of steep ridge bushwacking from there. It's not too terribly bad by bushwacking standards though. I'd call it a BW1.5. Plenty of plowing through trees and plenty of open sections and a well traveled user trail that is as easy to lose as it is to find again. Continuous snow starting near 6000 ft. I reached the bowl / gully due east of the summit and views started to open up.
Dawn
Dawn
I traversed at about 6100 ft to reach the south rim of the gully to access a cornice free section of the east ridge. I ascended steep snow to gain the east ridge. Crampons were needed for this section and the rest of the way to the summit. Shortly after gaining the east ridge the sun came up. Not the best sunrise I've seen, but as clouds began to move in the golden hour light created some beautiful hazy sunrise scenery.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Clouds coming in
Clouds coming in
On the final ridge
On the final ridge
Views out to the Cowlitz Chimneys were great from here to the summit. Soon I was at the top and was greeted to one of my favorite views of Mount Rainier. It's hard to beat the Emmons Glacier!
Cowlitz Chimneys pano
Cowlitz Chimneys pano
Cowlitz Chimneys
Cowlitz Chimneys
Summit view
Summit view
Shortly after reaching the summit, clouds began to move in around the peak. The summit was mostly higher than the cloud layer, with an occasional short lived cloud blowing over the summit. It was a glorious morning of swirling clouds, early morning light and air, and the east side of Mount Rainier. I soaked it all in over the course of two hours, relaxing, taking photos, and cooking breakfast. Last time I was here I ran the whole ridge, dropped down to Frying Pan Creek, over to Summerland, and then took the trail back to the car. With the clouds and probable lack of views I didn't see the appeal this time and just went back the way I came.
Clouds swallowing up the chimneys
Clouds swallowing up the chimneys
Breathtaking
Breathtaking
Time to depart
Time to depart
The trail was a lot harder to follow on the way down. I got way off course on 2 or 3 occasions, but found my way back just fine. It was nice to have a long trip for a short hike, and just really enjoy the solitude and scenery.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
geyer

geyer
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:43 pm 
Fantastic views! Have you done Mount Wow too? really has that up close and personal feel to it

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 pm 
geyer wrote:
Fantastic views! Have you done Mount Wow too? really has that up close and personal feel to it
Not yet, but I've heard good things! I'll have to move that one up on my to do list.