Forum Index > Trail Talk > Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm 
Hi Joey, I *love* GMAP4 and am really sad to hear about the changes. I don't think a day has gone by since you posted your links way back when that I haven't been on there at least once a day. I use it at home, at work, I love it. thanks for your work and I hope something gets figured out!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat May 26, 2018 4:25 am 
Still waiting for a decision... A couple of days ago I got an email from Google that asked if the allocation of 28,000 free Google map API downloads/month is enough for my needs. But I've already applied for more based on the disaster maps and other public service maps I produce. Seems like the fact that I applied for more should answer that question.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun May 27, 2018 11:10 am 
Wait so does this mean all maps I made in the past will no longer even work, and I will have to remake them with a different system?

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun May 27, 2018 7:23 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Wait so does this mean all maps I made in the past will no longer even work, and I will have to remake them with a different system?
Sad but *maybe* true. It all depends on Google's decision in reponse to my application for more than the minimum amount of free API downloads.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun May 27, 2018 7:40 pm 
Joey wrote:
Matt Lemke wrote:
Sad but *maybe* true. It all depends on Google's decision in reponse to my application for more than the minimum amount of free API downloads.
Well, I only made kml files with stuff on GE and only display these maps using Gmap via the mapping support link you made. I guess I'll still have the kml map files

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:31 pm 
Still no decision from Google but I just got word that Google has pushed back the date that the new rates go into effect. That date is now July 16th. Here is a pdf I wrote with some background info including an example of how my API download count spikes when there is a significant wildland fire. https://mappingsupport.com/p/future_of_gmap4.pdf And if you are curious, here is the map I have posted on social media for the Ute Park Fire in New Mexico which has burned a lot of the Philmont Scout Ranch (boundary = blue line).
View larger size in new window

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 pm 
That's good to know Joey. Of course I would find out about the date pushback AFTER I set up billing for my account. Guess I have a bigger window to move over to OSM now at least.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am 
I finally heard back from Google. Yes, they are allocating me more free API downloads. No, it is not nearly enough. For more info you can click “Gmap4 news” in the lower left corner of the map. https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php Work starts today to produce a new map using Leaflet. The new name will be GISsurfer. In broad strokes the goal is to replicate the features of Gmap4 minus the 4 Google basemaps. The first version of GISsurfer will display a very basic wildland fire map.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 am 
THANK YOU. I was trying to look up the Prosser fire last night, and honestly there's nothing else like your map to try and figure out what's going on. I was checking the MODIS/VIRS maps before we went on a 3 night backpacking trip to Waptus last weekend because there was a big lightning storm up there the night before we headed up on Thursday with our daughter. I deeply appreciate what you're doing to make this work, but honestly it feels like public agencies need to re prioritize this sort of mapping feature so citizens can make better decisions when it all hits the fan. Seems like it would be a good project for, say, the UW to get involved with. FWIW they're dealing w the Google API switch also with their excellent Doppler map: https://atmos.washington.edu/weather/radar.shtml

~Mom jeans on wheels
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 am 
On July 16th I will launch GISsurfer which is the Gmap4 replacement. This uses the free open-source Leaflet map API. Priority #1: Basic wildland fire maps Priority #2: Congressional district maps (Indivisible wants these) In broad strokes, my goal is to replicate most of the Gmap4 features. Hmmm.... An idea is hatching It would be nice if there was a way to breath a bit of life into all the old Gmap4 links and embedded maps. Gmap4 will actually continue but only for 2 narrow use cases, neither of which benefits this site. To accomplish that, I tweaked the code so that starting the evening of July 15 the Google map API will only load if certain conditions are met. If those conditions are not met, the user will see a message. That message could include a GISsurfer link. Of course it will be awhile before GISsurfer is able to habla the same link parameters as Gmap4. Note that I cannot do a global redirect Gmap4 --> GISsurfer since that would break the 2 use cases that will continue to use Gmap4. So the big picture goal is to provide some kind of bridge between all the Gmap4 links floating around out there and GIS surfer.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 pm 
Was there any updates on this? I see all my embedded maps I have posted on sites like SP and my own website still don't work.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm 
Gmap4 does live on but only for a few limited use cases not relevant here. Under the new pricing scheme Google allows its map API to be downloaded ~900/day for free. Those limited use cases do not exceed that free amount of usage. GISsurfer has been launched as the replacement for Gmap4. GISsurfer is based on the free open-source Leaflet map API. The following link starts GISsurfer and displays the default map of the world. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php The interface and concepts are the same as in Gmap4. For documentation click Menu ==> Help. For more documentation click Menu ==> GISsurfer special maps. Scroll down Open any map Click "Map tips" in the upper left corner. Alas, the Leaflet API does not have native support for GPX/KML/KMZ files. Earlier this year I wrote code to convert KMZ to GeoJSON (Leaflet has native support) so I could produce wildland fire maps. When an infrared equipped airplane flies over a fire, one of the data end results is a KMZ file with the fire perimeter and related data. At some point (mid to late 2019 at earliest) I will likely add a much more general ability to display most GPX/KML/KMZ files. There are other other higher priority features to get done first. If you would like to keep informed of updates to GISsurfer then I suggest you follow me on Twitter: @mappingsupport or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GISsurfer/

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 am 
Ok thanks Joey. Looks like I’ll have to wait another year before my maps will work again. Thanks for all your hard work!

gb

gb
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:26 am 
Ditto, Joey. The information you provide during wildfires is extremely valuable. Thank you.