Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 am 
This showed up on one of the thru hiker FB pages. While interesting, it's not very practical for backpacking. Specs: 7" diameter, 3" thick, 2.9 lbs $160....... 8000 mAh pack at Best Buy is ~$30. So for equal price I could get 5 of those, which would also be lighter (since they're ~1/2 lb each). Where I think something like this would be of more interest would be in an off grid setting. 15 watts of steady power with perhaps some solar to boost output during the day, coupled to a battery bank could provide enough for limited, intermittent usage. If the creek has the right space / flow, coupling several of these together could provide steady, if limited, power.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:04 am 
Looks like it is optimized for water. Unless you were up high on some wind-blasted ridge, and intended to stay there for some time(why?), I would be surprised to ever get a useful charge out of wind using that small-diameter fan. I'd vote for a battery over something like this 99 times out of 100. You would have to be set up near flowing water for a long long time in order for this to be cheaper and lighter than the equivalent energy from battery packs. Perhaps if I was floating the entire yukon...

bertman

bertman
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm 
This one is is only 24.339 ounces https://blue-freedom.net/hydro/portable/ although currently at 299 Euros, it's pricey.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:10 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Looks like it is optimized for water. Unless you were up high on some wind-blasted ridge, and intended to stay there for some time(why?), I would be surprised to ever get a useful charge out of wind using that small-diameter fan. I'd vote for a battery over something like this 99 times out of 100. You would have to be set up near flowing water for a long long time in order for this to be cheaper and lighter than the equivalent energy from battery packs. Perhaps if I was floating the entire yukon...
But if you used the battery to power that small fan, just think how efficient the fan would be. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm 
boot up wrote:
But if you used the battery to power that small fan, just think how efficient the fan would be. hockeygrin.gif
Cf. dehydrated water

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm 
If you use Plutonium it will also power your Delorian with benefits.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn