Forum Index > Gear Talk > Crampons
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 pm 
I'm totally new to using crampons so this may just be stupid BUT. I'm hiking 50 miles soon and I don't want to do it in heavy, costly, new mountaineering boots but I'm afraid some sections may require crampons. Is there any way to attach them to shoes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
filbert

filbert
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm 
What's the terrain that requires crampons? Would microspikes suffice? Give us more information!

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm 
why on earth would you be going on a 50-mile hike requiring crampons in brand new boots? are you some kind of masochist? you might give consideration to a used, broken-in pair of boots that will accept a crampon.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 am 
No I agree. I don't own mountaineering boots so in order to wear crampons correctly I'd have to buy and use new boots. That's wat I'm trying to avoid!

Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 am 
Yessir! Alpine lakes region Rampart ridge backdoor "East Alta " summit Nothing sketchy til we scramble summit chief s shoulder by vista ridge Then all kinds of slopes as we spend a couple days hiking la bohn gap, summiting hinman, and otter point.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 am 
Only experi ence will tell if you “ need” crampons. Like several other things most of the time you do not need them (exception late summer on glaciers you always need them along with either plastic or old school mountaineering boots). Spikes and soft boots work here for most non technical. If you cannot determine what to do you should be prepared to bail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 am 
Understandably, buying a pair of used boots is kind of a crap shoot, but there's no shortage of them in the second-hand market, especially when you're talking about old-school stiff-shank mountaineering boots. Take a look at Craigslist or Ebay. Just my two cents.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am 
I think I’ll close this post since there isn’t a solution outside of boots. Ty for not treating me like I’m an idiot for this. I didn’t want to change my shoe for a just in case circumstance but it looks like I’ll have to if there’s a possible need for crampons.

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 11:09 am 
I use strap on crampons on flexible sole boots quite frequently. Crampon Types explains the different types. You cannot use step in crampons unless the boots are designed for them. You can use the hybrids if the heel is compatible. The strap crampons will fit on nearly any high top boot and can be set for flexible or stiff soles.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I use strap on crampons on flexible sole boots quite frequently.
This. I've used Stubai strap on aluminum crampons with fairly soft boots many times. Certainly not the best for ice, and don't expect them to last forever if you wear them on rocks. But they're fairly light, and work well in many conditions.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 pm 
From what I can tell from you cryptic description, your route should go in B1 boots (UK rating), many of which are marketed in the U.S. as "backpacking boots." A full strap/hinged (C-1) crampon will fit and work fine on a B1 boot. (Stubai Ultralight mentioned by schifferj is a good quality C-1 crampon.) Also, you will be encountering lots of scree, talus, steepish heather, dirty rock, etc., and will want a B1 (of stiffer, although B-1 would work for me) boot for that. Re taking such a trip with new boots, I can't help you there.