Forum Index > Trail Talk > RideShare Request/Transportation Advice North Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm 
Hey there, I have my itinerary together for a 17 day back country hike in the North Cascades, but I am at a gridlock as to transportation. I know that there is very limited public transportation to the park, but due to the length of the trip I don't find it practical to rend a vehicle that I will be using for all of 4 hours total. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get to the park via public transportation or how I can potentially reach out to someone to pay for a trip there and back from the Seattle airport? Any and all advice will be appreciated. I have done hours of research so far and haven't found anything in particular that doesn't involve at least half a day to get to the visitor center. Honestly, I know that the easiest method is to give in and get the rental. I just can't wrap my head around spending more money on a rental I'll barely use than the plane ticket itself. Thanks in advance, Lauren

Lauren
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm 
Can you fly into Bellingham International Airport? 70 miles to the park vs 120 miles to the park from SeaTac International Airport

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
gray matter

gray matter
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:31 pm 
Lauren, Depending upon your comfort level, you could fly into Seatac and then take the light rail into downtown Seattle. Then, hop onto an Amtrak that will drop you off in Mt. vernon, WA. Edit: you could also try looking into an airport shuttle service. They run up this way several times a day. Edit again: Airporter shuttle website: Airporter From Mt. Vernon, you are not too far from the North Cascades highway. If you get an Uber to take you from Mt. Vernon to Sedro Wooley, there's a ranger station there. Lots of climbers check in here for climbing information or to just meet and sort gear. A friendly smile and "where are you headed" might get you a ride to where you want to go. I drive the North Cascades highway quite a bit in the summer for camping and climbing. If I ever see a hiker who is looking for a ride to the trailhead, I will stop and offer a ride. I've met some really cool people, especially when the PCT through hikers are in the area. Good luck with your adventure! Also, post the dates that you are looking for transportation on this site. There are a number of folks right here who might be able to help you out.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm 
gray matter wrote:
Then, hop onto an Amtrak that will drop you off in Mt. vernon, WA.
gray matter has the neurons clicking all in sync. The walk from the light rail International District station to Amtrak is ~1 block. Uber to the ranger station and you are on your way. Couldn't think of a better way.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 pm 
It would help if you stated start and end dates and locations.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 10:48 pm 
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:51 am 
Thank you, guys, for all the advice. The dates will be August 10th (arrival) and August 24th (departure). We haven't officially booked Seattle yet, but that was the initial itinerary.

Lauren