Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Culvert case is over. Culverts must allow fish passage.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 pm 
Story in Seattle Times. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/tied-u-s-supreme-court-decision-means-washington-must-remove-barriers-to-salmon-migration/ To get the most benefit from this map please read the “Map tips”. The “Tips” page includes a link to the injunction plus links to a couple pieces of commentary.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
I’d have hated to be the State’s attorney at the U.S. District level. Among the State’s arguments was that they were already addressing the issue and the Court didn’t need to get involved. In the years between first filing and then the State had fixed some culverts. The problem is that more than they had fixed had become impassable. So they weren’t even staying even. ‘But we’re working hard’ or some such. Facts are sticky things.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 am 
After reading through all of the comments so far posted on the Times web page, I am convinced that 99% of Seattle Times commenters don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to the issue of declines of anadromous salmonid runs. As for my lousy opinion, it will be BIGLY expensive, but a much more constructive use of the money than the fiascos of Sound Transit and big-buck viaduct tunnels.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 am 
Note that the map has a layer showing which ones have been fixed. But you have to turn that layer on to see those.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 am 
At last, Restore Seattle begins! Seriously, it is about time that folks share in restoration. I would really like to see a salmon run once again on the upper Columbia in my lifetime. A very long fish ladder/canal around Grand Coulee dam? Perhaps that can be another lawsuit to take on . A bit of brainstorming: Build a long fish passage around the dam that can double as a kayak run.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Build a long fish passage around the dam that can double as a kayak run.
biggrin.gif They should do that at the Ballard locks as well - urban kayak play park!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 am 
It might be a good time to own an excavator and a dump truck. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am 
Salmon runs above Grand Coulee are closer to happening than you might think. Check out the salmon cannon. https://www.whooshh.com/ I believe I'll see fish runs return to the Upper Columbia in my lifetime.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 11:43 am 
Sorry to burst your bubble. The whoosh is super cool and I've seen it operate firsthand. It may likely play some role in restoration efforts..... But it's certianly far from a panacea in terms of getting salmon runs back into the upper Columbia and the 1100 miles above GC. For starters, there are 200 miles of reservoirs between Chief Joseph and the Canadian border, and then pretty much immediately more once in Canada. Add to the mix northern pike, which are showing up in increasing numbers in Lake Roosevelt. Put simply, the area above the dams, once spawning and rearing habitat, is just a continuation, maybe even more of a gauntlet than the lower river. (ETA, this also ignores another major component of downstream juvenile passage, a topic the Colvilles and others are just starting to look at now on Chief Joseph dam) Watching the Columbia Treaty process has been interesting and the show is just getting started. This round is in a way different political field than it was last time. It was last negotiated before the ESA, NEPA, Boldt/US v OR, and at a time when the tribes had much less cloud. I'm pessimistic about a return to the old days of huge Chinook, Coho, and steelhead runs, but I am optimistic for return of large sockeye runs which could use the big American and Canadian reservoirs.

JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 pm 
Great post, thanks for this.