Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Who killed the Iceman? An alpine mystery and very cold case.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 pm 
For fun, here's the GMap4 satellite view of the location where they found Otzi's body in 1991.
View larger size in new window
Bernardo wrote:
My question: was he integrated into a tribe or was he socially isolated? If he was integrated, was he going toward or away from home on his last journey. Looks like he was definitely a hiker who enjoyed a good steep climb.
From the Wiki page: Analysis of pollen, dust grains and the isotopic composition of his tooth enamel indicates that he spent his childhood near the present village of Feldthurns, north of Bolzano, but later went to live in valleys about 50 kilometres farther north.[13] From reading all the various articles, etc. above, one can see that he had complex tools and very sophisticated clothing for the terrain he was in. From various analyses it has been determined that he likely worked as a copper smelter. I would say, "Yes," he was integrated into a village and network of intra Alpine communities. If you really want to dive deep into Neolithic (and Chalcolithic) culture and technology, check out The Tale of the Axe, that I reviewed (05/08/18) in this thread. Re: Otzi as a hiker: By examining the proportions of Ötzi's tibia, femur and pelvis, Christopher Ruff has determined that Ötzi's lifestyle included long walks over hilly terrain. This degree of mobility is not characteristic of other Copper Age Europeans. Ruff proposes that this may indicate that Ötzi was a high-altitude shepherd.[19] Then add this part from the GizModo article that BPG posted: By analyzing the pollen contained within the foods consumed by Ötzi, along with other prior evidence, Wierer and her colleagues were able to reconstruct his hectic itinerary in the hours before he died. ... Roughly 33 hours before his death, the Iceman was up in the mountains at a height of 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) above sea level. From there, he made a descent along the southern slope of the alpine ridge, reaching a location where he spent some time before making another ascent up the mountains. He climbed to a height of 9,800 feet (3,000 meters) about four to five hours before his death. Ötzi managed to eat three meals during this 33-hour period, including a final meal about two hours before he was killed. ... There's an image of the time-line in the article. Maybe someone can capture it and post it in the thread. wink.gif ~z .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Ancient 'Iceman' shows signs of a well-balanced last meal 07/12/18

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message