Forum Index > Trail Talk > RIP, Pops.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 pm 
E's Mom wrote:
I think my dad, Larry Williams, knew Bill from the running community. He spoke often of a Bill whose last name starts with an I. They were friendly competitors. My dad is 82 and still runs, so I'm sure they ran into each other at races in their 70s. I'll let my dad know he passed. My condolences.
Last name is Kerr. However, I'm positive I know who Bill I is! Quite the competitor, Dad talked about him a lot, and they did meet at races. Dad was glad each time he was old enough to get into a new age bracket! smile.gif smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im so sorry to hear Soops. My mother died a week earlier at the same age. My condolences.... I wish I had met him.
Aww man, sorry to hear that. My condolences!!!!!!!!

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm 
A lovely remembrance of your father. Such wonderful images.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:25 pm 
sooperfly wrote:
E's Mom wrote:
I think my dad, Larry Williams, knew Bill from the running community. He spoke often of a Bill whose last name starts with an I. They were friendly competitors. My dad is 82 and still runs, so I'm sure they ran into each other at races in their 70s. I'll let my dad know he passed. My condolences.
Last name is Kerr. However, I'm positive I know who Bill I is! Quite the competitor, Dad talked about him a lot, and they did meet at races. Dad was glad each time he was old enough to get into a new age bracket! smile.gif smile.gif
That would be Bill Ifrig who is now 83 and still a very competitive runner. He is most famous for being on the cover of TIME when the bombs knocked him to the ground at the Boston Marathon in 2013.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm 
We have already talked and you know how much I liked and admired your Pops. He was a class act. I loved competing against him in races and win or lose we always had great times together after the races. He will be greatly missed but not forgotten. Celebrate a life well lived. Remember all the good times together! I sure will!!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
RIP. Thanks for sharing your loving tribute. Such a life and your father-son relationship is inspiring to read about.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm 
Sooperfly senior was indeed a class act. My favorite memory of him was when I stopped by his house after steelhead fishing out front. He shared a (very) wee dram of the most equisite Scotch I've ever sampled. He'd just returned home from the old country with some of it. I can picture him saying (in his Scottish brogue) "here you go Michael" as he poured this tiny thimblefull of uisce beatha that I swear turned to vapor in my mouth it was so smooth. Cool dude.

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 pm 
Quote:
However, I'm positive I know who Bill I is! Quite the competitor, Dad talked about him a lot, and they did meet at races. Dad was glad each time he was old enough to get into a new age bracket!
Sooperfly, I am sincerely sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like an incredible man and it is apparent that he was well loved by his friends and family. Coincidentally, Bill Iffrig has been my main hiking, running and climbing partner for many years. Also, he has been my father since the day I was born! smile.gif Sounds like our fathers were cut of similar cloth. How blessed are we!! I'll ask dad about your father this weekend, I am sure he will remember racing against him. My Dad loved the Bloomsday race and ran it almost every year. It sounds like it was one of your father's favorites as well. “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” Kahlil Gibran

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm 
Almost brings tears to my eyes. What a great man. I wish I had known him.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 pm 
Fitting tribute for Father's Day. Being a father is a great responsibility and also the opportunity of a lifetime. See above for details...

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 am 
Goats Know wrote:
Coincidentally, Bill Iffrig has been my main hiking, running and climbing partner for many years. Also, he has been my father since the day I was born! smile.gif Sounds like our fathers were cut of similar cloth. How blessed are we!! I'll ask dad about your father this weekend, I am sure he will remember racing against him. My Dad loved the Bloomsday race and ran it almost every year. It sounds like it was one of your father's favorites as well.
up.gif up.gif up.gif