Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
I don't care if the chillins are riding, walking, or just messing around with mud and sticks and pine cones all afternoon... it's all good. up.gif
Somebody showed me a hiking game for Android phones. She said the scenery is nice and the game is relaxing. eek.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am 
RichP wrote:
Who doesn't think about a beer and burger for about the last 1/2 of that hike?
Vegan teetotalers? But yeah, good restaurants probably do well. The food industry is highly competitive, even when population and wealth are on the rise. Leavenworth has been a tourism-focused town since the 60s, and the model seems to be serving them well. Having Seattle nearby probably doesn't hurt. Or to put it more bluntly, without Seattle nearby it would be just another impoverished logging town.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Don't suppose either of you could recommend some trails to try out in the area?
I don't mountain bike but Freund Canyon is a beautiful, mostly shaded loop and I think it only requires moderate skill.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Don't suppose either of you could recommend some trails to try out in the area? I have a road background.
I haven't done any of the L-town stuff myself, and that shuttle was only the second time I've been up into the hills above Wenatchee. But the latter HIGHLY worth checking out. When you're not too busy with that Android app, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm 
neek wrote:
RichP wrote:
Who doesn't think about a beer and burger for about the last 1/2 of that hike?
Vegan teetotalers? But yeah, good restaurants probably do well. The food industry is highly competitive, even when population and wealth are on the rise. Leavenworth has been a tourism-focused town since the 60s, and the model seems to be serving them well. Having Seattle nearby probably doesn't hurt. Or to put it more bluntly, without Seattle nearby it would be just another impoverished logging town.
Actually, Leavenworth was a railroad town, not a logging town. The railroad quit doing whatever they were doing and that was it. I'm thinking it was switching engines__electric to diesel and vice versa depending on which direction.. Then they went to all diesel. My uncle did work at a small sawmill somewhere near, but it was the pullout of the railroad that caused problems. Leavenworth used to be on the ski jumping circuit. It was a big deal when abc's Wide World Of Sports came to town and aired the jumping. That was before it was Bavarianed. Or at the beginning. Then the ski jumpers needed more and there was not enough run out room for them at Leavenworth. So many small towns had always had a tough time. When one business left, that left a big hole in employment opportunities as there was no internet for people to work remotely nor good transportation.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:07 pm 
^ yeah. railroad was the big money-maker originally. railroad went bye-bye. local economy hit the skids. some sharpie consultants were hired and came up with the idea of "Bavarian Village" and the town's never been the same place since. the tourists love it. when we were there in April there were no parking spaces available in the "downtown" shopping area. in the middle of the week. Jubilee is still the best place to check out while you're there. always something different - none of it made in China.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm 
You know a town has made it when visitors can be charged $200+ for a mediocre hotel room on a weekend.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
I have heard locals say the only thing left that resembles a town is over by Safeway. Out there you can get groceries, hardware, building supplies, etc. all within a short distance. The surrounding area is the zoo.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
You know a town has made it when visitors can be charged $200+ for a mediocre hotel room on a weekend.
Looked at purchasing a home in Leavenworth. There is a moratorium on rentals within the city limits. No Vacasa, Airbnb, VRBO or any other nightly rentals allowed within the city limits. Not sure how long that's been a thing City council and hotel / motel owners must be two in the same. Probably explains the high fees. No inventory. Charge what someone's willing to pay. However, I'm sure some private homeowners would / were getting pretty pissed off with the party house next door owned by someone in Seattle who rents / rented it nightly

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Joseph
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:01 pm 
^ Rental prices in Leavenworth are more than what those working in the service industry can afford to pay. The girls who change the sheets and vacuum the rooms in the condos and motels live at least as far away as Cashmere - with more of them living in Wenatchee. Of course the prices on motel rooms and BnB's are going to be high; the market will pay what it's willing to pay.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 am 
Ski wrote:
^ Rental prices in Leavenworth are more than what those working in the service industry can afford to pay. The girls who change the sheets and vacuum the rooms in the condos and motels live at least as far away as Cashmere - with more of them living in Wenatchee. Of course the prices on motel rooms and BnB's are going to be high; the market will pay what it's willing to pay.
That would be a reversal of where the commute was before Bavarianization. I believe Leavenworthians commuted to Dryden and Casmere to work in the fruit, and probably to Wenatchee. I don't remember much about the town before. I think it was similar to Cle Elum, which also was a railroad town. We just visited our relatives in Leavenworth or drove through on the way to camp at Lake Wenatchee or Fish Lake. My mom and dad lived on the Wenatchee River briefly before having kids, and talked about sometimes pitchforking a salmon for supper.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 am 
Ski wrote:
some sharpie consultants were hired and came up with the idea of "Bavarian Village" and the town's never been the same place since.
Actually, it was a person at the Bureau of Community Development @ UW named Woodrow Goomsba who came up with the idea.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Don't suppose either of you could recommend some trails to try out in the area?
I don't mountain bike but Freund Canyon is a beautiful, mostly shaded loop and I think it only requires moderate skill.
Thanks! I've ridden by Freund Canyon Road a few times, wondered what I might find up there. To the subject of this thread, I'm going to wind up paying for dinner and probably a hotel when I do this, along with a rental bike for a day.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm 
CC wrote:
Woodrow Goomsba
Ah yes, a true visionary.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm 
I can get pretty cranky about how crowded everything is these days, but they've found a winning formula and it's hard to begrudge them that. When you compare it to someplace like Forks, where I see all of the "wilderness doesn't grow jobs" signs and know that a lot of people out there would be happier to never have anyone visit, I'm not sure it's a bad thing.