Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves cause researcher to climb tree in Okanogan Co. - Heli sent in for rescue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 1:50 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
If you're worried about wolves, there's something sorta similar that is far more likely to attack you. But go ahead and carry on with the fear mongering and hyperbole. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiFzICLvZvcAhUh8IMKHQV0CZoQFghdMAs&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States&usg=AOvVaw0_mR6LC-KpDOevFXG0DrRA
Most of those attacks are by the family dog. So I guess you're most likely to be attacked by the family wolf or bear than a wild one?
Don't recall on bears but you are bang on on wolf attacks. Most of those (save Europe a couple centuries ago) were either by someone trying to turn a wolf or halfbreed into a pet. The others were thought to have been by a rabid wolf. So, there you go. It is easy to find statistics on attacks by bears and wolves by a quick google search. A fast read as well, there aren't many of them. Probably about as likely to get hit by a falling telephone pole. But then fact would get in the way of hyperbole.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:48 pm 
I just talked to Steve and my wife and I were on Tiffany via Freezeout Ridge yesterday on top I heard some howling and she asked me what it was I told her probably coyotes but I also said you usually hear them at night the howling then started sounding like it came from multiple sources and turned into an angry and aggressive sounding growling and barking and I told her those sound more like dogs or wolves and I kept my eye out for anything on the trail below coming up through the open meadows it wasn’t much later that we saw a helicopter come in and she asked about that and I told her it was a military looking chopper possibly SAR but in and out we saw no vehicles or people including at Half Way Springs now I knew nothing of the incident but I told Steve about it and he read the news story and sure enough we were hearing and seeing what had unfolded we were miles away from the incident but it was so loud I thought it was near our TH but no doubt the wolves were pissed and aggressive, but they are wolves and this isn’t a metro park there were quite a few cattle on and around Boulder Creek Rd. the ranchers can’t be to happy about this and it had to be terrifying for the researcher.

Living in the Anthropocene
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
but no doubt the wolves were pissed and aggressive
Where do you get this? Wolves howl and bark. No doubt this is speculation. It was apparently terrifying to the researcher. But whether that terror was justified is the question.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I don't see anywhere in those articles that the wolves "chased" the researcher up a tree or were aggressive.
Sorry if my sarcasm/facetiousness was misconstrued there, Schroder. ==
gb wrote:
But whether that terror was justified is the question.
SRSLY? You're going to be the one to make the call as to whether or not another person's "terror was justified"? SRSLY?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 am 
Ski wrote:
gb wrote:
But whether that terror was justified is the question.
SRSLY? You're going to be the one to make the call as to whether or not another person's "terror was justified"? SRSLY?
Do you know the meaning of the word "question"?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 3:47 am 
Obviously she thought the terror was justified. Now each person has their own threshold when it comes to terror. Was the person in North Bend level of terror justified. I know apples and oranges, wolves and cougar. What trend is this setting. More people in the woods, larger chances of animal/human conflict or a larger predator population than what it can or should sustain? Your call, I just choose to be prepared for a conflict rather than sit at home.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:46 am 
gb wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
Where do you get this? Wolves howl and bark. No doubt this is speculation. It was apparently terrifying to the researcher. But whether that terror was justified is the question.
I guess you had to have been there what I heard was from miles away it sounded like a wild pack of dogs now I would be the first to say among predators humans are the worst there is ample evidence of that everywhere the wolves are just doing what wolves do in a stressful environment I read not to long ago that humans have so altered the world that they are now the main drivers of evolution that is amazing and should not be taken lightly.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:46 am 
gb wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
I guess you had to have been there what I heard was from miles away it sounded like a wild pack of dogs now I would be the first to say among predators humans are the worst there is ample evidence of that everywhere the wolves are just doing what wolves do in a stressful environment I read not to long ago that humans have so altered the world that they are now the main drivers of evolution that is amazing and should not be taken lightly.

