Forum Index > Trail Talk > Good base camp 2-4 miles from the trailhead.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am 
A buddy sent me this:
Quote:
Hi Dante, I'm taking the boys backpacking in two weeks (on a Sunday -Tuesday) and I'm looking for a good spot that has water nearby (e.g. creek or lake), but is not overcrowded (getting kinda hard to find these days - part of why we are heading up on a Sunday). Looking for a 2-4 mile, easy/medium difficulty hike. Planning to set up camp Sunday, and then day hike Monday and return to base. Hump out on Tuesday. Any ideas off the top of your head for little-known gems?
I sent them the following ideas. Most are a little more than 4 miles in and some are above 4,000 feet where snow may still be a concern a couple weeks from now. Foss Lakes Surprise or Glacier Lake near Scenic Camp in one of the informal sites up the Taylor River and day hike the trails along/at the end of the river Through hike in the Granite Creek Trail and out the Ashael Curtis Trail. Although this wouldn't be a "base camp" hike, and would require 2 vehicles or someone to drop them off and pick them up, the daily mileage would be moderate. I also thought of Lake Eunice in the MNRP, but the road isn't scheduled to open for another week, and snow might be an issue. Any other ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:36 am 
White Pass. There is a campground by Leech lake and a trailhead right there. There are numerous loops you can take and lots of water (and bugs because of that).

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am 
Dorothy Lake on Hwy 2. It's only 2 miles in. Bring an inflatable boat and camp on one of the islands. My son and I did that when he was young. Day hike to Bear and Deer lakes or scramble up to Pugsley.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 am 
On a Sunday, could probably find a nice spot on the CleElum river up the SalmonLaSac fs road 4330. Set up camp and then drive to a trailhead. Day hike up Padddy-Go-Easy Pass. Sprite lake most likely still partially frozen. or Go to Peggy's pond and Cathedral Rock or Hyas Lake or Davis Peak Setting up camp on the Teanaway River will give you similar options as mentioned above

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am 
Thank you for the replies and great suggestions! I sent my buddy a link to this thread.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 am 
2-4 easy/moderate miles to any lake will most likely be overcrowded. On the Olympic Peninsula: Camp Handy on the Dungeness. Deer Lake up the Sol Duc (lots of camp spots but a walk-up permit would be required and could be tough to get - quota keeps it from being completely overrun) One of the nice forest camps along the North Fork Skokomish.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 am 
Hike in to Green Point on Ross Lake. Permit needed at Marblemount Ranger Station. Or to Big Beaver if more hiking needed. Travel up Big Beaver to see the giant cedars there. Or just hang out and fish or watch the day go by. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am 
Not sure on the snow on any of these but: Chinook Pass NOBO to Sheep Lake. Southbound to Dewey Lake. Behind the Hyak ski area is Windy Pass. Go south to Mirror Lake (longer approach). Super popular weekend destination, but on Sunday, should be clearing out. Shorter approach via trail 1302 past Cottonwood Lake from a road going past Lost Lake. Note - snow here should be gone, at least via the short approach, in a week or two. Lake Valhalla north of Stevens Pass, via the Smithbrook trail (?? on snow, although in a few weeks, should be doable). Janus is a bit further - same access. Yellow Aster Butte (been a VERY long time since I've been there) has some tarns, probably still snow bound. Cutthroat Lake. Stevens Pass South: The already mentioned Suprise and Glacier Lakes. Add Trap Lake and Hope Lake to the list via Tunnel Creek Trail. Pete Lake.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am 
What about Scottish Lakes?. I heard a mountain bike outfit took the camp over. Is the camp still open to hikers? It's pretty high, so snow may still be an issue in early July, but it would be a great area to set up a base camp and hike around.

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:33 pm 
While not a lake destination. I've found bean Creek Basin to be wonderful this time of year. it's about 2.5 miles in. you can camp right next to the creek. Day hike it up the ridge or up Earl Peak for absolutely stunning views of the Stuart range and the enchantments. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/bean-creek

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 pm 
I mean, look here's the deal. These ar eall good options!!