Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm 
Saw Solo: A Star Wars Story today - best Star Wars film since the original trilogy! up.gif up.gif up.gif I don't know why it got such mediocre reviews, it's not only shockingly original for a Star Wars movie, it's a remarkably original film in general! Alden Ehrenreich does an impressive job of filling the role of Han; I didn't think it was possible for anyone to take over the role from Harrison Ford, but Ehrenreich was the perfect choice. This is EXACTLY what I wanted from a Han Solo film - tons of action and a generally light hearted tone. The lack of magic force powers and light sabers is very refreshing. It has just the right mix of spectacular CGI and practical effects, edge of your seat action, and enjoyable quieter sequences for character building. On that note, I loved how all the characters played so well off of one another. I enjoyed every minute of it, and I highly recommend seeing it in theaters for the stunning visuals!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm 
Saw Oceans 8 this afternoon welcome variation on the Oceans films, fun film. up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am 
I saw Solo: A Star Wars Story last night and really enjoyed it. I don't know what the critics expected, with their 'paint by numbers' style reviews, which almost convinced me to give this one a miss, but they definitely whiffed in their analysis. Yes, it did tick off all the check boxes, but it was much more than just that. The performances were great too. I think I preferred it to Rogue One.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 pm 
I watch movies/read books that are probably age inappropriate semi-regularly, YA stuff, which I definitely am not. Some of it is kinda cheesy, but some fairly high quality. With that in mind I saw a movie was coming out on DVD I don't remember seeing any commercials or reviews for. I like the lead actress--Angourie Rice (I thought she stole the movie from Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe in "The Nice Guys") so I took a chance on it. "Every Day" is the title. Different twist on teen romantic drama. Have to take a big helping of suspending your disbelief right from the beginning. She falls in love with an entity, not quite sure if it's a person or not, that inhabits the body of a different person every day. That makes a relationship challenging. Other than Rice most of the cast I'd never seen or heard of before but I thought there were good performances throughout and it was an intriguing story.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 am 
"The Tribes of Palos Verdes" was a tough watch. Divorce w/ high school kids caught in the middle of the fighting parents, mental health issues and drug abuse aren't fun. I still found it interesting enough, some good performances. Maika Monroe in particular carried the movie, probably wouldn't have stuck with it without her. The usual Hollywood problem of a mid 20's and late 20's actress and actor playing twin teenager sister and brother--strains credulity nearly to the breaking point.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:27 pm 
Incredibles 2 was great! I didn't have too many high expectations going in, and was reminded quickly and in no uncertain terms why I'd loved the original and still consider it the best animated movie I've ever seen. This one was almost up to the same standard.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm 
Ditto Gali! up.gif I was a bit worried about the 14 year gap and Pixar seems to have slipped a bit in recent years, but it was great. I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies, but Pixar makes the best superhero movies. Baby Jack-Jack was awesome.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 11:30 pm 
Finally saw "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Like many Oscar bait movies it left me fairly disappointed. Just an ugly movie filled with angry, hateful characters, some brutal and random violence, seemingly with no consequences to the perpetrators. And a complete non ending. So tired of that cop out, seen far too often these days. And make up your mind please, was Abbie Cornish's character supposed to be Australian or not in the film? Accent was turned on and off like a light switch. If you haven't already seen it I'd say pass on this one.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 am 
I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the Baywatch movie. However, I thought it could have been a lot better with a few adjustments. First, get someone other than Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to lead it - I can't stand his "acting" (or lack thereof), and it irks me that he seems to be in every other movie these days. Second, drop the "R" rating. 95% of the film is extremely PG, and the R bits are unnecessary, unfunny and unpleasant. Replace those scenes with some much needed character building. I've never seen the original show, but I'm pretty sure it's much more enjoyable than the theatrical adaptation. This isn't a bad movie, but it's not really a very good one either. Worth maybe seeing once, but not a film that I'm likely to ever watch again.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
trestle

trestle
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am 
Another thumbs-up for The Incredibles2. Loved the scenes where Mr. Incredible becomes a better dad, sort of the anti-Homer Simpson. Edna Mode returns in another memorable albeit brief appearance and the wit is as biting as ever. Thank you Pixar.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Second, drop the "R" rating. 95% of the film is extremely PG, and the R bits are unnecessary, unfunny and unpleasant.
Agree completely. It was mind boggling to me why they included that element to the film. Well, agree 95% with you. Probably would still need to be PG-13 because of the over the top close up ogling of lifeguards in skimpy swimsuits.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm 
I was really impressed w/ "Ex Machina," so I was looking forward to the director's latest project "Annihilation." It was visually creative and intriguing, but otherwise fell flat for me. The characters were general uninteresting and underdeveloped and the story just didn't really draw me in. Ex Machina built up a palpable sense of dread throughout its run time. Annihilation didn't do that for me. Tomb Raider reboot was so-so. I like Alicia Vikander (breakout star from previously mentioned Ex Machina), I give her props for obviously putting in a lot of hard work to add some muscle to her very small frame. The action sequences were pretty good but overall the story wasn't particularly compelling. Pacific Rim sequel was fairly silly and ridiculous but decently entertaining. Definitely turn your brain off for this one.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 3:19 pm 
The recent thread about UFOs reminded me that I hadn't watched any cheezy sci-fi in some time, so we checked out the offerings on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) and found a little gem about a walking radioactive tree trunk out for revenge titled From Hell it Came. This is another one of those "so bad it's good" brain softeners that makes Horrors of Spider Island look like Academy Award nominee stuff. Probably would have been a lot better with copious amounts of grain alcohol, but I quit drinking some time back. There's a rather insightful overview and review here.
x-ray awards
x-ray awards

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 12:10 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Well, agree 95% with you. Probably would still need to be PG-13 because of the over the top close up ogling of lifeguards in skimpy swimsuits.
lol I meant to say PG-13!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am 
yep... The Giant Gila Monster! (1959) This one's a hoot - you get it all: 1950's bee-bop rock-and-roll, bullet bras, bucket-T roadsters with flathead V8s souped up with Stromberg tri-power and pancake moons, a cherry '59 Coupe Deville, a '58 Sedan Deville driven into the ditch, a '32 Model A that magically outruns a diesel locomotive running at full speed, and of course the eponymous giant lizard (which in fact is not a Gila Monster but actually a Mexican Beaded Lizard.) Who could ask for more? Actually not a bad story line (as far as 1950s "B" sci-fi/horror movies go), the acting is fairly competent, and cinematography and editing seems to have been done by competent hands. (There are certainly worse things one could waste time watching.) (* corrected 06/23/18 08:33 PDT - it's a 1958 Sedan Deville that gets run off the road - not a 1956 Coupe Deville. )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."