Forum Index > Trail Talk > Need help with reinstalling NWTopos onto GPS!! -- SOLVED
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 4:32 pm 
I had previously installed NWTopos onto my PC and using BaseCamp, installed the NWTopo maps onto my Garmin GPS several times. Everything has always worked fine. I've probably done this 6 times before without a hitch. Now I have a new-ish PC. I had installed NWTopos onto my new PC a couple months ago, but made the mistake of selecting "High visibility trails" and the trails on the map were definitely "high visibility", but they looked like roads! So today, I reinstalled NWTopos into BaseCamp (latest version of BaseCamp) choosing "Dashed trails" (or something like that) which makes it much easier to make out the trails. It took a couple tries to completely get rid of the trails that looked like roads (on a certain zoom level, they still looked like roads), but I eventually got everything displaying correctly. Note that I played with the files "100D8.TYP" and "100D8_Dashed.TYP" which are supposed to allow you to change the display of trails without having to reinstall everything, although I did ultimately do a complete reinstall to get 100% of the trails to display correctly. At this point, everything seemed to work fine on BaseCamp. THEN, I went to the "Install Maps" option on BaseCamp. I plugged in my Garmin GPS and BaseCamp recognized it, then chose all the areas I wanted -- mostly just WA state, plus a few tiles for Canada and Oregon. Then I chose "Install", and it seemed like it was working, except that it only took a minute or less, which was a bit suspicious since it had always taken something like an hour to install in the past. Bottom line: None of the NWTopo files transferred! I got nothing other than the more or less useless Garmin base map! I tried again maybe 2-3 times before coming here to ask for help. Any ideas what I might have done wrong? Maybe a security setting? (There were no warnings or error messages) Something to do with that 100D8.typ file? (Seems unlikely) Something to do with me using a newish Windows 10 PC? Some dumb mistake? Any help greatly appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
over the hill

over the hill
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am 
I have the same problem. I tried installing some maps for my kids trip to Utah this spring and after a few hours of transferring files, ...nothing except the Garmin base map. I have a 60csx. I thought the micro SD card might have a problem so I bought a new one and the same thing happened. Then tried transferring files directly from Basecamp to the card with the same issue, long transfer time and no new map on the receiver. I've got a marine Bluechart down on the boat GPS I'll bring home tonight and see if it will still read it. By the way I have a Mac.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 12:48 pm 
I think I figured out the problem. I have an older laptop with the previous version of BaseCamp (ie version 4.6.2) and tried downloading maps from there and it worked fine. So I did some googling on issues connected with BaseCamp version 4.7 and apparently it's version 4.7 that's the problem. See https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/ for the warning about BaseCamp 4.7 and what to do to fix it.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm 
FYI, I tried option a) on the web link I showed above and it worked fine; ie didn't uninstall version 4.7, but did reinstall an earlier version of MapInstall version 404 and now it works as before.

mike

mike
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:06 pm 
Thanks for the heads-up NS up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 am 
I'm glad you found the problem and thanks for letting us know. Unrelated to your problem, I have upgraded to BaseCamp 4.7 and I'm not having trouble with the maps (they're all installed already). But a menu feature to export directly to Google Earth was removed, which is a pain because I do that for all my tracks. Now I need to export the GPX file then import into Google Earth -- not too bad but a lot of extra clicks and fussing around with the name of the track.

bk

bk
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 am 
Interesting. Good you got it sorted out. My (Mac) Basecamp is still at version 4.0.4. My attempt to upgrade the Basecamp (Mac) software (to whatever the next vers. was at the time) seemed okay at first . . . populated by my hundreds of tracks . . . but a careful eyeball of the situation, before and after, show 699 tracks before the upgrade (while still on 4.0.4) and then the "upgraded" version had 423 tracks . . . . . . ! It lost 276 of my tracks . . . ! Reinstalling 4.0.4 . . . and all the 699 tracks were intact again. (This was repeatable.) Called Garmin tech support once a year for a few years (2014, 2015 . . . ) to see if any progress of this weirdness had been identified or documented. It was kind of tough getting them to reassure me this would be entered into their "known problems" database . . . so it could be cross-referenced, whatever, if it ever showed up again (or had shown up before) with other customers. But it seems like it did get entered . . . but likely lost awash in the sea other software glitches they had on their list to fix. Not to put them down. Generally the software works great, (if you don't sneeze; "sneeze" meaning "upgrade"). Super useful. Tech support seemed very accessible . . . did screen-sharing sessions . . . spending a good hour or so each time . . . but no luck. Thus my version is 4.0.4. (The workaround, in my case, would be to export all 699 existing tracks in manageable chunks . . . and reimport them into the new version . . . a good back-up idea, too. But whatever.)

over the hill

over the hill
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 am 
Thanks NS! That worked although I used my old Mac which still had Basecamp 4.2.4, MapInstall 4.0.1, and an older version of NWtopo. Downgrading on the newer laptop to 4.6.2 didn't transfer last night so i'll play around with it some more. Noticed the latest NWtopo file is over a gig now and that may explain some of the transfer issue on older units.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm 
over the hill wrote:
Thanks NS! That worked although I used my old Mac which still had Basecamp 4.2.4, MapInstall 4.0.1, and an older version of NWtopo. Downgrading on the newer laptop to 4.6.2 didn't transfer last night so i'll play around with it some more. Noticed the latest NWtopo file is over a gig now and that may explain some of the transfer issue on older units.
Note that if you're going the downgrading-back-to-version-4.6.2 route, you have to first completely uninstall version 4.7 first, then reinstall version 4.6.2, otherwise the newest version of Mapinstall (which is the real culprit) may remain.