Forum Index > Trail Talk > Get it while you can - it may get blazing hot
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 am 
While things are up and down the next week, it could get hot and stay that way beginning Sunday, but especially Monday-Tuesday of next week (eight days out). Currently that looks like 80 degrees at 5000' with almost no wind. But when these transitions happen, they are often initially understated..... Just lucky the Cascades have picked up 1-2" of rain this past couple of days. But east of the Cascades it was still bone dry as of yesterday though there was heavy rain at Easton in the evening. Thus far most east side sites have just a few hundredths to a tenth of an inch. The Baker and Paradise NWAC sites show 8-18" of new snow at 6000-7500', which instead of turning to corn will go right away to slop.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 pm 
This may be just what I need to finish the Bulgers biggrin.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 5:28 am 
My mother asked me when I was coming back East to visit and I told her when the smoke starts.

Living in the Anthropocene
gb

gb
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 am 
Matt Lemke wrote:
This may be just what I need to finish the Bulgers biggrin.gif
What are the bulgers? Are those the swellings you get from insect bites?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am 
They were a Club, or maybe a Gang...hahaha, of climbers. A brief rundown here: http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=5003

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
geyer

geyer
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm 
gb wrote:
Currently that looks like 80 degrees at 5000' with almost no wind.
gb where are you getting this info from?

gb

gb
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 pm 
Well this forecast more or less busted. I was going off the GFS and 850 mb charts which were moving more strongly in the direction of a heat wave. But then, this Friday system now looks to become a cut-off low over mostly eastern Oregon and that increases the likelihood of thunderstorms along the Cascade Crest and to the east and holds heights down in Washington with little effect in the Olympics. It still looks to become above normal in the mountains beginning about Sunday or Monday but temperatures look now like mid-70's to upper 70's by the end of next week. But model forecasts don't do well with the motion or changes in upper lows so at this point I wouldn't put much faith in what is going to happen after Saturday or Sunday. No confidence longer term. But about this time of year when a big ridge builds along the west coast with a low off the coast in the gulf of Alaska, it is often the transition to summer warmth.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:51 pm 
I wouldn't exactly call it a bust... the GFS just likes to overestimate the strength of features a bit. Still going to be hotter than normal this upcoming week though... perhaps not quite the extremes that the GFS was saying a few days ago but the GFS likes to do that.

gb

gb
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 am 
Actually, in forecasting heat waves I often find that the GFS and NWS forecasts (using multiple models) initially under forecast how warm it will get. It started to look that way in this case as a couple/few models were initially looking progressively warmer. Then, it went the other way and it still is trending this way. Yesterday's 850mb temperatures looked warmer out a few days than today's does. Temperatures aloft for a sunny period under high pressure now don't look particularly abnormal: 5000' temperatures from near 70 to near 80 depending on location (warmest on the east side). The lack of wind and June sun will make it feel warmer. Apparently, however, lowland temperatures are forecast right around record levels beginning tomorrow or more likely Monday. Anyway, I don't like warm to hot temperatures hiking, and so, I took my own advice. Yesterday was beautiful with temps mostly in the 50's. Towering cumulus were in the area but I only heard thunder once somewhere a good distance away. There were a couple of areas of light rain not far away. I'll hike early Sunday. After that I'll park it until Thursday or Friday.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 am 
Previous flavors of the GFS, especially the really old really low resolution versions, probably did underestimate things. The latest version(a year and half old IIRC) does overdo most wave patterns though, especially in the long range. However the latest version did come with a major overall accuracy increase in surface temperature and wind fields, and it is now smoking the other models(except for the euro whose stats I do not tally).

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Previous flavors of the GFS, especially the really old really low resolution versions, probably did underestimate things. The latest version(a year and half old IIRC) does overdo most wave patterns though, especially in the long range. However the latest version did come with a major overall accuracy increase in surface temperature and wind fields, and it is now smoking the other models(except for the euro whose stats I do not tally).
Interesting, I didn't know it had been revised. Something I've always used in prognosticating is the "first derivative" of the forecast models. It kind of goes like what we were talking about in this current heatwave. But I also use it in winter. So let's say that two days ago the models (as I say I only take the time to look at the GFS for most long term planning and the Forecast Discussion which fills me in on other models) that they were forecasting 850 temps to use an example of 18C. Now, two days later they forecast 20C. I usually find that that " trend" in the model will continue to go in the same direction for some undefined period of time. It really doesn't matter to me what variables are causing that under or over forecasting, just that it is happening. I've made the assumption that the models use some degree of long term persistence or climatology and I know that is the case from CPC discussions. So the models basically say that in this situation in the past this is what should happen give current parameters. And then, that there is something that the model is not picking up sufficiently be it ocean patterns or atmospheric patterns. A good example was the very warm and dry month of May. Looking out 3 days the forecasts remained dry, but looking out 5-10 days the GFS much of May kept making it look like the end of warm and dry would come and we would get much needed rain. But it never happened. It stayed dry and warm and even when finally at the end of May and early June turned cool to normal, no rain came. It wasn't until the past week that we finally got enough rain to make a dent. Using my "first derivative" concept, I am pleased that this current heat wave at least at 850mb petered out as we moved forward in time. I am hopeful that this will continue to be the case as similar meteorological heat wave patterns over the course of at least the early summer develop. For instance, one of the first signs of the possibility of a heat wave is the building of surface heat in the Four Corners. As that heat spreads north we are potentially at risk. So, right now ten days out the GFS shows record temperatures in the Four Corners. I'll be watching this Four Corners model "development" to see if it really happens as a data point for the "first derivative" concept. The last two late springs and early summers have been miserably hot (record hot) in the Four Corners and our summers have sucked as I see it. Maybe this won't be a threepeat.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 10:40 am 
Quote:
I've made the assumption that the models use some degree of long term persistence or climatology and I know that is the case from CPC discussions.
They used to for ocean-ice-land variables, although I believe the latest GFS version is, or at least tries to be, fully coupled with dependent variables of air-ocean-land-ice, initialized with real-world data. I know the air and ocean surface initializations are almost always great, but don't know how often ice and soil parameters default to climate values if real-time data is missing or suspect. Then there is a whole range of stats-tweaked mixes of climate and raw model data on various websites, that can add accuracy. Also the model was developed to provide the best accuracy based on prior experience, which in a way is putting some climatology in there.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 7:59 am 
Here we go again. Quite cool Friday but then progressively warmer especially after the weekend. Initially with the heat wave, freezing levels are not as high as last week and mountain temperatures (except west side valleys) may be about five degrees cooler than last week despite hot lowland temperatures west of the Cascades. But if the GFS model bears out mountain temperatures get bloody hot by the end of next week; perhaps 4-8 degrees hotter than last week at 5000'. The SW near the west coast could easily get to all-time record highs in the extended period. And very high temperatures near record levels look to persist from central Oregon and south. Don't go east towards Montana after about Tuesday nor south....... down.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 am 
gb wrote:
Don't go east towards Montana after about Tuesday nor south....... down.gif
Would you elaborate just a bit? Thank you GB!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 am 
The wind is blowing out of the north. BC has a lot of fires going right now. So, guess what? It isn't so thick that you can't see across the valley yet, but you can see it, and smell it. Yup, the smoke is here again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities