Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Stickney summit 5-5-18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostMon May 07, 2018 12:01 am 
I do Stickney every year. It's kind of my thing. I always go the Onley Creek route, cause i know it well. My 16 year old son has gone twice before and failed to make it the last little stretch both times. First time was the heights after gaining the notch. Second was too much snow last year. This year he wanted to summit. That didn't happen for anyone... You can save at least 0.2 miles each way by driving through the unlocked (or open) gate. Trucks might be able to save .25 to .5 miles. Be ready for gunfire on the way out on the weekends. Target shooting is prevalent here. We were joined by my friend DH and his 11 (almost 12) year old son KH. Both were experienced climbers. We hit slushy snow about 2500-2800 ft elevation. Bear tracks. Deer/Elk tracks. Snowshoes needed if you weigh over 150lbs with pack.
First signs of snow
First signs of snow
Bear
Bear
There were two difficult creek crossings this time. The snow banks were high, and the going was tough.
DH navigating the obstacle
DH navigating the obstacle
we ended up going to the right and using the tree assist
DH, KH, and CD
DH, KH, and CD
My son destroyed his hip flexor muscles 2 weeks ago while fighting a cold and attempting Lake Valhalla. He thought he was recovered, but the snow travel started killing him right away. DH, KH and I dragged him as far as One Acre Lake. Then we all ditched him in some shade with the probability that we would turn around early. He attempted to nap while listening to his iPod. As it turns out, KH was game to push on farther than either of us expected.
Between the logging road and One Acre Lake-first vew of the summit.
Between the logging road and One Acre Lake-first vew of the summit.
One Acre Lake completely covered.
One Acre Lake completely covered.
gully above the lake on the way to the tarn.
gully above the lake on the way to the tarn.
As we got views of the summit, we were pretty sure we didn't want to risk it. But we were this far, so we should at least check it out. The snow was all mush. So we weren't too hopeful. That was the risk we had assumed before heading out, and we knew it might not happen. But we kept pushing on to see if we were wrong.
DH and KH acending from the tarn towards the summit.
DH and KH acending from the tarn towards the summit.
When we got closer, we could see tracks (likely human) that looked like they came from the west (Wallace Falls area?) that entered the basin but did not ascend. The summit had cornices and the gully below had lots of trashy disturbed snow. We decided that an overnight with a cold morning ascent would have worked. But it was afternoon and everything was mushy even on the north side. But we pushed on.
better view of the notch, gully, and cornices.
better view of the notch, gully, and cornices.
view to the north
view to the north
Eventually we decided it wouldn't be too difficult to push to a point west of the summit. KH was dubious about going too far. The going looked easy enough on the snow. So we zig zagged our way up there. KH didn't want to approach the cornice, but DH and I thought it wasn't a risk to take a look. So we offered to let him wait 50 yards back as we took a look. But he said he'd follow us. Good thing... There was no danger on the south side and we were rewarded with amazing views, and a nice rest.
West summit straight ahead, with true summit extreme left.
West summit straight ahead, with true summit extreme left.
There was a cairn on the West Stickney Summit with some cord wrapped around it. We didn't look too hard, but never saw a register. (I brought one for Stickney proper but wasn't going to waste it here...) After picking out peaks and refueling on snacks, we headed back. We took a few glissades, but most of them saved no time, except for one...
Almost there with DH and KH
Almost there with DH and KH
KH made it!
KH made it!
view of the true summit from the west summit
view of the true summit from the west summit
panorama from west summit
panorama from west summit
relaxing on the south side w/cairn
relaxing on the south side w/cairn
We saw my son from a high point above One Acre Lake, But when we got to the lake, my son was not there. But we found downhill tracks right away and a message carved in the snow ("Going Slow"). We didn't catch him until the road. He was in pain. I moved all the weight from his pack to mine. And he still struggled. But with the promise of Vick's Burger Shack (go for the Western Bacon Cheeseburger. It's on the main drag in Sultan just east of Bubba's) and a re-up of ibuprofen, he started to do better. And once the snow was gone, I was struggling to keep up with my newly weighted pack. He and KH started talking sports, and my son never stopped or complained the rest of the way down. We reached the car later than expected due to the extra snow travel and my wife was a little worried about the 2 hour late arrival. But everyone was safe and sound (minus my son's destroyed hip flexors. any rehabilitation advice welcome...) It was a great time. We'll have to come back late season when my son has recovered so he can bag this peak... GPS track: [[after leaving One Acre Lake using this track, you'll see a deviation on the ascent/descent. stay to the east in any season. In the snow, you can choose a glissade on the descent if conditions permit]]

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon May 07, 2018 6:24 am 
What amazing kids, that looks like a challenging day! We were across the Wallace Basin on Nina last Saturday and got a nice view of both summits from the second switchback.
Mt. Stickney from the Wallace Vista Rd. 5/5/18
Mt. Stickney from the Wallace Vista Rd. 5/5/18

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
That summit ridge looks way tougher with snow than when it's melted out. But you're probably one of the few that have been on the west summit. Thanks for the report -- it was good to see it in different conditions than when we were there.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue May 08, 2018 9:55 pm 
Always enjoy Stickney reports. I should get up there again sometime. I've been up the west summit a couple of times myself. up.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed May 09, 2018 5:35 am 
Elk tracks huh that would be interesting to see since they haven't been in there for sometime.

SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostWed May 09, 2018 7:11 am 
timberghost wrote:
Elk tracks huh that would be interesting to see since they haven't been in there for sometime.
I wasn't making a definitive identification when I said "deer/elk". I only included elk because some sets we came across looked like the biggest deer hooves I've ever seen. But I'm not a hunter. So take it for what it's worth...

KurgansDad

KurgansDad
PostThu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 pm 
Nice. A month later now, I wonder how the snow is. Guess I'll have to go up and find out

For too many years I gazed at the Cascades and other mountains as they taunted me and I said "...Someday..." Now I find I'm running out of somedays...
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am 
I went back up solo for an overnight on 5/26/18. Still plenty of snow then. The summit was clear, but the final push deserved crampons and axe. The road still had snow for the last third. That's probably mostly gone now. But off the road will likely have lots of snow still. I walked right across One Acre Lake, and that was 3 weeks ago.
Moon rising through the gap
Moon rising through the gap
view of the notch from West Stickney
view of the notch from West Stickney
Morning view
Morning view

KurgansDad

KurgansDad
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 pm 
Thanks That's an amazing moon shot. Did you plan/wait for that, or just happened to be right place/time?

For too many years I gazed at the Cascades and other mountains as they taunted me and I said "...Someday..." Now I find I'm running out of somedays...
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 pm 
It was complete luck. On my way up, I had time to go up West Stickney before setting up camp, and the moon seemed much higher. But when I descended into the basin, I lucked out and caught the moon right in the gap.
On the way to West Stickney
On the way to West Stickney

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 pm 
One Acre Lake is just beginning to thaw out, but there is still a lot of snow above 3700 feet!
One Acre Lake, Mt. Stickney 6/19/18