Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm 
The Tale of the Axe: How the Neolithic Revolution transformed Britain, Thames and Hudson, 2016. I really enjoyed this book. Scholarly but accessible and the anecdotes and revelations keep one interested to the end. I could have used more maps with more detail, but there were many illustrations and photographs. Here’s a quote from a review in History Today: Oxford is full of history, dating back to its settlement in Saxon times. Yet it is rarely associated with prehistory, especially the Neolithic period beginning just before 4000 BC. In the long hot summer of 1976, that picture changed, at least among archaeologists. During the heatwave, distinct large circles appeared in the parched grass of the University Parks. Traces of a major Bronze Age barrow cemetery became visible. Subsequent excavations beneath the Ashmolean Museum’s Sackler Library located another barrow and the ditch of a henge monument near Keble College, just across the road from the Parks. Today, it is accepted that Oxford is built on a major Neolithic and Bronze Age ceremonial complex. From the inside book jacket: We, modern humans, are one of the youngest species on the planet. For our first hundred thousand years we survived as hunters and foragers moving about the land, following seasonal resources. Only some ten thousand years ago, faced with climate change and rising populations, did humans revolutionize the ways in which we engaged with the world around us. By domesticating plants and animals we transformed out settlements, social relationships, diet and beliefs. Focusing on the British Isles, David Miles explores this period of societal change—the Neolithic, or “New Stone Age”—using the most iconic artifact of its time, the polished stone axe, as a guide to the revolution that changed the world. These formidable creations were not only crucial tools that enabled the first farmers to clear the forests, but also objects of great symbolic importance, signifying status and power, wrapped up in personal expressions of religion and politics. The book is divided into three parts with several chapter each—1) The Emergence of Humans. 2) The First Farmers. 3) Crossing the Water to Britain. I thought these words in Part 3 stood out. Whether they liked it or not, human beings had launched themselves on a new trajectory, hoeing or ploughing a furrow from which they could not easily retreat. The consequence, intended or not, was that the wild diminished as domestic crops, domestic animals and domestic human beings spread across newly transformed landscapes. I saw this book first in The Elliott Bay Book Company, Capitol Hill, Seattle. It's also available from The Seattle Public Library. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 09, 2018 4:41 pm 
Thanks for the recommendation on The Tale of the Axe, Zephyr! I just put a hold on this book at the library smile.gif I've been reading a lot on the Catholic faith. Checking out books my priest recommends, and those he mentions in his homilies. God is Not Nice by Ulrich Lehner is an excellent read, as is Pope Francis' The Name of God is Mercy. So many others, but these two stand out.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 09, 2018 5:59 pm 
A buddy recommended "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. Movie based on the book was mediocre but he said the book is much better. Just started it.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation on The Tale of the Axe, Zephyr! I just put a hold on this book at the library smile.gif
You're welcome. Excellent! ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 21, 2018 1:50 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
A buddy recommended "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. Movie based on the book was mediocre but he said the book is much better. Just started it.
So...the book went even further than the movie did. Throughout the book I wasn't quite sure whether to take it as a farce or a cautionary tale or both? Kinda bizarre. If you aren't familiar w/ the premise, imagine a tech giant that is basically like google/yahoo etc. combined w/ facebook and amazon, and pretty much monopolizes everything digital worldwide. Not content to stop there, they continue to privatize most functions currently handled by governments. And the citizenry loves it, enthusiastically giving up even the slightest notion of privacy. All information should be knowable to all people at all times. There are also surveillance cameras and drones pretty much everywhere as well. That was all troubling of course. Also an issue was that the main character was not very sympathetic. She was an idealist but pretty much an idiot and joined the worldwide cult of technology and tried to force it on friends and family that were not keen on the implications. Did not love it. There was also a previously undiscovered species of shark that was found in the Marianas Trench. It was insatiably ravenous, translucent, and digested everything it ate (which was anything it came into contact with) almost instantaneously. It was symbolic of course, but kinda dumb I thought.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm 
The Triumph of Christianity: How A Forbidden Religion Swept the World by Bart D. Ehrman, Simon and Shuster, 2018. This is an excellent work that I heard about through a podcast or radio interview. The Seattle Public Library has copies. Scholarly and accessible. If you enjoy learning about our Western civilization history during Late Antiquity, then this is for you. There is a great review of the book in the New York Times that the author published on his blog. Read it here. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 pm 
Last several books have been so-so. Think I got a winner finally. Debut novel from Karen Cleveland--"Need to Know." Espionage thriller. Plowed through more than half of it last night during a car bivi.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 pm 
Darwin was troubled by the fascinating display of the peacock's feathers. He knew it didn't offer any survival benefit yet it was selected for based solely on its beauty. In The Evolution of Beauty by Richard Prum the interaction between two independent evolutionary mechanisms, sexual selection and natural selection, is skillfully discussed. The book was recognized by The New York Times as one of the 10 best books of the year and if you enjoy the natural world you will feel enriched with this reading.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm 
Last several books have been so-so. Think I got a winner finally. Debut novel from Karen Cleveland--"Need to Know." Espionage thriller. Plowed through more than half of it last night during a car bivi.
This one kinda lost momentum and dragged to the finish line. Ending probably sets up a sequel but I probably won't continue. I've read a couple sequels lately that I didn't enjoy as much as the original. I've been all over the place lately, getting some ideas from reviews in the Seattle Times and Entertainment Weekly. Just started "Circe" by Madeline Miller. This is her second book (haven't read the other one yet, will check it out if I enjoy this) that puts a different spin on classic Greek mythology. This is that Circe that Odysseus encountered during his rambling adventures.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 pm 
zephyr wrote:
"The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs"
Before I read the next sentence I thought it might have been a book about GM, Ford, and Chrysler. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 5:09 pm 
I enjoyed the BBC series "Killing Eve" this spring. Just got the book that was the source material, "Codename Villanelle" by Luke Jennings. Off to a good start. Adaptations are always going to be different, but the book starts right off with Villanelle's backstory. The tv series slowly revealed bits and pieces of it as it went along.

mike

mike
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 10:47 am 
Atlas of a Lost World, Travels in Ice Age America Craig Childs

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:18 pm 
Tommy Caldwell's autobiography, "The Push". Determination, perseverance, self doubt, etc all led to him developing into a very highly successful rock climber. Well written, and well edited, and more details of his personal life than I would have included. I give it a sincere👍.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:10 pm 
I really enjoyed Ruth Ware's first two books. #3 was a dud. Thought I'd try again with her latest "The Death of Mrs. Westaway." About 70 pages in it was not grabbing me, set it aside, might be done w/ that author. So instead I got totally sucked into another YA sci fi/fantasy series. Sabaa Tahir is up to #3 of an expected 4 book series, so I have some catching up to do. Plowed thru the first book, "An Ember in the Ashes." Very enjoyable. Will be moving on to the second book shortly.

Toni

Toni
PostSat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm 
I really enjoyed Ruth Ware's first two books. #3 was a dud. Thought I'd try again with her latest "The Death of Mrs. Westaway." About 70 pages in it was not grabbing me, set it aside, might be done w/ that author.
I purchased "The Death of Mrs. Westaway" and like you, I could NOT get into it! Returned it. I have a formula, take 100, subtract your age, and if the book isn't grabbing you by page (answer, 30 for me), get another book! Life is too short.

There is no Planet B