gb

gb
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 am 
wildernessed wrote:
gb wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
This seems a balanced reply. But we perceive our environment and sometimes those perceptions lead to questionable analysis. The WDFW report that Ski posted seems to make sense on all counts.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:49 am 
This article explains what happened really well http://methowvalleynews.com/2018/07/14/forest-researcher-rescued-by-helicopter-after-being-treed-by-gray-wolves/
Quote:
WDFW, which manages wolves in the area in collaboration with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), said the researcher was close to a wolf denning site or rendezvous area. It’s common for wolves to bark, howl and approach people or other animals when protecting their pups, said Joe Stohr, acting director of WDFW. Rendezvous sites are home or activity sites where weaned pups are brought from the den until they are old enough to join adult wolves in hunting, according to USFWS. The wolves the woman encountered are members of the Loup Loup pack, which has a den site in that area, according to USFWS. GPS data from a collar showed that at least one adult wolf from the pack was near the area that morning, according to USFWS. The woman radioed for help around 12:40 p.m. The researcher reported seeing wolf tracks and hearing yipping and barking for some time before the wolves approached, according to USFWS. She made repeated attempts to scare the wolves away, including yelling, waving and using bear spray, and ultimately climbed a tree and radioed for help because a wolf “was displaying behaviors that she considered threatening,” according to WDFW.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 pm 
It is, from the scant details in the last WDFW press release, sounding more like this young lady ventured into forbidden territory. What seems a bit odd, though (although maybe I'm reading too much into this) is that there seems to have been a gap in the lines of communication between USFS (the agency the salmon researcher was working for) and USFWS (the agency tracking the location of the collared wolves.) Possibly a bit more inter-agency communication/coordination might have prevented this incident, which could have ended much differently.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm 
Schroder wrote:
This article explains what happened really well http://methowvalleynews.com/2018/07/14/forest-researcher-rescued-by-helicopter-after-being-treed-by-gray-wolves/
Quote:
WDFW, which manages wolves in the area in collaboration with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), said the researcher was close to a wolf denning site or rendezvous area. It’s common for wolves to bark, howl and approach people or other animals when protecting their pups, said Joe Stohr, acting director of WDFW. Rendezvous sites are home or activity sites where weaned pups are brought from the den until they are old enough to join adult wolves in hunting, according to USFWS. The wolves the woman encountered are members of the Loup Loup pack, which has a den site in that area, according to USFWS. GPS data from a collar showed that at least one adult wolf from the pack was near the area that morning, according to USFWS. The woman radioed for help around 12:40 p.m. The researcher reported seeing wolf tracks and hearing yipping and barking for some time before the wolves approached, according to USFWS. She made repeated attempts to scare the wolves away, including yelling, waving and using bear spray, and ultimately climbed a tree and radioed for help because a wolf “was displaying behaviors that she considered threatening,” according to WDFW.
Let me chime in here. I can't stand it anymore! I don't know why WDFW & USFWS is downplaying such a serious event! I was there! I was bounding through the area while wearing my Skywalkers
I happened upon a "pack" of wolves. Not just one "friendly little doggie". It was a entire pack look'n like they wanted to open up a can of Whoop Ass on something.
They were acting as if they had treed some prey. I suddenly heard...."JUST SLIP OUT THE BACK, JACK, MAKE A NEW PLAN, STAN DON'T NEED TO BE COY, ROY, JUST LISTEN TO ME HOP ON THE BUS, GUS, DON'T NEED TO DISCUSS MUUUUUUUCH JUST DROP OFF THE KEY, LEE, AND GET YOURSELF FREE!" I looked up into a tree and spotted this...
I yelled up to her... "HEY! THAT'S THE LYRICS TO "50 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER!" She yells back, "I KNOW" I yelled up to her, "WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING THOSE LYRICS!?" She says, "TO SCARE THE PACK OF WOLVES AWAY. I READ IT ON THE INTERNET!" I hollered back, "THAT ONLY WORKS ON CAVE CRAWLERS" https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8026235 "I"LL CALL IN A HELI" I bounded down the trail until I was able to reach cell service. The helicopter part of that story, is the ONLY part that's true.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 4:21 pm 
Bevery Garland scream
Bevery Garland scream

DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:22 pm 
At first I thought that was my wife in the tree. But then I realized she cannot carry a tune.

"May you live in interesting times"
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 am 
gb wrote: wildernessed wrote: but no doubt the wolves were pissed and aggressive Where do you get this? Wolves howl and bark. No doubt this is speculation. It was apparently terrifying to the researcher. But whether that terror was justified is the question. Ask the school teacher whether she was terrified:2010 aslaska school teacher wolf attack The forensic details. The wolves were not in defense of den or kill site, they were traveling as a pack on the same road as the teacher and she jogged right into them. the report details how they circled her, knocked her down drew blood and continued their attack with multiple wolves involved. I'm thinking the rescued researcher is counting her lucky stars she had a tree to climb and her cell phone got reception. I don't hate wolves. But I do understand and appreciate how they think and how they operate. after all Harry Loves and adore's their kissing cousin the Malamute. I'm not a wildlife biologist but I do get drunk howl at the moon and sleep outside with big furry canines. It won't bode well for the wolves if the uninformed/unprepared masses go traipsing through the wilderness thinking the possibilities aren't there because they haven't been for the last hundred years, well except for the last 10 years. Times are a changing and here's your sign. if that researcher had a dog with her, she would have been up a tree watching her hiking dog disemboweled and torn to bites while she watched.

hikes and climbs with malamute