Forum Index > Trail Talk > It should come as no surprise but it is going to be hot in the mountains
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Beginning yesterday and continuing through at least Tuesday freezing levels are going to be very high 16,500' (which would have been a record prior to the last decade) and trending to 14,000 to 15,000'. There is a minor dip late today and Saturday morning and then probably a significant drop for at least two-three days later next week. A 1000' change in the freezing level on average in dry conditions translates to about 2 degrees C. Until the last 24 hours the NWS hadn't been forecasting commensurate warm to hot temperatures at 5000' but now they are catching up with the upper level high pressure. Originally, they were calling for about 70 degrees at Paradise but that has been bumped to the mid-80's. Other mountain forecast temperatures have been bumped 8-10 degrees as well and may yet be a bit warmer still. It will be hottest especially South Cascades and even more so Cascade east slopes. Stay thirsty my friends. Me, I'll sit this one out except maybe Saturday.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 1:23 pm 
On the Summit of Devore Peak on Friday it literally felt like an oven...even with a breeze. If I hadn't been able to make the 7000 foot hike up there early in the morning I wouldn't have made it because it was 100 degrees in Stehekin that day eek.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
gb

gb
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
Temperatures the last two days have been especially warm with very upper 70's to low 80's the rule west of the Cascades and as high as 91 at Blewett Pass. I looked yesterday on the NWS site and areas like the base of Johnson Ridge were in the mid-90's - nice for hiking. We will be at risk again around the beginning of next week although it is not yet clear in weather models. But there is a huge area of high pressure covering the entire SW that appears to persist. Freezing levels under this air mass may be as high as 19,000'. This, if it happens, exceeds the warmest air aloft the past two blazing hot summers. Temperatures nearer the surface are not as hot as last year so far because of the monsoon. Before the monsoon came in, in early July Los Angeles hit 108F which was 4.5 standard deviations above average. Nearby temperatures were as high as 118F. As long as that hot air is nearby we remain at risk.