Forum Index > Gear Talk > Solar Panel for Backpacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm 
Does anyone know where I can get one of those small solar panels that I have seen long distance hikers use? They attach them to the top of their pack while hiking. TIA

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 am 
Frequently updated reviews and links are available at Outdoor Gear Lab.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 am 
Thanks, Brian!

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 am 
While many thrus use them, I don't think they're the most effective way of holding charge in the back country. A simple battery pack is far more reliable. You KNOW your device will be charged, and how many charges you get. Plus, no futzing around, finding sun angle, strapping to the top of the pack, etc. Plug it in and done, period. GF and I each had a pack for our phones on our 8 day section of the High Sierra last year and they worked like a charm to keep the picture takers / Halfmile App runners going strong.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm 
I have a Renogy 10W Flex solar panel with a USB female plug-in. I picked it up a year ago and have used it while hiking and dry camping. Admittedly, I've used it on the Bridge Cr. trail from Hwy 20 to Stehekin and down in Escalante....both pretty sunny places. When I bought it a year ago, it was pretty light vs the competition and it's proven to be pretty robust (I've got kids, dogs, and am generally pretty rough on gear). On the trail, in good conditions, it kept my iPhone (with poor-performing battery) going while occasionally unplugging, shooting video, timelapses, etc., and in camp, I've been quite impressed with how well it re-charges my dead phone. A rechargeable battery pack may be more convenient, it just depends on your trip specifics, whether you've got a place you can recharge that, etc.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 1:59 pm 
FWIW: I used a 15W panel on my Canada-> San Diego Pacific Coast Bike tour last summer (Mid-July through August). It was pretty much useless from Lincoln City to San Francisco due to cloud cover and fog. South of San Francisco it was a bit more useful when used to charge an auxiliary battery.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm 
Like others have said, an Anker USB battery pack is usually the way to go. If you want the solar charger that's known around the long-distance community, the brand is Suntactics.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 pm 
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think for our six day trip at the end of the week we will try this little battery charging gadget that was picked up at REI a few years ago and never used. It weighs less than three ounces and doesn’t take up much room. We’re currently testing it to see how long it lasts. smile.gif

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:52 pm 
Looks like one of these: https://www.goalzero.com/shop/flip-family/flip-10-recharger/ States that it's good for about one phone charge, more or less (2600 mAh). The Google indicates an iPhone X, for example, has a battery capacity of ~2700 mAh, for reference. For others looking for a charger, something like a 8000-10000 mAh pack can be had for 30-40 bucks at the local Best Buy. That's between 2+ to 3+ recharges on the iPhone X, plus the full charge you take out of town. If you can't get by on 3-4 full charges....well....

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 pm 
Thanks TC, we will probably pick up the one you just described when we get back. I’m bringing my trusty old Nikon Coolpix with extra batteries for backup this trip.