Forum Index > Trail Talk > Remember when we went out for the solitude.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
Last summer Backpacker Magazine had a short article on Blum Lakes & Mount Blum as a highlighted destination!
1973 Sunset Magazine featured White Rock lakes. They neglected to mention that whole thing about the Ptarmigan Ptraverse.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
. . . and anyone who has ever been there on foot knows it isn't a stroll.
Those of us who have been there 4 times don't know better

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm 
I think getting misty eyed about "the good olde days" is misguided. The number of hikers/backpackers 40 years ago was less, but the ethics were different. I recall cooking over a campfire at Melakwa, Snow, Spectacle, Rachel and even Colchuck lakes in the '60's. More recently I was digging a "cathole" in the Lake Lillian basin and unearthed a load of garbage that include a steel Pepsi can. Share the most popular locations with a myriad of others will also necessitate an more refined ethic that the "Take only pictures, leave only footprints" of a generation ago. To me one important principle in popular areas is "use established trails" The meadows around Paradise are in far better shape than they were in the '70s when a maze of social trails had created a "dust bowl" in the area close to the parking lot. The days of having Snow Lake to yourself on a sunny August Sunday haven't existed since the construction of Alpental in 1967 shortened the trail by 4+ miles.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm 
Given the depths of anxiety and depression that seem to ramp up in numbers every year, I am quite happy to see so many new (especially young) hikers. Its a world of alot better (IMHO) for their body, mind and spirit than ALL the alternatives. Green bonding is good and I strongly suspect the whole culture benefits. Sure would be nice not to see all the TP blooms though biggrin.gif

silence

silence
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
....I am quite happy to see so many new (especially young) hikers. Its a world of alot better (IMHO) for their body, mind and spirit than ALL the alternatives. Green bonding is good and I strongly suspect the whole culture benefits.
up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan